Profile for Bear Rug > Reviews

Content by Bear Rug

Bear Rug (Essex)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Yoga Sutras of Patanjali: (Old Edition)
Yoga Sutras of Patanjali: (Old Edition)
by Sri Swami Satchidananda

4.0 out of 5 stars ongoing, 1 Jan 2011
This was recommended by my yoga course providers and I continually refer to it. Patanjali is obviously quite deep and I need to persevere with it. This book helps me to do that. It is set out clearly and the commentary is delivered very well.
Recommended for those interested in Patanjali.

Neuro-linguistic Programming (NLP) Workbook for Dummies
Neuro-linguistic Programming (NLP) Workbook for Dummies
by Romilla Ready

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 1 Jan 2011
I bought this book after a very inspiring NLP course and I was obviously in a bit of a rush as I didn't realise quite how much of it would be workbook-based. My fault for not reading clearly I suppose!
However, to clear this up, this book requires you to be proactive - completing exercises and reflecting on your needs, goals etc. You can photocopy the book so that you don't have to write straight into it.
Unfortunately it is not for me at this time. I bought the NLP book for dummies - probably what I should have got originally. However, this too is something I will need to revisist. Don't think these 'Dummy' books are great for me personally.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2011 11:58 AM BST

Asana, Pranayama, Mudra and Bandha
Asana, Pranayama, Mudra and Bandha
by Swami Satyananda Saraswati

5.0 out of 5 stars well-used by me, 1 Jan 2011
This book has been well-used by me during my yoga teaching course. I can see myself using it just as much when the course has finished.
It's really clear, traditional and accompanied by line-drawings. It has sections on (of course) asana, pranayama, mudra and bandha - in that order.
For the yoga student or teacher this is a must-have.

Disney Princess Double Sided Chalkboard Easel
Disney Princess Double Sided Chalkboard Easel

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a black/white board!, 1 Jan 2011
This has a black board on one side and a white board on the other. Some nice little storage ideas at the bottom - four cups for chalk/pens etc and a sponge plus ridges to hold pens.
This is a fair toy - my child doesn't play with it very much now but it was a present and she may go back to it. The only very small problem is the top piece that goes over the board is a little wobbly.

Simon Schama's Power of Art
Simon Schama's Power of Art
by Simon Schama

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 1 Jan 2011
This is a fascinating book that shatters the notion of all art being pretty or decorative and would be something of a shock to those who buy art to compliment their decor! It reveals the power of art and the rich lives of the artists who produced it. It's in the title folks, this book is about the POWER of art and is a beautiful version of the television series.
It's a big heavy tome and will last many a cold, wintry night. This book brings art to life.

Mudras: Yogas in Your Hands
Mudras: Yogas in Your Hands
by Gertrud Hirschi

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and easy to follow, 1 Jan 2011
This is a comprehensive book of mudras or hand gestures. I didn't realise there were so many!
I was a little surprised that there weren't more of what I call yoga mudras - such as adhi or Brahma (as I know it). However, there are plenty of others!
For those who find sustaining mudras uncomfortable the author recommends persevering in order to build up the muscles of the hand.
This is a fascinating subject for those who have felt the 'magic' of mudras.

The Upanishads (Classic of Indian Spirituality)
The Upanishads (Classic of Indian Spirituality)
by Eknath Easwaran

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 Jan 2011
This is a great example of a modern translation and commentary of the Upanishads. I would certainly recommend this edition as it provides clear commentary after each section. There is a glossary and notes at the back. For anyone interested in the Upanishads, this book will help you to persevere with your journey!
Very interesting.

How to Know God: Yoga Aphorisms of Patanjali
How to Know God: Yoga Aphorisms of Patanjali
by Patanjali

5.0 out of 5 stars Gem!, 1 Jan 2011
This is a little gem of a book. It provides inspiration and guidance on Patanjali's ideas. The author obviously has a deep understanding of the subject and delivers it with integrity.

Yoga for Arthritis: The Complete Guide
Yoga for Arthritis: The Complete Guide
by Loren Fishman

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 1 Jan 2011
This is a good book that gives yoga teachers - as well as others useful information on postures suitable for those with arthritis.
To really gain insight as to whether this book really helps I suppose it would be necassary to ask arthritis sufferers. I haven't had that chance yet. However, I know that I will go back to this book a lot when planning lessons so I am certainly glad I bought it.
A useful resource for teachers.

Light on Pranayama: The Yogic Art of Breathing
Light on Pranayama: The Yogic Art of Breathing
by B.K.S. Iyengar

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 1 Jan 2011
I am a fan of Iyengar - in 'Light on Yoga' he has helped me understand more about getting into different asana and alignment etc.
This book is invaluable for those studying pranayama as it answers a lot of questions and gives a traditional slant whilst not being unattainable.
Iyengar gives his characteristic insight in this book as well as in 'Light on Yoga'.
Recommended.