Profile for Jamie Travis > Reviews

Content by Jamie Travis

Jamie Travis "Ashley" (accrington)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
A Girl Called Jack: 100 delicious budget recipes
A Girl Called Jack: 100 delicious budget recipes
by Jack Monroe
Price: 5.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book., 11 Jun 2014
I've cooked so many things from this book and I love it. It's the first thing I crab when I don't have much money.

Till Death Do Us Party [Explicit]
Till Death Do Us Party [Explicit]
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 5 Jun 2014
I cannot put into words how proud I am of Adore for releasing this album. It's truly amazing. Every song is magic and I haven't stopped listening to the album since I bought it (especially I Adore You and My Address Is Hollywood). If you need any convincing to buy this album then youtube 'I Adore You'.

Adore has a voice that sends shivers down my spine.

The Guilt of The Wealthy (The Billionaire Bachelor Series Book 1)
The Guilt of The Wealthy (The Billionaire Bachelor Series Book 1)
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised, 2 Jun 2014
I was surprised by this free book. It had a really good story that kept me turning the page. It's very short, so I finished it in a few hours, but I went onto buy the complete box set and it's kind of like Act 1 of 3, instead of a stand alone book.

The characters are well conceived and the plot is interesting, but the editing lets it down. There are a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes, but I can overlook them (although it would only take a good final drafting to sort those out).

I might pick up more from this author.

Flowers in the Attic [DVD] [2014] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Flowers in the Attic [DVD] [2014] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Dylan Bruce
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 5.80

1.0 out of 5 stars A Lifeless and Bland Adaptation, 23 May 2014
This movie sticks quite closely to the plot of the book, but it lacks any of the heart or actual drama that the book has. Everything that makes the book amazing is left out of the film. The grandmother doesn't seem so evil, the mother seems a bit crazier than she really is, and the children are just drab and a bit bland.

It's a shame really, because the book is amazing.

The Apocalypse Element (Doctor Who)
The Apocalypse Element (Doctor Who)
by Stephen Cole
Price: 12.23

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Act Of The Time War, 23 Oct 2013
Russell T Davies once referred to this story as the first act of the time war and I can see why. Insane Daleks attempt to destroy Gallifrey and the rest of the universe using the apocolypse element (slightly similar to the reality bomb in Journey's End from Series 4).

This story is grand and epic. It signals the return of Romana to the Doctor Who universe (and it's as if Lala Ward was never away).

You will really have to listen closely to this audio because there is so much going on. It has such a cinematic scope, which sometimes confuses things when the story is moving at such a fast pace.

I really enjoyed this one, and I think it's one of the best ones I've listened to so far.

However, I do have two negative comments. The ending felt rushed and too abrupt and Evelyn is a lot more irritating in this story than previous ones.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2014 11:39 AM BST

The Genocide Machine (Doctor Who)
The Genocide Machine (Doctor Who)
by Mike Tucker
Price: 11.43

5.0 out of 5 stars The Daleks First Outing!, 21 Oct 2013
This is the first time Big Finish got to use the Daleks and they did a really good job. Once again, 7/Ace are on TOP form, delievering brilliant performances and re-delivering the same energy they had on screen all that time ago.

This story features similar themes to the River Song two-parter in Series 4 of NuWho, so if you enjoyed that, you'll probably enjoy this one.

Overall, I really enjoyed this, and I can't wait to hear more from the Daleks because they translate so well through an audio.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2014 11:40 AM BST

Whispers of Terror (Dr Who Big Finish)
Whispers of Terror (Dr Who Big Finish)
by Justin Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 21 Oct 2013
It's the 6th Doctor's first solo Big Finish outing and it shows. This story is average, if not a little hard to follow (far too many characters with similar voices and confusing names).

Big Finish fell into old habits with the 6th Doctor and Peri, once again bringing their awkward relationship back from the dead. I've since listened to The Marian Conspiracy (Doctor Who) and much preferred the 6th Doctor portrayed there than the one here.

It's okay, but you can tell Big Finish were still trying to find their feet with this one. Worth a one time listen, but if you don't mind skipping a few (which I find impossible to do), I'd have skipped this one.

The Marian Conspiracy (Doctor Who)
The Marian Conspiracy (Doctor Who)
by Jacqueline Rayner

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Couple, 21 Oct 2013
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this one because I wasn't sure what it'd be like to have a brand new companion who we'd never seen on TV, but it totally works. Evelyn and the 6th Doctor are a perfect match for each other and I can't help but think if they were seen on the TV series in the 80s, the 6th Doctors fortunes would have changed slightly.

You can hear that Big Finish are really trying to change the 6th Doctor and I must say it's working. I loved the historical back-drop of the episode as well with 'Bloody Mary' as one of the main characters. It made me do a bit of research into her rein and her feud with her half-sister Elisabeth.

I really enjoyed this audio and would really recommend it.

The Fearmonger (Doctor Who)
The Fearmonger (Doctor Who)
by Jonathan Blum
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Early Audio!, 21 Oct 2013
I really enjoyed this one. I've been listening to all of the Big Finish audios in audio and this was the first one that really grabbed my attention and held it the entire way through. The story is based around a political party (similar to the EDL or BNP) who are trying to gain power in the UK, but there is a strange creature known as 'The Fearmonger' lurking in the shadows.

For me, the highlight of this story was hearing 7/Ace again. It sounds like no time had passed from 1989 to 2000, and they sound as if they'd never left the TARDIS. Sophie Aldred is one of the few companions who sounds exactly like she did in the original series.

I would give this one another listen!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2014 11:38 AM BST

The Sirens of Time (Doctor Who)
The Sirens of Time (Doctor Who)
by Nicholas Briggs
Price: 12.56

4.0 out of 5 stars A Strong Start, 20 Oct 2013
In my mission to listen to all of the Doctor Who audios, I started my journey with The Sirens Of Time.

It was nice to hear Peter, Colin and Sylvestor back as the Doctor, but the story was a little hard to follow. Each Doctor gets their own episode before joining together in the fourth.

It's a good start, but I think there are better ones to comes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2014 11:42 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5