Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer

Where Marmots Dare: A Cycling Guide to Swiss Route 3
Where Marmots Dare: A Cycling Guide to Swiss Route 3
by Judith Forsyth

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for cyclists following the National Swiss Route 3, 8 Oct 2011
I found the first red cycle route 3 sign outside Basle railway station thanks to this little book published in pamphlet form. The authors have since written an updated version but this little gem is the real deal. My friend and I cycled the length of the route using the signposts and this little book. No need for maps. Judith and Neil guided us over every bump, round every corner and even gave us short cuts and alternative routes when possible. We planned our journey every evening and really missed the daily story when we finally reached Chiasso...the end of the route. I happened to come across the book on the internet when i was trying to plan our journey from Northern France to Southern Italy but it was then incredibly difficult to buy. I ended up having to get an ex library copy at a vastly inflated price. (More than the original !) I bought it because it was the only copy i could find. It should be re printed and made easily available to all touring cyclists. Highly recommended.

Good Vibrations: Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie
Good Vibrations: Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie

5.0 out of 5 stars If this book doesn't inspire you to get on your bike...nothing will!, 8 Oct 2011
The EuroVelo network covers just about anywhere you would wish to cycle in Europe. Out of the 13 routes, number 5 is the only one that gives a starting and finishing point but only a general direction in the middle. Providing you stick to the EV rules (see EV wiki) cyclists can pretty much do their own thing. That is the joy of this route and what clearly gave Andrew Sykes such a buzz. One can positively taste, smell, hear and touch his journey in his book 'Good Vibrations' (The title refers to the many cobble stones the bike and rider had to endure as well as the good vibes the trip brought about) Well done Andrew. If this book doesn't inspire the reader to jump on their bike and go....nothing will. It did me and although I was overweight, less fit and much older than Andrew, only one of those things applies now !