Profile for RazorGrrl > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
World War Z
World War Z

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Brad Pitt, This is the Real Deal, 28 Mar. 2015
This review is from: World War Z (Kindle Edition)
Really amazing how, with no linear narrative or characters - symathetic or otherwise - as such, the author manages to hold your attention throughout & build a sense of impending disaster, dread & horror which stays with you for days after reading. I found it almost impossible to put this book down, the episodic layout makes it so that you find yourself saying 'I'll just read one more section..." then one more, & one more. It's compulsive. One of the very best in a highly overcrowded market place, this is THE piece of zombie / Apocalypse fiction that all others should be measured against.

Bliss House
Bliss House

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected Treasure, 28 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Bliss House (Kindle Edition)
An unexpected pleasure from an author I was previously unaware of. Believable characters reacting to one another in a natural way, a well written story & lots of suspense. Thus would make a great film, & is a fine addition to the 'haunted house' genre. Thoroughly recommended.

This Little Piggy (A Short Horror Story)
This Little Piggy (A Short Horror Story)

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent Gory Short, 28 Mar. 2015
Nasty fun. Reasonably well written & decently paced, but 10 minutes after reading it I had forgotten almost everything about it. Hey, it's free, so no harm, no foul.

The Plague, Pestilence & Apocalypse MEGAPACK TM: 18 Tales of Doom
The Plague, Pestilence & Apocalypse MEGAPACK TM: 18 Tales of Doom

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, Patchy Collection., 28 Mar. 2015
Pretty enjoyable collection. The inclusion of the long & tedious Mary Shelley story "The Last Man" (actually a full length novel in its own right) & the equally silly Robert Potter story dragged the overall collection down from a 4+ to a 3* review, which us a shame. However, for the price (under 50p) it was a bargain...Worth the cost alone are the first 2 stories, especially J.F. Bone's story "Pandemic". Brilliant ! It was a pity that the collection seemed to feel the need to add 'gravitas' or something by including a lot of unnesscessary older stuff with only a tangential relationship with the genre. Nice to see Jack London's "The Scarlet Plague" get another airing, & of course any horror collection always benefits from a bit of Poe, with "The Masque of the Red Death" fitting perfectly with the overall theme. Overall, a bargain, but not, I'm afraid, cover to cover.

Too Close to Home (The Forensic Files Book 1)
Too Close to Home (The Forensic Files Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Needs an Editor...Dire., 27 Mar. 2015
Badly written, inaccurate & clumsy attempt at Tess Gerritson. This book - which I eventually ended up skipping great chunks of just to get it over with - reads as though it was written in a foreign language, then translated into English by someone for whom English is second or third language. Truly awful syntax, grammer & punctuation, & the depth of vocabulary I would expect from an under-educated nine year old. Really turgid & predictable story peopled by one-dimensional, uninteresting characters & stuffed with errors that a halfway decent editor should have been able to spot & correct... Even though this was a free book, I feel cross that I'll never get the 4 hours I spent reading it back. An awful waste of time.

314 Book 2 (Widowsfield Trilogy)
314 Book 2 (Widowsfield Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Even Better than Part 1, 27 Mar. 2015
See my review of book #1 for my feelings on the overall trilogy. I have to add, though, that I think I enjoyed #2 even more than I did #1. Quite an achievement. Can't wait to read #3 !

Slow Burn: Box Set 1-3
Slow Burn: Box Set 1-3

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Bobby Adair Triumph, 27 Mar. 2015
I love Bobby Adair's Ebola K series, so I thought I'd give his zombie Apocalypse series a try as well. I'm not disappointed at all. Not quite the 5* brilliance of the Ebola books, but a fantastic standout in the crowded genre of post-apocalyptic / living dead / zombie fiction. Why he isn't much more well known is beyond me. A really great story, beautifully written, well paced & well worth the price.

Ebola K: A Terrorism Thriller: Book 2
Ebola K: A Terrorism Thriller: Book 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid Apocalyptic Vision. Can't wait for Bk.3, 27 Mar. 2015
Horribly believable, fantastically detailed & extremely well-written. Absolutely the best plague/ pestilence/ Apocalypse scenario I have read since World War Z. Bobby Adair deserves to be much more widely known than he is. This guy is a real talent.

The Cold Pools
The Cold Pools

5.0 out of 5 stars An Evocative Gem, 27 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Cold Pools (Kindle Edition)
Beautiful & atmospheric short. Really recommend this to anyone, especially as it's free. Deceptively simple little tale which leaves a brooding sadness in its wake. I read it in about 5 minutes, then found myself lying in bed the same night going over it in my head again & again...If his other stuff is anything like as evocative & well written, I'm sure I'll have found myself another author I'm going to be watching out for in the future.

314 (Widowsfield Trilogy)
314 (Widowsfield Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative & Scary - a Pleasantly Surprising Bargain., 27 Mar. 2015
Extremely nasty & thoroughly enjoyable experience, if a little slow in the middle section.
The 1996 passages are horribly greusome & very imaginative, inducing shudders even down my usually horror-hardened back. The characters are well-rounded & sympathetic, the writing style is pacey (in the main, middle bit aside), & the vocubulary, syntax & grasp of language is poetic at times, & imaginative, and yet simple enough not to overwhelm the narrative...Really good overall, &
well worth sticking with. I've just finished Book 2 (not free, but worth every penny) & will be looking for book 3 very soon, which says a lot...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5