Profile for Swinster > Reviews

Driveclub (PS4)
Driveclub (PS4)
Offered by Fame_Game

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Foundation..., 13 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Driveclub (PS4) (Video Game)
So I'm sitting here on my sofa, a race is beginning, I step on the gas and fly away, my jaw drops as I stare in disbelief at how realistic this game looks, around 30 seconds into the race and I forgotten I was playing a game altogether- it looks THAT good. This moment taken place on one of the Scotland race-tracks, I felt like I was really there, in Scotland, racing a beautiful car around a beautiful locale, I'm guessing this is what Virtual Reality feels like the first time. In other words, next-gen has finally arrived.
It goes without saying then, that this game plays as good as it looks, afterall, this level of immersion wouldn't be possible if the gameplay was terrible, for the kind of game that this is I think this has the absolute best handling model out there, but not only that, the track design is phenomenal, the cars all stand apart from each other, each one with its own unique characteristics and strengths/weaknesses.
I'll sum this up now, before I gush for hours-
Pro's-
Amazing physics
Beautiful cars that are unique from each other
Jaw dropping world
Top notch track design
The best graphics on consoles to date
Everything is dynamic/living and breathing, truly next-gen
replayabilty is very, very high, you could easily sink 50 hours into this before even going online
The game will continue to evolve over the next 12 months
Unprecedented immersion
Cons-
At the time of writing, the online is having issues, which is frustrating for a 'social racer'
Gameplay modes lack variety(Race, Drift event, Time trail, that's it)
Collision penalties are draconian at times

8/10, this score would be higher if the online was fully-working, and with all the updates planned for the next 12 months, I'm expecting great things from this game, the foundation is there for sure, if your a big racer-fan, atleast rent this, you need to experience this next level of immersion, Drive Club isn't just about the driving, its about experiencing the world that its set in too, and I feel sorry for anybody that misses out on this experience, there's nothing else like it, I'd probably consider this to be the first truly 'next-gen' game since its the first one to show me something amazing that I haven't seen before.
EDIT- LOL at all the one star reviews from people who just so happened to give the new Forza a 5/5, tut tut.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2014 10:34 PM BST

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Biggest Surprise of the Year!, 31 May 2014
After years of mediocre Wolfenstein games here comes 'The New Order to recapture the magic of old school shooters. Thing is, with nostalgia largely being a set of rose-tinted glasses, with gleeful thoughts of a past you know can never be replicated(i.e. 'it'll never be the same again') 'The New Order absolutely captures this lightning in a bottle by staying true to its roots whilst also updating the formula where necessary. The result- you get the best of both worlds, old and new.
If you were a gamer-kid in the '80s or '90s, this game will remind you of why you ever started gaming in the first place. Remember how the challenge of a game was a large part of the fun? Remember the cool boss battles? Remember how there was consequence for your actions, or how the focus was on tight controls and gameplay? Wolfenstein has all of this.
Wolfenstein nails the basics, it feels so good to simply shoot a gun, this is thanks to the recoil, the sound effects, the way your guns actually do real damage to the environment and Nazi bodies, the way the Nazis react as bullets riddle them, staggering backwards and flailing their arms and torso's all over the place, you can even relieve them of their limbs if for example you were at close range with a shotgun. How so many shooters fail on all of these fronts today is beyond me, but in The New Order, the guns feel real, they do serious damage, in short- you don't feel like your shooting a potato gun.
The controls are also perfection, in old school fashion, you can fire from the hip and its just as accurate as aiming down the iron sights, there is a 'lean' mechanic here where you can take cover say, behind a corner, hold L1 and then tilt the analogue stick to lean around, or you could be crouching behind a box and then use the lean mechanic to peak your head up just enough to return fire. This mechanic adds so much to the game that its hard to overstate its brilliance.
There are also multiple ways to approach each situation in the game, you can go in guns blazing, full-assault with dual wielded shotguns, or you can sneak around, strategically taking guards down quietly without being seen, or a mixture of the two as I did- that is, you start an area by taking out the enemies which can call for reinforcements, after removing them from the equation you go nuts!
Every location you visit in game is very interesting, from an asylum to some place out this world, its all very engaging. The writing and story is also surprisingly brilliant, you really empathise with these characters and are completely in-tune with their motivations. The game is around 18-20 hours long unless you play on easy mode, it has oodles of replayability and lots of unlockable modes of play, such as ''Iron Man Mode'', witch gives you one life to complete the whole game on or ''999 Mode'', witch gives you ''999% more action, 999 health and unlimited ammo''.
I wholeheartedly recommend this game to shooter fans old and new, for a single player only game, there is a lot of substance here, I know I'll be playing this game for years to come, and who the hell isn't already hooked at the concept of a world where the Nazis won the war? Who doesn't want to kill Nazis? This game provides you with that fantasy, if your a fan of shooters, BUY IT!

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4)
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4)
Offered by Turbotrance

4.0 out of 5 stars Phantom Pain! Why do you taunt me!?, 19 May 2014
Lets cut to the chase- you want to know if this is worth the money, right?
Are you a completionist who will play a game over and over in order to find all Easter eggs, unlockables, improve your play through, achieve high scores, set records, you like to master the hardest difficulty, you experiment to see what's possible in-game and leave no stone unturned? If so, you can't go wrong with this game, having played it for over 30 hours with plenty left to do, I can confidently say that there is plenty here for you.
Or are you the type of gamer who finishes a game and moves on to the next one, you don't care about unlockables, you don't care about mastering the game, or trying higher difficulties, or competing for high scores, finding Easter eggs etc and you are only here for the story? If so, I wouldn't recommend this game to you.
Whatever side your on, there is no denying the sublime design in this game, being a prologue to the next main entry in the Metal Gear Solid franchise, Phantom Pain, Ground Zeroes perfectly demonstrates how 'Pain has the potential to be one of the best games of all time when it releases. This game seriously puts other open-world titles to shame, the true openness of not only the environment, but the mechanics and gameplay, is what puts it ahead of everything else in my opinion and is a true step forward for open world games.
There are so many ways to accomplish your mission, infact, the game keeps stats witch tell you all sorts of information, how many head shots you have in total, how many complete stealth runs you've accomplished, how many no kill runs you've completed, your longest head shot range, and how many missions you've completed to name but a few, it reveals here that I have played the main mission through 67 times and as I've been experimenting with this game to see what's possible(or to see what's not possible?) I can tell you that no two play troughs have ever been the same in my 67 playthroughs and because of this the game just does not get boring.
Its this truly organic gameplay in a believable world with many paths, strategies, side objectives, some of the best AI in games ever, hilarious easter eggs, tight mechanics, spot on controls and amazing visuals that solidified this as a ''best of the best'' kind of production.
Ground Zeroes is but a single main mission with 6 extra missions thrown in for good measure, they're all fun, all insanely replayable and this just demonstrates that if I can play the main mission 67 times without getting bored, well, what if The Phantom Pain releases with 50 main missions? It'll never end for me, this single mission in Ground Zeroes has near-endless replayability, I'm yet to really dig deep into the side missions.
I've given this game 4 stars, and that's because in the end, it leaves you wanting more although satisfied, but this was exactly the studio's intention, too hook you in for The Phantom Pain and for me, they've overachieved in this regard... the wait for The Phantom Pain has become no less painful!

Dracula (Blu-ray + DVD) [1958]
Dracula (Blu-ray + DVD) [1958]
Dvd ~ Christopher Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Drac-film Ever?, 24 Jan. 2014
Two weeks ago this was the only Dracula film I had never had the pleasure of sinking my teeth in to, although I've craved it for quite some time now, afterall, Twilight has left me mighty thirsty! Ok, enough with the blood-sucking metaphors, for a newbie such as myself without the nostalgia goggles, I truly believe that this is the best Dracula film I've ever seen. I've seen Universals original Drac many times, always assuming it could never be surpassed, the atmosphere, music, the set design, the performances, it was just too 'classic'. Or so I thought.
If you're familiar with the story of Dracula, Hammers version will play with your expectations, and to great effect, these unexpected twists and turns brought out the giddy little kid in me, it was fresh, and like I was experiencing the story for the first time again. Peter Cushing is absolutely astonishing as Van Helsing, this is a 10/10 performance in my opinion and Christopher Lee makes for one awesome Dracula, he's like an angry animal but certainly not 'one note', there is depth here. I've never seen it done quite like this.
There are some genuinely creepy moments in this film, even for a hardened horror-nut like me, and here's a compliment- it achieves this without gore, I cannot remember the last time a movie creeped me out this much actually, witch is always a good sign.
That said, there is gore in this movie, some of witch has been recut into this edition after being lost for 50+ years and I must say, for the 1950's the effects are spectacular. This must have been extremely hardcore in 50's, its no wonder it was cut! Regardless, knowing this lost footage is on this Blu-Ray, it just makes this already above-par package even more special.
Picture quality and Sound quality both surpassed my expectations, a few seconds here and there are damaged though, these are the parts witch have been recut back into the film, it really doesn't detract from the experience though and the picture and sound are readable at all times. According to the special features, the lost scenes were damaged in a fire but I'm sure long-time fans will just appreciate that we finally have these scenes. You can watch the special features and find out how bad these scenes looked before they cleaned them up, geesh!
So yes, this has hours of special features that will potentially keep you busy for multiple sittings, overall I always felt like what I was watching was the definitive edition of this film, if your an old-time fan, or a lover of horror or vampire movies I highly recommend this Blu-Ray edition for your collection, Hammer, you've done our country proud! *wipes tear from eye* lol :-)

Sony PS4 Console (Black)
Sony PS4 Console (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 The Players, 22 Jan. 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony PS4 Console (Black) (Console)
This machine has surpassed my expectations and I am taken aback by the speed of the system each time I turn it on(even 2 months after launch), everything is fluent and immediate, for example, in Killzone Shadowfall it takes all of 5 seconds(or less) to go from the PS4 Home Screen to the Killzone main menu, you press the button, and you're there. Multi-tasking is instant, you'll spend little-to-no time at all waiting for trophies to sync like the PS3, the PlayStation Store is now built into the console's operating system itself so its substantially speedier than it was on PS3. You do have to install disc-based games to the HDD but don't worry since it takes literally 10 seconds to fully install a game(in comparison to the 20min+ that you'd be waiting on the XB1), I cannot stress enough when I say that this system is FAST. They definitely delivered on their promise of 'immediacy'. It makes me wonder, is the PS4's slanted design to symbolise speed/going fast? If so, nice touch, Sony.
With the Hardware itself, don't let Microsoft fool you, each individual component in the PS4(I.E RAM, GPU) is a minimum of 40% more powerful than the equivalent part in the Xbox One, with the most extreme example being the RAM, witch is 250% faster than the RAM found in the XB1(this is why the PS4 is so damn fast). Multi-platform games are also far superior on PS4, games like Call Of Duty, Battlefield 4 and Assasins Creed are much better than their Xbox counterparts, and that's because of this extra power available in the PS4. PS4 has more longevity so as a long-term investment, the only way is PS4. I only mention this because I'd love for people to be able to make an informed decision when choosing a next-gen console, there is so much misinformation on the internet that it must be very hard for the casual user. I wouldn't be surprised if this review is deleted because I said this, they like to keep you in the dark, but not on my watch! :-)
The controller is very comfortable to hold, its shaped to fit your hand perfectly, there is no recognisable dead zone on the sticks witch means you'll be beasting in First Person Shooter games since it gives you more accuracy. The D-Pad, as always with PlayStation, is perfection. The triggers are a massive improvement this time around, your finger sits snuggled on there with no slipping. Everything about this controller gives you more precision than ever before. Oh, and the Touch-Pad, its 100% accurate, it has never misread my input once in Killzone, witch did(pleasantly) shock me. My only minor niggle is that you can't turn the light bar off, witch would be fine for most but since I have a plasma TV with a glass front, it shines off of it. I've covered it neatly with black electrical tape though, problem solved.
The graphics are mindblowing, if you want the best representation of the PS4's capabilities this early in its life cycle, I strongly recommend buying Killzone Shadowfall, its gorgeous. Another good-looker is Resogun, just don't let the Youtube video's fool you with this one, YouTube video compression is especially harsh for this game since the whole in-game world is made out of these tiny cubes, Youtube video's wipe all these little details away and the result is a blurry, pixelated mess of an image witch doesn't represent the final product in any way. Resogun is so addictive you'll still be playing it in the year 2020, this is the sort of life span this game potentially has, its deep and rewarding but also a ''pick up and play'' kind of game, and you'll want to keep going back to it over the years, its just that type of game.

PRO'S-
Very, VERY Fast
Precise controls
Amazing Graphics
User Friendly
The best versions of multi-plat games
The 'Share' Button is phenomenal
The most powerful next-gen console

CONS-
Can't turn the 'Light Bar' off

Soft Touch Controller Grip (Playstation Vita)
Soft Touch Controller Grip (Playstation Vita)

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Become One, 19 Oct. 2013
My Vita is now complete and I'd recommend this 'controller converter' to every person on planet earth who owns a Vita. Yes, controller converter, it basically converts your Vita into a controller, making it much more comfortable to hold and longer play sessions become a thing of beauty. It enhances your Vita ten-fold and brings your hand held even closer to a home console experience.

The texture use is nice on the skin, it doesn't slip and the device is held in by an adjustable latch/clamp that sits directly below the centre of the screen, with a non-adjustable clamp directly above the centre of the screen and most importantly, I've been playing with this for weeks now and I've never had a problem with the clamps becoming loose. The handles on either side are shaped to fit your hands perfectly, and one such strenuous game, Blaze Blue Continuim Shift- witch requires a plethora of button combinations to play- has suddenly became my favourite Vita game of all time. Yes, this 'controller converter' can really do that to a game, i highly recommend it.

Beyond: Two Souls Special Edition (PS3)
Beyond: Two Souls Special Edition (PS3)
Offered by rockaway-records

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Beyond impressed., 18 Oct. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I just want to start this review by saying that I consider myself to be a 'hard core' gamer, I play all of the latest games but I also play retro games as well, and that's because I love the challenge provided there. But i also like a deep, thought provoking and meaningful interactive story, witch is something that cinema just cannot provide, and this is why Beyond Two Souls is one of the very best games I've played in my 20+ years of gaming.

Five minutes into the game and you are already hooked and probably oblivious to the fact that you are about to go on the ride of your life. The writing is some of the best in gaming period, and of course this is highlighted by the fact that Oscar nominees' Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe are present in the lead roles, both of witch give stunning performances. This is brought to life by the motion capture technology at use here(I hear that this is the very same tech use for James Cameron's Avatar), this captures even the most subtle facial expressions and body language. You can truly see a characters soul by looking into their eyes(!). Yes, this is probably the best looking game on PS3(it is).

The game play is surprisingly fun, if you've ever wanted to take revenge out on somebody by turning into an invisible spirit and going all ''angry poltergeist'' on unsuspecting persons, this is the game for you. The action set-pieces presented here are among the most intense and exhilarating I have ever played. Nothing short of incredible.

I wouldn't want to spoil anything so I'll just end this by saying that if you like an extraordinary story with relateable characters, a deep meaning, intense action, superior production values and a profound feeling of vivid excitement that will stick with you long after you turn the game off, then this is the game for you. This game delivered far Beyond(!) what i was expecting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2013 4:49 AM BST