Profile for Kati > Reviews

Content by Kati

Kati (Estonia)

Official Minecraft 2015 Wall Calendar (Calendars 2015)
Official Minecraft 2015 Wall Calendar (Calendars 2015)
by Danilo
Edition: Calendar

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as 2014 - as in pictures that you enjoy ..., 21 July 2015
Not as good as 2014 - as in pictures that you enjoy having on the wall all the time. 2014 was more fun.

Sandworms of Dune
Sandworms of Dune
by Brian Herbert

1.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly appalling, 21 July 2015
This review is from: Sandworms of Dune (Paperback)
The ghastliest, most appalling book I've ever read. Couldn't finish it.
Read it only if you want to know, for whatever mindboggling reason, what literature is not. This is an astonishingly good example of absolute lack of skill and imagination.
I tried, I really tried, out of my deep respect for Frank Herbert, but this miserable collection of repetitive dribble, insultingly lame dialogue and physically painful sentences just takes the most disgusting biscuit in the world. Seeing my despair and anguish, my husband begged me to stop, but I still stubbornly persisted, tearing out my hair and wishing I knew more and stronger swearwords. In the end, though, the pain got too much.
How could they do it, how did they even think they had the right to go anywhere near it? Have they no shame?

Ring for Wine Bell
Ring for Wine Bell
Offered by Bear And Bear Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth its price in laughs!, 29 April 2012
Got this for a friend of mine who is quite fond of good wine. She loved it and all of her friends and family loved it. Only she did send me a message later that day, saying there seems to be a fault with the bell, because she keeps ringing it like mad and no wine arrives... =D We concluded that maybe it should read in small print on the box: "Minions not included."

Radioactive /Bio Hazard Metal Lunch Box with Handle
Radioactive /Bio Hazard Metal Lunch Box with Handle

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 21 Jan. 2011
Very pleased with this lunch box. Got it for my son (16), who had a good laugh when I gave it to him and now happily takes his sandwiches to school in it. It is not suitable for cooked meals as it is not hermetic, but excellent for sandwiches and such. As I hear from my son, it makes people laugh and brings a smile to most faces in the lunch room.

The Snail and the Whale
The Snail and the Whale

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb!, 27 Nov. 2009
This is on the top of our reading list every evening, along with "The Gruffalo". This is a great book! It rhymes and makes sense and has got really good pictures including a monkey, a bear, penguins, seagulls, harbour cats, children, a dog, lightning and so on. Which is all so very enjoyable and detailed! If you are in two minds whether to get this book or not, doubt no longer! This is a MUST HAVE.
We had our youngest one spill Dad's coffee all over it, so I now have to order another copy as some pages have stuck together and torn.

The Gruffalo's Child
The Gruffalo's Child
by Julia Donaldson

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a tad weaker than "The Gruffalo", but worth getting, 27 Nov. 2009
This review is from: The Gruffalo's Child (Paperback)
I find it hard to rate this book, as it IS good, but for some reason that I can't put my finger on it is just a tad weaker than the first one, "The Gruffalo", which really delivered a punch.
But don't get me wrong - it is definitely worth getting and our children love it, although "The Gruffalo" and "The Snail and the Whale" come first.
Get it, read it, enjoy it! I would have rated four and a half, if the option was available!

Incredible Comparisons
Incredible Comparisons
by Russell Ash

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential facts, 6 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Incredible Comparisons (Hardcover)
We have a copy of this at home, courtesy of our grandfather. We bought a new copy for our friend's 7-year-old son, who is really current on natural science affairs. But I mean, who wouldn't want to know that 26 pigs = 1 elephant (African) and 26 of those elephants = 1 blue whale? That the average male weighs as much as 6 skeletons?
It's brilliant, full of facts that are utterly useful (useless) and at the same time give you a certain security in living your life!

The Gruffalo
The Gruffalo

5.0 out of 5 stars A tale with a point, 6 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Gruffalo (Paperback)
Brilliant!
At first, I read this myself and then read it to my kids - completely and utterly enjoying both approaches. This is a really good book, with wonderful rhyming and pictures - I will most certainly get the rest of the series!

Guinness World Records 2009
Guinness World Records 2009

1.0 out of 5 stars Very lame, 5 Feb. 2009
I got this book for my son (14) for Christmas, thinking he would have a lot of fun over the weird and freaky things people in the world have accomplished. At first, he was thrilled as well, but that rather quickly turned into confused bafflement and dismay.
"Mum, what sort of a record is it that the polar bear is the largest carnivore in the world, or that the first plane was hijacked in 1931?" my son asked me.
It turns out that the once exciting book of cool, thrilling, crazy, freaky and awesome things people have done has deteriorated into a general natural history and science book, listing things like Afghanistan's opium production, largest desert, brightest star, closest galaxy, most southerly tree fern... I mean, there's nothing wrong with natural history books, quite the contrary - but this is not what I was looking for here. Although it also lists things like most snails on face, longest hair, hairiest face and highest slackrope walk, it has been reduced to a lame and superficial overview of nature, technology and people. Again, nothing wrong with nature, technology et al, but I buy separate books for that!
This has been a very saddening disappointment to us. Well, at least the covers look good - 1 point for that!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2010 6:03 PM GMT

Antique Maps Calendar 2009 2009
Antique Maps Calendar 2009 2009
by Royal Geographical Society
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting maps, 5 Feb. 2009
I bought this calendar for my father-in-law for Christmas, he's a big fan of maps and travelling. He is very happy with it - he said he hung on his office wall and every day he looks at how they used to draw maps in the really old days and how they saw things.