Profile for The Right Reverend > Reviews

Content by The Right Reverend

The Right Reverend "?" (Harborne,Birmingham)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Hands and Bridges
Hands and Bridges
Offered by Amtrak123

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Breathe, 22 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Hands and Bridges (Audio CD)
After quite a while I decided to play this album again and I should imagine that I am along with many other people who are absolutely astonished that these ladies never got the credit and attention that their music deserved.The majority of their reportoire and beautiful song writing skills is nothing more then total class.How come no one at the BBC gave them an 'in concert ' type programme on say BBC4 ?A quite unbelievable loss to the music industry, who obviously cannot see a good band when it is put in front of their noses! Rather than just trying to pigeon hole them,it is more of a true fact that they just write, sing and play wonderfully good music.

Soon The Birds
Soon The Birds

4.0 out of 5 stars See What Promises Can Bring, 22 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Soon The Birds (Audio CD)
This lady and this album needs more attention.Some excellent,impressive, sadly neglected and underrated alternate country song writing on view here.Perhaps I'm obviously listening to the wrong radio stations or programmes because I only became aware of Oh Susanna due to an amazon recommendation, so thank you for that.I'll be investigating her music further.

Little Things in Life
Little Things in Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Patient Woman, 19 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Little Things in Life (Audio CD)
A very good compilation here of songs by Dan Stuart and Chuck Prophet, better known as the excellent and underrated Green On Road.Songs such as ' Good Patient Woman ' and ' The Little Things in Life ' I wanted as downloads but unfortunately I was unable to find them, so I reverted to this album and got some of their best work and a really good cross section ,thrown in for good measure.Highly recommended for those who like their country and rock music especially dark and edgy.

Happiness
Happiness
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Both Sides Of The Faith, 18 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Happiness (Audio CD)
First came across the distinctive duo and songwriters Michael Weston King and Lou Dalgleish ( backing vocals on here ) after purchasing their excellent country and western My Darling Clementine album ' How Do You Plead ? ' and thought their music warranted further investigation.I back tracked and discovered this very underrated and sublime Good Sons album entitled' Happiness '. Michael Weston King is the main songwriter for The Good Sons and a few stand out tracks for me are ' Both Sides of the Faith ',' Shake This Town ', Tim Hardin 65 ' and ' Heartless Thing ' but really, after giving it time, there is not a bad composition on here,. Together with musicians Phil Abram,Sean McFetridge and Ben Jackson this sadly neglected album certainly needs more appreciation.Makes me wish I could write stuff as good as this.Buy it !

Roots Stew
Roots Stew

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful harmonica playing., 17 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Roots Stew (Audio CD)
I first heard a track by Errol Linton Blues Vibe on the Bob Harris Radio 2 show and being a lover of all things blues, including British blues,it stuck in my mind so much I gave this album a try.With his really tight and first rate band,this is an album of highly original distinctive blues and reggae flavoured songs but what stands out for me is Errol's marvellous blues harmonica playing,think John Mayall and I rate him as being on a par with him.Some nice ( of my particular favourite )wah wah guitar playing and groove on the track '' Gotta Pay '' and '' Man Shot Down '' is awesome. I have since learned that Errol does quite a lot of busking and I ask him if he gets anywhere near Birmingham city centre come and do us all a favour and set up a pitch there,you would go down an absolute storm, given recent music culture.

Savages
Savages

5.0 out of 5 stars Charley and Hattie., 16 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Savages (Audio CD)
Don't know what it is about this album but it pulls me back to listen to Charley and Hattie time and time again and the more I listen the more enjoyable it gets.I am surprised that it hasn't had more exposure because yes the vocal harmonies are of course a delight but the song writing is really undervalued and there are some real gems on here.Well worth buying and it does grow on you.

The Turning Point
The Turning Point

5.0 out of 5 stars Room to Move, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Turning Point (Audio CD)
The first time I heard the track ' Room to Move ' was on some Polydor sampler album way back in the 1970's.I have always enjoyed and appreciated John Mayalls take on electric blues but this album together with his Blues/Jazz Fusion venture,have really opened my eyes to how extensive his reportoire really is.This album is quite superb and the minimalistic nature of it only enhances the quality of the blues compositions.Tremendous playing and absolutely wonderful and classy stuff.

The Seventies Album: 70 Smash Hit Singles from the Supersonic Seventies
The Seventies Album: 70 Smash Hit Singles from the Supersonic Seventies
Offered by OAKES_COLLECTABLES

4.0 out of 5 stars Toast/Car67, 15 Nov. 2013
This is a good mixture and selection of songs from the 1970's and being an advocate of Top of the Pops during that era many of the songs I hadn't heard for donkeys years soon brought back memories.Like another reviewer this was the only place I could get a cd recording of Streetband's Toast and the original version of Car 67, so that was a plus for me.There are also quite a few disco, reggae and ska tunes in this package that I didn't really appreciate at the time but after hearing them again, it was without doubt a rich period for lovers of that genre of music.

Film Noir: The Encyclopedia
Film Noir: The Encyclopedia
by Alain Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable Book for lovers of Film Noir., 14 Nov. 2013
Such a fascinating and valuable asset of a book for anyone who enjoys the dark world of film noir.I am constantly referring to it in my quest to broaden my knowledge of this wonderful genre.Whenever I need information on a dvd or I discover an obscure classic film noir is about to be shown on tv, at some ungodly hour,this book never lets me down.A superb book which I cannot recommend highly enough.

Film Noir Collection [DVD] [1944]
Film Noir Collection [DVD] [1944]
Dvd ~ Kirk Douglas

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Classic Cinema, 14 Nov. 2013
Far and away the best box set collection of classic film noir that you can get.To my mind this genre or any kind of cinema reached an absolute peak in this age of back and whites.When you have watched and been enthralled by the dark world of film noir and the superb acting and directing of these particular films and want more,try some of the 1950's and 1960's excellent French New Wave gangster cinema dvds which were very much influenced by these American productions.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13