Profile for Mr. D. J. Connop > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. J. Connop

Mr. D. J. Connop (Bristol UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Humans
The Humans
by Matt Haig

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 7 July 2014
This review is from: The Humans (Paperback)
I wanted to like this book but I found it contrived, boring and predictable. For me it was an overlong social essay (disguised as a work of fiction) about the nature of being human. It basically states the obvious again and again and again.

Naïve. Super
Naïve. Super
by Tor Ketil Solberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Naïve. Super (Paperback)
Having read this book many times I have today ordered my very own Brio Hammer & Peg. Its time to make life fit together :)

This book is so good. Everyone should read it at least once

Dr Martens 1919 Blue Mens Boots Size 9 UK
Dr Martens 1919 Blue Mens Boots Size 9 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Quality, 5 April 2014
One of the best pairs of DM's I have ever had. Strong and sturdy with the steel toe cap, and mega cool due to the two tone colour. Great purchase

The Shock of the Fall
The Shock of the Fall
by Nathan Filer

3.0 out of 5 stars The Kings New Clothes, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Paperback)
I am a real fan of this kind of genre writing, ie the world as its seen by a troubled youth, however I do not think that The Shock Of The Fall is a good example of this kind of story. I refer to works such as The Catcher In The Rye, Niave Super and The Perks Of Being A Wallflower as examples of books that get it so so right. As I am someone who has suffered from mental illness myself and I found nothing in the the book that had any real relevance or insight into my own experiances but then again I accept that my situation was very different to the situation faced by Matt who is the main character in the book.

I wasn't sure what I was supposed to feel about Matt and ultimately I felt very little. I think it starts with a lot of promise and then fades into a bit of self indulgence on the part of the author. The font changes and random sketches were annoying, gimmicky and were a distraction to the story instead of bringing anything to the story. I hated that sort of approach in another well reviewed book The Book Thief

I think its the sort of book that people are going to want to say that they liked it, and book clubs around the world will wax lyrical over how good it is, but if someone in the room is brave enough to say that they didn't think it was actually that great then secretly they will not be the only person with that opinion in the room.

Humbug
Humbug
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 28 Aug 2009
This review is from: Humbug (Audio CD)
Dark, brooding and truely truely brilliant. It got me on the first listen and just gets better and better on each play. I have had my ipod surgically attached so I don't miss a moment to listen to this masterpiece. Yes very different from the previous albums but the swagger and cockiness is still there in buckets. I can't believe the negative reviews from people who clearly loved the first two albums but don't get this one. Each to there own but I am so glad that I am one of the people who do get it, its just pure pure class.

No Line On The Horizon
No Line On The Horizon
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars The Boys Are Back In Town, 4 Mar 2009
This review is from: No Line On The Horizon (Audio CD)
In my younger days the release of a new U2 album would be the event of the year eventfor me. Introduced to the band at the very start of their career the songs on Boy, October & War defined the band to me and eventhough I was a more than willing traveller through the Eno layed Unforgetable Fire the stadium rock of the JT and Rattle & Hum and the re-invention of U2 through (the amazing) Actung Baby and Zooropa, I wanted U2 to give me something that took me back the band I once knew. Some songs on the last few albums offered hope, Kite, Vertigo to name a few but for me this was about U2 making a U2 album instead of U2 just making an album. I am happy to say I feel as if my wait is now over :)

I think this is a truely great U2 album. All the best elements of U2 are crammed in here and I don't know what the people who have given this album negative reviews were hoping for ? The album bulids tantalising bridges to days gone but manages to take you places that feel fresh new and exciting. An example would be be for me the standout track on the album "Unknown Caller" Kicks off with a base line reminicant of Scarlet on October, hits you with some classic JT guitar, offers a One (ish) style verse and leaves you with a "40" call to arms chours. It does all this but it still sounds new.

I am excited about being a U2 fan again, the Boys Are Back In Town and its great to see them back.

The Monivong Hit
The Monivong Hit
by Nicholas Frankcom

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 28 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Monivong Hit (Paperback)
This has to be one of the greatest adventure stories ever written. I finished the book in a couple of sittings as I was so lost in the world that Nick Frankcom has created. I have heard on the grapvine that he is working on a new novel and I wait for that with baited breath.

Buy this book and lose yourself in Nick's world.

Scouting For Girls
Scouting For Girls
Offered by MediaMerchants

1.0 out of 5 stars God Help Us, 23 Jan 2009
This review is from: Scouting For Girls (Audio CD)
SFG have to be the most talentless and annoying band around at the moment. They are truely truely awful. There is so much good music out there and yet this band manages to get so much air & TV time you can't avoid them. This means that even if you don't waste any money on their pointless tunes they can still infect your day. Scounting For Girls I mean come on what kind of name is that for a bunch of adult blokes for a start. My nephew could come up with better lyrics and he hasn't been born yet. Lets give them the first album and say well done for making a bit of money but please please enough is enough no more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2010 1:09 PM BST

Carry Me Down
Carry Me Down
by M. J. Hyland

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 7 Oct 2007
This review is from: Carry Me Down (Paperback)
I think this is great book and a powerful read. Shades of Catcher In The Rye and Naive Super (both great books) with its narrative style, which is a style that personally really works for me. I was very moved by the plight and the life of the main character, he was a beautiful, lonely and dangerously confused indivdual. Its a personal choice of course but I dont understand the negative comments on this book, I am not sure what these people wanted from it. It isn't a fast paced thriller with plot twists or a complete story with a begining a middle and a tidy conclusion, its a view into a life and like most lives on the surface not much seems to be going on but those who can get beneath the surface of the words in this book and tap into its real essence and message are in for a really moving experiance.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype, 22 Aug 2007
This review is from: The Book Thief (Hardcover)
I can't belive the reviews for this book. If you read it be honest about it. Don't get drawn into the hype. Its an ok story that has been spun into something that it is not, it is not a great emotional tour de force piece of work about life during a War, such as say Birdsong or the Kite Runner. What this book has is an unusual angle in the telling of the tale (narrated by death) and yes it promises to be an interesting concept and it draws you in to buy it. Once purchased you want to get it, you want to feel something, but all I got from this narrative style was a sense of an author trying to be different, clever and relevant, it doesn't allow the story to come alive. All the bold type snippets, whats the point of all that, it adds nothing to this story and is just annoying and full of itself, you do not need to put a spin on the experiances of people during the second world war to give it relevance.

V disappointed