Profile for RL > Reviews

LG Clip-on 3D Glasses
LG Clip-on 3D Glasses
Offered by cherrypickelectronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but does not come with a pouch, 5 Jan. 2013
This review is from: LG Clip-on 3D Glasses (Accessory)
I bought this to use at the cinema and it was a much more comfortable experience than wearing the normal 3D cinema glasses over my prescription glasses.

These 3D lenses were bigger than my glasses so I had to clip them high up on my glasses, any lower and the 3D lenses rested on my nose rather than the nose pads (which was tickly and uncomfortable).

When I first tested the glasses in daylight (not viewing any 3D content) the clips were quite visible and obstructive, but when I wore them in a darkened cinema I couldn't see them and they didn't affect my viewing pleasure.

I've taken 1 star off because the product description says that it comes with a pouch. I did not get a pouch with mine - unless it meant the cardboard box or the plastic bag (?)

Terrapin Slim Armour Cover for iPhone 5S - Black
Terrapin Slim Armour Cover for iPhone 5S - Black
Offered by ClickJunkie

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't cover aluminium band on top or bottom, 11 Oct. 2012
I recently discovered that my iPhone 5 had a scratch on the aluminium band at the top on the front. I've been very careful, and don't know how the scratch got there, so assume that the iPhone 5 scratches easily (other websites and forums have also found this to be the case).

So I bought this case, thinking that it would cover the aluminium band around the iPhone, but it doesn't cover the band at the top (where I got my scratch) or the bottom.

Looking more closely at the photos now, I can see that it doesn't cover the entire band, but it's not so obvious as you're looking at a black phone against a black case.

If I'd known I wouldn't have bought this case. I can't recommend it to other people either since the aluminium band scratches so easily, and it's not entirely protected with this case.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2012 8:29 PM BST

Terrapin Premium PU Leather Pocket Case for iPhone 5S - Black
Terrapin Premium PU Leather Pocket Case for iPhone 5S - Black
Offered by ClickJunkie

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good for the price, 23 Sept. 2012
I bought this case because the one that I wanted to get (Sena Ultraslim pouch) would not be available until a month after the iPhone 5 came out, so I needed an interim case. Also, the price for this was really good (£3.99).

I've been using the case for a couple of days now, and my impressions are good. The case is well made; upon close inspection you can tell it's not "proper" leather, but it looks fine.

To be honest, there's not much wrong with the case, here are a few things I noticed:

Sometimes when you try and put the phone in, it seems to go in about 70% of the way and then catch on the ribbon that is used to pull the phone out of the case, but you can just pull the ribbon a bit to release it and then push it all the way in.

Also, if you want to use your headphones with the case, then you'll need to put your phone into the case upside down. This is because there are no holes in the bottom of the case and the iPhone 5's headphone socket is at the bottom of the phone now.

When I take the phone out of the case to use it, I rest the phone on the case and hold them both in my hand. However, if I put the phone on the front of the case then the ribbon and the magnetic catch sometimes flop over and dangle in front of the screen; resting the phone on the back of the case solves this problem.

I give this 5 stars because it really is amazing value. I'm still planning to get my replacement case once it becomes available, but I am happy to use this one in the meantime.

iTALKonline ProGel CLEAR TRANSPARENT Back Cover Glossy Tough TPU Case / Skin for Apple iPad 2 (2011) 2nd generation iPad 3 "The New iPad Retina Display" 3rd Generation 4th Generation 2012 (Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G + 4G) 16GB 32GB 64GB works with GENUINE Apple iPad Smart Cover
Offered by iTALKonline-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with iPad 3 and Apple Smart Cover, 16 Mar. 2012
I took a small risk ordering this for my pre-ordered iPad 3 (before anyone else had confirmed it would fit OK), but I can confirm that it works great with the iPad 3.

I had two concerns... one is that the iPad 3 is very slightly thicker than the iPad 2 (0.6 mm thicker), and by all accounts, this case is a tight fit on an iPad 2. But I didn't have any problems fitting the case on the iPad 3. I just fitted the iPad 3 into one corner of the case and then slowly levered in the edges and other corners with my fingers.

The other concern was that the iPad 3 camera is apparently larger than that of the iPad 2, but not to worry, the camera hole in this case is plenty big enough, the camera hole is about 3 mm radius bigger than the iPad's camera - so there is no blocking of photos or videos.

I bought an official Apple Smart Cover as well, and it works great together with this case.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2012 7:14 PM GMT

Thrustmaster V.I.P Case for PS Vita (PlayStation Vita)
Thrustmaster V.I.P Case for PS Vita (PlayStation Vita)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as smart looking as in the pictures, but still good overall, 3 Mar. 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this case as it gave the impression that it was a premium smart-looking case, and also I hoped it wouldn't be much bulkier than the Vita itself.

My first impressions were that the packaging looked a bit tacky. The top of the case (as seen in the pictures) looks quite good; it's matte black and is quite slim, but the bottom of the case is a cheap-looking glossy black, and also quite thick.

Overall the case looks big, it's about twice as tall as the Vita, and slightly wider. I think a smaller case would look better, but then perhaps you'd be sacrificing some protection.

Once the Vita is in the case, you can access the front face, but you can't access any of the controls or ports on the top/bottom/rear - so you'll need to take the Vita out for most games. When the case is open, the top only opens to just short of 90 degrees (like a glasses case) - so you can't use the case as a stand for watching movies. When in the case, the Vita fits so snugly that you have to use the provided ribbon to pull the Vita out.

There's a lot of empty space in the top half of the case, so there's no concern that the analogue sticks are getting squashed. The case is felt-lined, but doesn't have any cushioning, so if you were to drop the case with the Vita inside it might still get quite an impact whilst inside the case. I don't think you have to worry about the Vita falling out of the case if you drop the case, because although there is no catch or lock, the case closing mechanism is a strong spring.

The case itself is basic, there's no extra pouches or pockets for leads or game cards - or holes to charge the Vita whilst in the case. The case does seem tough, you'd have to use a lot of force to damage the Vita through the case. I just noticed that the bottom of the case has a scratch already (after a couple of hours) - so probably the glossy surface will collect a lot of scratches within time - but it doesn't really bother me.

Overall, I think it still is the best Vita case (for me) - but it would be better if it had a matte bottom, pockets in the top half for game cards, more cushioning on the inside, and maybe was slimmer.

NIGHTGUARD DIRECT LTD - Professional CUSTOM MADE 2MM NIGHT GUARD - 3 Easy Step Ordering Process. No dentist required.

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes my teeth sore after wearing overnight - but very good customer service, 17 Nov. 2011
I bought one of these to replace one that I had made at a dentists that I had been using for several years.

I received the kit in the post, made the impressions and sent it back, and then received my custom night guard a short while later.

Unfortunately, each morning after I wake up, some of my teeth are quite sore. I think that the night guard is not making a perfect fit, and must be placing extra pressure on certain teeth. I've tried it for a few days, hoping that I just need to get used to it, but it's not getting any better. Also, I don't remember having this problem when I got my original night guard.

It seems like this will be wasted money because I don't think I can continue to use this night guard.

Edit: I contacted Nightguard direct after writing this review, and they were very helpful and offered to make me another night guard.

I received the new night guard yesterday, and it's better - slimmer and more comfortable. The new guard is a 2mm upper guard, whereas the previous one they sent was a 3mm lower guard.

After wearing the new guard overnight, one of my upper front teeth was sore. So, I'm changing my rating from 1 star to 3 stars, due to their very good customer service - but I can't award more than that as I'm not sure I'll be able to use the new night guard long term.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2013 1:17 PM GMT

Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (Nintendo 3DS)
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (Nintendo 3DS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent version of SSFIV, 26 Mar. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'm a huge fan of Super Street Fighter IV and already own it on the Xbox 360 and the iPhone. So, originally I was unsure whether I needed another version but after watching preview videos, I was impressed with the graphical detail and smoothness of the game and decided to go for it.

And I've been glad with my purchase so far decision!

The main selling point of course is the 3D visuals, it adds nothing at all to the gameplay, but it just looks really cool to see my favourite characters and backgrounds in 3D.

However, if I'm in a frantic online battle then I will usually turn the 3D off (with a quick flick down of the 3d slider) as the 3d visuals will probably get distorted as I mash the buttons and shake the console.

There is a new "over-the-shoulder" viewpoint which you can play the game in, but I tried it for a couple of minutes and then decided not to use it again. I suppose that the viewpoint helps exaggerates the 3D even more, but it makes the game hard to play as your view is more limited.

The 3DS version has all the characters and levels, as well as the trials. You also earn icons and tags which you can set against your character, which are then visible to other players when you go for online fighting (this will be familiar to people who already have the Xbox or PS3 version).

It has an online mode which works well. I spent 3 hours playing online, and had to stop when the battery light started flashing red. If you want to fight online then the game will match you against another unknown player (or a friend, if you prefer). It doesn't have any online tournament modes, which is a slight pity, but not a big deal.

The other major factor is the controls. On the Xbox 360, I play with an arcade stick, so the controls are really fluid. On the 3DS, it's a bit awkward. You can use either the analogue control or the D-pad for directional controls, but I found the D-pad too awkwardly placed (too close to the bottom-left, so it starts hurting your hand quickly). I use the analogue pad to play, it is a bit imprecise, i.e. at times, when you want to jump forwards or do a ducking block quickly, you will press the wrong direction.

In fact, if I had to rely on the traditional way to do the special moves, let alone the super or ultra moves, then I think the game would be quite unplayable.

Luckily, the game is by default set to "lite" control mode. This means that the bottom touch screen is split into 4 virtual buttons, by default, 2 of the buttons will automatically do special moves, one will trigger that character's super move and the other his ultra move.

Some purists probably won't like this, and may think it's not really in the original spirit of the game. Myself, I have no problem with it, and think that as everyone can use these controls then it is fair.

It is possible to set the game to "pro" control mode, where the virtual buttons can only be mapped to normal buttons, e.g. a punch, kick, or combination of punch or kick buttons. And also you can specify when you play online that you only want to play other "pro" users. But I suspect that the majority of online games will be in "lite" mode as this is the default setting.

One major point about the "lite" mode is that it allows moves that were impossible before, e.g. several characters perform their special moves by having to charge up the attack first, e.g. Guile's sonic boom - hold back for 2 seconds, then forwards and punch, but when these moves are mapped to the virtual buttons they can be performed straightaway without any charging time, e.g. this allows Guile to throw a sonic boom whilst walking forwards (previously impossible), likewise you could do a standing punch comboed into Guile's flash kick.

In my opinion, this makes charge-based characters a lot more powerful, and there doesn't appear to be any balance compensation, i.e. to weaken charge-based characters otherwise, or make other characters more powerful. I don't mind this because I mostly play charge-based characters, but it's something to bear in mind if you are a Ryu/Ken etc fan.

So my final verdict is 4 stars. I find the game a lot of fun. It has all the most important features of it's bigger brother console versions, but I have to deduct a star for the controls, the developers have done well by adding the virtual buttons but the 3DS's physical controls do become a limitation since this game requires a high degree of precision when played at a high level.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2011 4:27 AM BST

Dream Essentials Escape Luxury Travel Sleep Mask with Carry Pouch and Earplugs ~ Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and durable but stains pillow, 19 Sept. 2010
I bought this after trying another "premium" eye mask - the Bucky 40 Blinks. I found that one very comfortable, but it fell apart in less than one month, and the same happened with the replacement one they sent me.

In comparison, the Dream Essentials mask is similar with padding on the inside to give some space to your eyes when you are wearing the mask.

Thankfully this mask is better constructed, with more stitching to help prevent the mask from falling apart (the Bucky just seemed to have the inner lining glued on). I've been wearing it a couple of months now and there are no signs of wear and tear.

The main complaint I have is that it leaves black/blue dye marks on my white pillow cases after I've been wearing it - but this doesn't really bother me a lot.

Playstation Move Controller - Black (PS3)
Playstation Move Controller - Black (PS3)
Offered by Kara-Handelshaus GmbH Preise inkl. MwSt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent hardware, just needs some killer games, 17 Sept. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought two of these Move controllers by themselves (rather than the Starter pack) as I already had a Playstation Eye camera, also you can download all the demos from the PSN store that you would get with the Starter pack - note that they are rather large at more than 10GB to install them all (start downloading them before you get the controllers!).

You do need a Playstation Eye camera to use these controllers, as it used to track the movement of the big ball on the end of the controller - which will glow one of four colours during play (pastel blue, pink, green or yellow).

Also, you don't *need* to buy the Move navigation controller, as most games will only use 1 Move controller, and you can also use the DualShock for navigation in games that it is necessary.

The demo that I've played most so far is the table tennis game in Sports Champions. It feels more realistic and accurate than the equivalent in Wii Sports. A noticeable difference is that on the Wii your character is automatically moves to follow the ball, and you just control his arm. On the PS3, you'll actually have to move to a good position to hit the ball - rather than staying stationary and swinging your arm.

The controller works very well, tracking movements precisely with perhaps the tiniest of lag.

The main question will be whether they can come out with good software that will make use of the controller. Of the launch games, Sports Champions seems to be the best, but it's not really killer software.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2010 9:00 PM BST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars No good... falls apart after less than one month, 10 Aug. 2010
I've had two of these now. First impressions were good, the mask is comfortable, and very good at blocking out light, although there will usually be a small gap of light around the bridge of the nose after you've been wearing it and moving your head around in bed.

But after a couple of weeks I noticed the inner lining starting to peel away. The inner lining is only attached to the mask by weak glue. I think it would be stronger if it had been stitched on.

After a month the inner lining had more or less completely detached, only being held in place by where it is attached to the straps.

I had the 1st mask replaced, and exactly the same is happening with the 2nd mask, so I would not recommend this, unless you fancy buying a new one every month.

Page: 1 | 2