Profile for Mr. S. Barnett > Reviews

The Man in the High Castle
The Man in the High Castle
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked already..., 25 Jan. 2015
I was aware of the novel but hadn't read it (I'll fix that now!) So watched interested but with no preconceptions and my only problem will be waiting to see a whole series as this must be made. Fantastic attention to detail and intriguing touches (Liquid nitrogen cooled engines on the Nazi Concorde?!) drew me in. Has to be made if it can maintain this quality!

Counter-Assault (D-Boys Book 2)
Counter-Assault (D-Boys Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outlandishly enjoyable..., 25 Jan. 2015
After finding the first D Boys book a great read I had high expectations but the fact I ended up taking any opportunity to sneak a chapter of this says it all. An absolute barn stormer of a novel, crammed full of fantastic twists, turns and action, great ideas, witty lines and characters you can get invested in (Or hate as appropriate!) More please!

Terminal Earth
Terminal Earth

5.0 out of 5 stars A host of interesting and varied stories of Apocalypse..., 8 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Terminal Earth (Kindle Edition)
Terminal Earth has the honour of being my first Kindle purchase and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I was surprised at how diverse the types of stories were considering the unifying theme. Covered so many genres, styles, scales and tone that you don't have to be into apocalyptic tales in particular to enjoy them.

Stand out stories for me were Tattoo and Pa's Worm Farm, really thought provoking, imaginative and left me wanting more. There were 3 I didn't like but that leaves 20 I did which is a good hit rate in my book.

Highly recommended!

23 Hours: A Vengeful Vampire Tale
23 Hours: A Vengeful Vampire Tale

4.0 out of 5 stars The Laura Caxton series continues..., 29 Dec. 2010
Only a short review just to say if you read the other 3 Laura Caxton Vampire books you should also get this as the quality is maintained. It's a very different story due to the setting and circumstances meaning it is a little less pacey. However the twists and turns are still enjoyable and leave you with a smile on your face as they unfold. Plus the blood and bullets quota is as high as ever which is always good!

99 Coffins
99 Coffins

5.0 out of 5 stars More enjoyable stuff from Mr Wellington..., 21 Mar. 2009
This review is from: 99 Coffins (Paperback)
Probably even better than 13 Bullets due to the stakes (no pun intended!) being raised as 99 vampires are let loose in a bloody rampage. The general atmosphere is brilliantly gloomy with descriptions of vampire attacks, half-deads and the impact of hollow-point bullets fantastically vivid.

A great ending to set up the next book in the series as well.

Anvil of Necessity
Anvil of Necessity
by Stuart Slade

4.0 out of 5 stars The story expands...., 15 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Anvil of Necessity (Paperback)
The world has moved on since "The Big One" and a very interesting and thought provoking world it is too!

I really enjoyed the descriptions of combat in the Far East, you could say it was almost too perfect for the newly badged Officer but it is a novel after all. The political machinations were well thought out and make for an interesting world order with Britain on its knees while it's (former) Empire thrives under the shield of the American nukes and bombers.

It definitely has the feel of being the middle of a wider story but keeps up a brisk pace so doesn't suffer for it in my opinion.

Can't wait to read the final book in this trilogy.

13 Bullets: A Vampire Tale
13 Bullets: A Vampire Tale

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and different...., 17 Dec. 2008
I enjoyed the Monster series from David Wellington for it's twist on the Zombie apocalypse theme and he seems to have gone down the same route for Vampires.

Updated to a modern yet parallel world I really enjoyed the fact that this was "realistic" with it's gritty, crime thriller style. The flashback sequence at the start is fantastically atmospheric and really got me into the story.

The follow up books are on order - no better recommendation than that!

The Big One
The Big One
by Stuart Slade

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, well written, original Alternative History - what's not to like?!, 15 April 2008
This review is from: The Big One (Paperback)
I have to say I can't believe this hasn't got a 4/5 star average review!

Alternative History novels are a niche and need to be encouraged to allow us readers even more enjoyable stories to read. Therefore I really feel some of the other reviews are somewhat harsh or just plain wrong. The typo's do not effect the story while to say it is too easy for the Americans ignores certain aspects of the plot - Sacrificing fighters for years just to lure German development away from high level flight, Fighting at a standstill in Russia. Strange setting for an easy American victory?.

Also the fact this book is published without a publisher should allow some leeway with the typo's, although I have to admit it some of them really could have been caught by anybody who read it. However the story is so enjoyable to read it is no more than a minor irritation.

Genuine 5 star stuff for me, couldn't put it down and I will be buying the other two books in the trilogy immediately!

Autumn: The City
Autumn: The City
by David Moody

4.0 out of 5 stars The story expands., 26 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Autumn: The City (Paperback)
The author has done well to expand the "cast" of characters while keeping the very intimate and, relatively, slow pace feel of the first book.

That said I did enjoy the fact that there were more people to be involved, more close shaves as they move away from their original haven and the clear prospect of much more activity in the 3rd instalment. It's on my bookshelf and after finishing this I can't wait!

Autumn
Autumn
by David Moody

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow burner...., 26 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Autumn (Paperback)
The people saying this book isn't action packed are missing two things. It's only the first book in a series and was obviously written that way plus all action isn't this series style. I like books that are (Matthew Reilly for example) but really enjoyed the slow build up of Autumn. Well I say slow he does kill off 99% of the human race (We assume that is) in the first few pages after all! Also let's not forget this is not a Zombie novel, it's much more of a post-apocalyptic tale which is quite different.

I enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who likes Zombie/Post-apocalyptic scenarios and can be patient to enjoy a story unfold over multiple books.

Page: 1 | 2