Profile for The Right Reverend > Reviews

Content by The Right Reverend

The Right Reverend "?" (Harborne,Birmingham)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
How Do You Plead?
How Do You Plead?

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding album alert !, 15 Jan. 2012
This review is from: How Do You Plead? (Audio CD)
This album has restored my faith in the British music scene after hearing what seems years of over hyped and mediocre offerings.A superb display of writing good tuneful songs and well thought through lyrics means that you don't have to even be a country music fan to appreciate how good this welcome release is.Some of the songs have a 50's/60's feel to them and the stand out tracks for me are the quite brilliant ' I Bought Some Roses ' and ' Going Back to Memphis '.I read about this album in a country music magazine which gave it the 5 star treatment and I have been caught out before in believing what I read only to be disappointed but on this occasion My Darling Clementine deserve every inch of praise and more for what is simply an outstanding album.

Mascara Falls
Mascara Falls
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Miss Liberty, 6 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Mascara Falls (Audio CD)
While I appreciate that this album is over 10 years old, I have recently gone back and re-discovered what a fine and underrated collection of songs this is.Heather Eatman has a very distinctive voice and her songs are well arranged and slightly quirky but in a good kind of way.I don't think that there is a bad track on this album and it has always puzzled me as to why such a fine debut passed alot of people by and unnoticed and why she didn't become better known ? Anyway I can play the track ' Miss Liberty ' over and over and never tire of hearing it.For a meagre sum of money you can now purchase this album but that in no way represents the fact that in terms of wealth of talent this lady has in abundance.

Tales of Inclination
Tales of Inclination
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A very underrated jazz composer and musician., 6 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Tales of Inclination (Audio CD)
I first came across the music of the extremely talented composer and musician Paula Gardiner after hearing a stunning live in concert performance on Radio 3 many years ago.Unfortunately it took me a while to investigate and explore Paula Gardiner's music more thoroughly and in buying this album and wanting to find out more I wasn't disappointed.Together with a band of fine musicians ( John Paricelli on guitar,Mark Edwards on piano and keyboards and Ron Parry on the drums ) Paula and they manage to turn their hand to to all kinds of expressive jazz moods.From the upbeat and melodic opening track of ' Do Not Go Gentle / No Ghosts ' and also ' Sea Of Tranquil Spirit ' to the experimental ' Breathing ' it all works well and just shows that the underrated Paula Gardiner and her music should be better known to all who appreciate this genre.It is certainly worth checking out her other albums including ' Hot Lament ' and ' 6 '.Thanks Paula.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2014 7:48 AM BST

Clapton
Clapton

5.0 out of 5 stars My Very Good Friend The Milkman, 18 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Clapton (Audio CD)
Thanks to my dad, I was brought up on hearing Fats Wallers recordings of ' My Very Good Friend The Milkman ' and ' When Somebody Thinks You're Wonderful ' so I was curious about not only hearing those tracks again but how Clapton would interpret and possibly bring new life to these songs.I have to say I wasn't disappointed and I really love the mix of blues and some neglected standards by really great and sadly missed composers, on this album.I was dubious about this purchase after reading some of the negative reviews but I have to say that I really enjoyed this cd.I have followed Claptons career since the Blues Breakers and I always admire his attribute of not being afraid of trying something new and he nearly always does succeed.No complaints from me and hearing some of those great standards again is a breath of fresh air.A great feel to this album.Thanks Eric.

The Hank Williams Story
The Hank Williams Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost Highway, 16 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Hank Williams Story (Audio CD)
As an introduction to the music of the legendary Hank Williams and at an amazingly good VFM price you cannot go far wrong with this collection.Most of his well known songs are here and the sound quality is excellent.Really recommended for those wanting to hear Hank for the first time.

Judith
Judith

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother, Can You Spare A Dime ?, 16 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Judith (Audio CD)
This is a lovely album and my only regret is not hearing it all sooner.Well chosen songs by a classy lady and a voice as fresh and pitch as clear as a beautiful cloudless sky.The string arrangements are second to none and ' Brother Can You Spare A Dime ' is exceptional.This is a sadly neglected Judy Collins album in my opinion but one of her best that should not be overlooked.

The Best of Classic Rock
The Best of Classic Rock

4.0 out of 5 stars Not James Last., 16 Sept. 2011
I was virtually brought up with the rock/orchestra concepts of such groups as The Moody Blues,The Nice and Deep Purple so this album did appeal to me.Surprisingly,for an old cynic like me,the majority of the songs on here actually work and transfer too full orchestra fantastically well.I'm not a fan of U2 but ' I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For ' sounds amazing performed with a choir.What doesn't particularly work like ' All Right Now ' is soon made up for with ' Eloise ' and ' She's Not There ' and 'You're the Voice '.I must be getting old because I really did quite enjoy this album and my impression that it all might sound a bit James Last were mistaken.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2012 2:13 PM BST

It's Garry Shandling's Show - The Complete First Series [DVD]
It's Garry Shandling's Show - The Complete First Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Garry Shandling

5.0 out of 5 stars Unprecendented audience participation., 15 Sept. 2011
Having seen and enjoyed this series first time around, I was more than a little apprehensive about watching it again and wondering if it had stood the test of time.I need not have been concerned and I have not been disappointed one bit because it seems even better the second time.This comedy series is as far and away from Shandlings, Larry Sanders other creation, as possible and both series should not be compared.Shandlings almost surreal interaction with the audience gives this show its real identity.The timing and performances are wonderful and I can't wait to get hold of the second series on dvd.Very much enjoyed the sequence in one of the episodes of the audience participation and demonstration of players in a big band.Absolutely hilarious.

Dvd ~ Fred Astaire

5.0 out of 5 stars We joined the navy to see the world........, 5 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Follow The Fleet [DVD] (DVD)
One of my favourite and one of the most underrated and enjoyable musicals of all time.Fred and Ginger at their best and with a marvellous Irving Berlin score,it is just a wonderful hour and 50 minutes of pure entertainment.You just cannot beat these classic films.

Road Tested [DVD] [2001]
Road Tested [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Bonnie Raitt
Offered by MEGA Media FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you ready for a thing called love ?, 27 July 2011
This review is from: Road Tested [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I love this lady.She can write good songs,has a good distinctive voice and she can rock and play blues along with the best of them.I sometimes get to the stage where I never know what to expect with music concert dvds but this one is one of the best as regards direction, sound quality and the performers actually looking as though they are really enjoying the gig.My only slight criticism is that the slower numbers do tend to disjoint the concert a little as regards pace but that is purely out of my own preference to hear Bonnie rocking at full pelt.This is well worth the price and no one shoud be disappointed and wow does that slide guitar sound good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12