Profile for Mr ALAN ELSEGOOD > Reviews

Pale Rider/The Outlaw Josey Wales/Unforgiven [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Clint Eastwood
Price: 6.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Clint for President!, 8 Dec 2011
Every time I watch these films I get more out of them: the dialogue, the screenplay, the humour - fantastic. If it's possible to wear a DVD out, these three films will certainly suffer. Sad though it may be, I'm almost word-perfect on many of the scenes in Joe Kidd, and getting close on Josey Wales. Hard to credit that I've been watching Clint since first seeing him as Rowdy Yates in Rawhide (in black and white) in about 1960, and he's (only) 5 years older than me. When I win the EuroMillions Lottery (soon), I want to be presented with my cheque by Clint and then snogged by Dolly Parton. A man can dream, can't he?

Hill 60: Ypres (Battleground Europe)
Hill 60: Ypres (Battleground Europe)
by Nigel Cave
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice narrative: shame about the maps, 28 Jun 2011
The cover (illustrated on this page) is different from the version I received (mine was 4th or 5th Edition, publ 2009). When you buy a book like this, you're entitled to expect that the editor/compiler/publisher will have taken due care to ensure that the maps they give you are clear enough for you to work your way around the battlefield site. In this case, there's a map on the rear cover which I would expect to be the one I'd use for navigation, keeping the book closed. Unfortunately, it seems to have been printed with the directional arrows 180 degrees wrong (ie. reversed North/South). This is obvious as the map on the cover is copied from one on the inside of the book, which is correctly orientated. It doesn't fill you with confidence about other things being accurate.

Walking the Salient: Ypres (Battleground Europe)
Walking the Salient: Ypres (Battleground Europe)
by Paul Reed

4.0 out of 5 stars Having walked the Salient ... Alan Elsegood's review, 3 July 2009
The book is extremely well-researched and -written, good value, and the individual walks allow you to "be there". For some of the walks, to see what YOU want to see, you may have to stitch two or more of the walks together. One thing I found lacking which would have been a great advantage, was a map of the entire area, so that you could see the full scale of the battlefield, flashpoints, trench lines etc. and plan your visits. It's difficult to envisage, now that there are so many new roads and buildings, so a map marking landmarks of the time (eg. Hellfire Corner, the Caterpillar, the extent of the Messines Ridge) would be great help. As it stands, I would recommend also buying the CWGC map/pamphlet entitled "Cemeteries & Memorials in Belgium & Northern France", (costs 10 Euro) although that focuses on cemeteries rather than the battlefields.

Apple iPod classic 120GB - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Apple iPod classic 120GB - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Apple iPod classic, 2 April 2009
This product has driven me mad! Formatted for a Mac, it refused to format for a PC. Every time I connected it to the USB port, my PC died and had to be rebooted. I tried it on 3 different PCs and even took it into the Leeds Apple Store for help. I spent hours online trying to get support and help. It just would not download my music from my PC or cooperate in any way with my systems. It also needs Windows SP3 loaded on the PC: not everyone's favourite and problems of its own. Having persisted and tried for almost 4 weeks, I gave up and sent it back. Bitterly disappointed and very frustrated at having spent so long trying to get it to work.