Profile for The Right Reverend > Reviews

Content by The Right Reverend

The Right Reverend "?" (Harborne,Birmingham)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Rubies On The Lawn
Rubies On The Lawn
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Vanilla Sun ( Orchestral Track ), 24 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Rubies On The Lawn (Audio CD)
Although I much prefer the version of 'Concession Stand Song ' on her ' Crooked Mile ' album than the one which is featured on my copy ( US release added bonus tracks I presume ? ) the whole of the' Rubies On The Lawn ' recording sounds much more grown up, mature and really is an unexpected pleasure . A few lost gems here including ' Runaway Train ' and ' Me Behind the Wheel '. I don't know if this is available on all the released copies but there is a stunning orchestral reprise version of the track ' Vanilla Sun ' which is quite superb and which I have played time and again.Sorry I'm a bit late catching up with Trish Murphy but it was well worth the trouble in the end.

Ramblin'
Ramblin'

5.0 out of 5 stars A class act., 18 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Ramblin' (Audio CD)
Lucinda Williams does more than justice to some well known blues standards and written by some of the greats of their generation.Infuenced by Memphis Minnie, Lucinda has not only has the voice for it but the interpretation is first class.

Lucinda Williams
Lucinda Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars I Asked For Water ( He Gave Me Gasoline ), 15 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Lucinda Williams (Audio CD)
As Emmylou Harris remarks in the sleeve notes ' Just when you thought there were no more truths to be unearthed in the human heart, along comes Lucinda Williams who plows up a whole new field ' and how very an apt description of not only Lucinda Williams but this album is.Some quite outstanding ' written from the heart ' tuneful and lyrical songs here and the whole band sounds great.Not only country but Lucinda does marvellous justice to her blues covers and in particular Howlin' Wolf's ' I Asked for Water ( He Gave Me Gasoline ) ' and the great addition of the bonus tracks including ' Nothing in Rambling ' ' Disgusted ' and ' Goin Back Home '. I can't recommend this album enough for sheer quality and Lucinda's delivery of the songs.A really pure feel surrounds the whole album, as though it was recorded after someone left the windows open and the fresh air just wafted in.

The Band Wagon (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [1953] [2005]
The Band Wagon (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [1953] [2005]
Dvd ~ Fred Astaire
Offered by halcyonbooksuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Film crew member's sudden appearance on the set during Louisianna Hayride, 13 Feb. 2011
I appreciate that Hollywood musicals shouldn't be taken too seriously and enjoyed in the spirit in which they are intended and I am generally entertained but I found this to be altogether rather too sugary and cheesy even for my tastes.Anyone who writes a part for a character named Tony Hunter should be viewed with any amount of suspicion.I remembered the fine songs but many of them are pushed back towards the back end of the film in one mad hurried section.The dancing is obviously well done and particularly Fred in ' A Shine on Your Shoes '. The highlight for me though was the sudden and strange appearance of one of the film crew on the left at the back of the set during Louisianna Hayride,now that did make me laugh.Apparently this film was voted the 17th best USA musical and taking that into account it is a quite enjoyable and entertaining romp of a musical and there is still no one to touch the talent of Fred Astaire.

Nice
Nice

5.0 out of 5 stars Hanging onto a Dream, 11 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Nice (Audio CD)
I have a really soft spot for this album mainly because it was one of the first I ever bought and played over again and I still think that it is The Nice at their best.I still get a tingle when I hear Keith Emerson piano intro on the first track.There is a very fine jazz/choral arrangement of Tim Hardins ' Hang onto a Dream ' and though ' Diary of an Empty Day ' is lifted from a classical piece ( Edouard Lalo's Symphonic Espagnole ) which of course was not uncommon regarding Emerson.it all fits and works rather well with the lyrics.The live tracks introduced me to the likes of Brubeck and Dylan and the Jimmy Smith style ' For Example '. Unfortunately by the time I had discovered The Nice they had split up and I had to be content with ELP who I saw but never loved.Give me Lee Jacksons gravelly vocals any time.

Head Hands & Feet
Head Hands & Feet

5.0 out of 5 stars ' They say the lines are down in Utah.....'., 9 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Head Hands & Feet (Audio CD)
I used to have this very fine album on vinyl and then I stupidly sold it on.It has taken me years to get it back and on cd and playing it again I can honestly say that it has lost none of its quality and sounds even better than I originally thought it would after many years.This is without a doubt an underrated and lost classic.The stand out ' Delaware ' track should be better known and for its production value alone.Some great songwriting along with Albert Lee's guitar work should have been the catalyst to better things but somehow HH and F got lost along the way.As Tony Coulton remarks in the sleeve notes '...what amazes me now is how many musicians I find in Nashville who have a copy of our first album....'I cannot reccommend this album enough and I count myself lucky enough to have seen them play live at Birmingham Town Hall in the 70's.They rocked the place.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2011 9:39 AM GMT

Hancock's Half Hour: The Very Best Episodes Volume 1: v. 1
Hancock's Half Hour: The Very Best Episodes Volume 1: v. 1
by Alan Simpson
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars He shouldn't have shoulders that size with a small head like he's got, 8 Feb. 2011
I first was introduced to Anthony Aloysius Hancock when my father bought an LP many moons ago which featured the radio episodes of Wild Man of the Woods and Sunday Afternoon.After hearing these several times I was completely hooked.The outstanding Galton and Simpson writing,the superb production of Tom Ronald and Dennis Main Wilson and of course the sheer comic timing,delivery and performances of the regular cast has to my mind, never been surpassed.Although I have many of the BBC Audio cassettes it is still an absolute pleasure to hear these radio gems on compact disc once again.' Mooo ! Ruff Ruff...thats a cow being worried by a sheepdog ' ......' Yes I'm sorry you can't stop for tea only we haven't got enough fish paste to go around '.

Love Is The Law
Love Is The Law

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving Towards The Light with Billy Gamble, 6 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Love Is The Law (Audio CD)
It should never be forgotten or underestimated the valuable and massive contribution Graham Bond made towards the 60's/70's blues/jazz scene.One of my most precious possessions on vinyl is still the 1971 release of the ' Bond in America ' album and of which those album tracks appear on the re-released ' Mighty Graham Bond ' and ' Love is the Law '.Trying to put aside Bonds interests in the occult and his tragic addiction, for me some of his best work and some real lost gems are contained on his totally underrated solo albums.Of course the no frills production sounds pretty raw but that should not in the least diminish some of the quality of his immensley soulful voice, musicianship and songwriting.Anyone who has the remotest interest in 60/70's blues needs to add Graham Bonds solo work to their collection. I can assure you that you won't be disappointed.The excellent and informative sleeve notes are worth the price of the cd alone along with the quite outstanding opening and title track.Please also check out Freaky Beaks on the Mighty cd.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2011 1:32 PM GMT

White Rooms and Imaginary Westerns: Ginsberg, Clapton and Cream an Anarchic Odyssey
by Pete Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars The Week Looked Good On Paper, 25 Jan. 2011
A sizeable chunk of my cd collection is taken up by albums involving Pete Brown and his Battered Ornaments/Piblokto,Jack Bruce,Graham Bond,Viv Stanshall and Dick Heckstall Smith in one guise or another and also my first proper gig was seeing Pete Brown and Piblokto ( Aeroplane Head Woman and all ) in the dark ambience of a club called Henry's Blueshouse in Birmingham in the 70's, so this book was more than of an interest to me.The best parts for me are the descriptions of Pete Browns personal relationships with not only his fellow musicians but with also his mother and father,his family and his upbringing.I must admit that I would much have preferred to read more about how his lyrics and musical collaborations came about rather than anecdotes about his drug and alcohol intake ( some comical others just seriously plain scary ) and his insatiable appetite for women which is probably slightly overdone.I did squirm a little when I read ( Pete Brown referring to Mary Wilson who had invited him and his now wife to a Motown revival show at Wembley )'Mary,who might have fancied me a little, though I can't be sure....'.Although I never did quite see behind the mask and my image of Pete Brown,this book did enlighten me and increase my knowledge of the various beat poets that existed and he acquainted.I did sometimes find it quite hard work to keep up with many of the names mentioned throughout but for all his rants about Thatcher,punk,tv soaps and Stock,Aitken and Waterman ( I can't disagree with him on that last lot )and while overcoming his insecurities and anxiety attacks, Pete Brown has provided us with a rather informative, enjoyable and humorous piece of work here.Any author who can incorporate and mention that wonderfully strange film ' Gonks Go Beat ' in any capacity definitely deserves some kind of recognition.By the way if anyone needs reminding ? Pete Brown is without question one of our finest ever poets/lyricists and together with his love of jazz,his memories and writing, turns all this into very much a captivating and absorbing read.

Two Heads Are Better Than One
Two Heads Are Better Than One

5.0 out of 5 stars A great long Lost Tribe and Ig the Pig., 18 Jan. 2011
Out of all the gigs I attended in the 70's probably the fondest memories I have are that of being privileged in seeing Bond and Brown in concert and as I am currently in the process of reading Pete Browns recent ' White Rooms and Imaginery Westerns ' ( his own personal odyssey and account as a poet, writer and musician )it has rekindled my interest in this long lost, underrated and overlooked album.This was to be the legendary Graham Bonds last recording and whatever dark places he was visiting in his private life, this is more than a fitting tribute and epitaph to one of our finest musicians.It is almost virtually impossible to catergorize this band, some jazz,soul,funk,rock,blues with definately a strong afro type beat.Anyway whatever, it is a potent mix on all levels and I would recommend that anyone with an interest in Graham Bond or Pete Browns music should revisit this album again.Looking forward to the re-release of Graham Bonds ' Love is the Law ' and ' Mighty Graham Bond ' albums later this month and of course Pete Browns Piblokto albums are always more than worth going back to and hearing again.Marvellous stuff and never forget ' Ig the Pig we're gonna get you...'

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13