Profile for Jilliebee > Reviews

Content by Jilliebee

Jilliebee (Surrey)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Lovely Way to Burn (Plague Times Trilogy 1)
A Lovely Way to Burn (Plague Times Trilogy 1)
Price: 4.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Intrigued, scared, but also a little confused, 26 Jun 2014
This could so easily have been a fairly pedestrian thriller - plucky heroine investigates boyfriend's possible murder - which we have all read so many times before. Fortunately, this is wrapped up in a plague scenario which adds a new layer to the story. I have to admit that I don't usually do apocalyptic stories as I find them too terrifying, but the edge is taken off the fear by the distraction of the investigation of Simon's death.
The book is not long and rattles along at a fair pace so is a quick read. I did wonder why on earth Stevie would want to investigate Simon's death, which I thought was fiddling while Rome burnt, but I decided that who knows how anyone would react during a plague.
One query, however, which someone may be able to answer; Simon is said to be in his early forties, and the chemist, Buchanan, was a contemporary of his at school, meaning that he is roughly the same age. Yet Buchanan says his son, William, is 29 years old. Have I misunderstood or missed something?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2014 11:05 AM BST

Before We Met
Before We Met
Price: 1.54

1.0 out of 5 stars Far too much product placement, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Kindle Edition)
I bought this, tempted by the glowing reviews, only to be extremely irritated by it. The amount of produce placement, particularly in the first third of the book, is unbelievable. Why can Hannah not just buy a sandwich? Why does it have to be a Marks and Spencer's sandwich? Nearly every page contained an example of this and after about three pages it jarred. You can guess how I felt after a hundred pages.

Fortunately, the middle section improved and the product placement diminished. But it was in this section that I started to get a strong impression of literary deja vu and realised that it reminded me of Nicci French's Killing Me Softly, which is a much better book. Finally, I reached the rather poor ending, which left huge plot holes and a feeling of dissatisfaction.

My usual rule is that if I finish a book, it must be worthy of at least two stars. I have awarded it only one as an expression of my annoyance at the totally unnecessary amount of product placement.

Basil - Cinnamon - 200 seeds
Basil - Cinnamon - 200 seeds
Offered by Impatiens
Price: 1.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Basil - Cinnamon - 200 seeds
I haven't been able to find cinnamon basil seeds in any garden centre, even the large rhs centre at wisley. I ordered this on line and even with p+p it was still good value. I planted 10 pots with three seeds each and all 30 seedlings are growing well. Next year, I will check to see what other unusual seeds Haddons sell.

Breville VST004 Two-Slice Sandwich Toaster - 850 Watts
Breville VST004 Two-Slice Sandwich Toaster - 850 Watts
Price: 26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bread to filling ratio, 14 April 2014
Years ago, my friend had a sandwich toaster that you could stuff with a huge amount of filling. In theory that's great, but the amount of cheese it would take was coronary inducing. This breville machine takes a much smaller amount of filling so is much healthier. We don't put the removeable plates in the dishwasher so it is still non stick and doesn't require any greasing. It is straightforward to use and even my vague teenager manages to turn out a decent snack.

Ancol - Self Heating Pet Pad Cat/Dog Bed - Medium
Ancol - Self Heating Pet Pad Cat/Dog Bed - Medium
Offered by supermarket-x
Price: 6.14

3.0 out of 5 stars He hates it, 14 April 2014
I bought this for my elderly cat as he is hogging the radiator and is obviously feeling the cold more. Looking at the other reviews I realised there was a chance he wouldn't like it, but it was cheap enough to try. He hates it! I presume it's the noise it makes. I have tried it on the floor and in his basket, all to no avail. I will keep it and try it again next year.

Cat out of Hell
Cat out of Hell
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad cat!, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Cat out of Hell (Kindle Edition)
Even devoted cat fans will admit that there are times when their beloved ball of fur gives them An Evil Look. This is a look so malevolent that even Satan would be impressed. I wonder if Lynne Truss, being the recipient of An Evil Look, began to ponder ...

Witty and amusing, with briefly sketched but well-delineated characters (I particularly liked Wiggy), Cat Out Of Hell somehow managed to frighten me more than any ghost story I have read recently. There is that terrible feeling of being helpless whilst your doom approaches and as Alec's doom is a large fluffy cat no-one is likely to believe him. This, of course, just makes his situation worse. Lynne Truss manages to twist cats' habits and natures into something far more diabolical, but at the same time quite credible. I laughed out loud at the idea that cats knead our legs not as a sign of affection, but as a historical throwback to their technique of killing people by severing their femoral arteries. Then I began to panic as my cat not only kneads me but also chews my collar at the same time ... is he going for my jugular?

This is quite a hard review to write, as I am trying to avoid spoilers and as it is a short booked packed with incidents it makes it difficult not to give too much away. So perhaps I should just stick to this; read this book if you like cats as you will appreciate Truss' manipulation of their foibles; read this book if you don't like cats as it will prove you right; and if you are indifferent to cats - how can you be indifferent to cats?

Gillespie and I
Gillespie and I
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, thought-provoking book, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Gillespie and I (Kindle Edition)
Although beautifully written, Gillespie and I does take a bit of time to get into. Fortunately, enough hints are given that something goes terribly wrong with the Gillespie family and so the reader perseveres. What eventually unfolds is a gripping nightmare of a story that is only too plausible - how I almost wish it wasn't! The only part of the story I wasn't keen on was the subplot of Harriet and her maid in London as I felt it didn't really add anything. I noticed that when the story was adapted for Radio four (brilliantly read by Phyllis Logan) this part was omitted. I don't wish to give too much away, but the ending does leave you wondering just how reliable a witness Harriet has been throughout the book. It certainly left me pondering - surely the sign of a good book.

The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1
The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for all the family, 10 Mar 2014
I happily passed this book around the family (ranging from nearly 90 down to 16). We all loved it and laughed out loud at some of Don's antics. It's rare to find a book that we all like.

Apple Tree Yard
Apple Tree Yard
Price: 3.32

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read let down by a dislikeable protagonist, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Apple Tree Yard (Kindle Edition)
I wish I could love this book. It is well written, with a good plot and an excellent section set in the court room. In theory, that should be enough for at least four stars from me. But I could only bring myself to give it three stars and I think it must be because I really disliked the protagonist. I wondered if she had to be so annoying to give the denouement in the court room more impact, but I think that it would still have been effective if she had been more sympathetic. But don't let her put you off reading this book! It still has a lot of merit and I have recommended it to various friends. Just one warning; I usually pass on books to my elderly parents that I think they will like. This one would have ticked the box except that it had far too much sex in it for them. They prefer their books with no sex or swearing!

Oddsocks Emily Pack of 10, Socks, Baby girl, 0-12 months
Oddsocks Emily Pack of 10, Socks, Baby girl, 0-12 months
Offered by Crocs Heaven
Price: 12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Twenty years too late, 7 Feb 2014
Why, oh why, were odd socks not 'invented' when my children were young? They were forever losing a sock, which ruined the pair. No such problem with this set though. I have bought odd socks for family, friends, children's friends and they have always been much appreciated. The only one not to like them was my beloved Father, but I suppose at nearly ninety he is a little too old to change his sock-wearing habits!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3