Profile for Eartha Josephine > Reviews

Content by Eartha Josephine

Eartha Josephine (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Bringing the House Down: A Family Memoir
Bringing the House Down: A Family Memoir
by David Profumo
Price: 7.27

4.0 out of 5 stars The Numero Uno British Sex Scandal, 23 April 2014
I purchased this book in 2007 and I have just read it. I was too young to actually remember it unfolding but anyone who has had a bit of education would find it hard not to have heard the name Profumo...I loved the title which suggested that the author was not going to be too sober about it. Also this is the only Profumo side of the story. At first I found the author rather pretentious in the way he was littering every page with Latin phrases and classical and literary references. There was no way I could enjoy the book my constantly having to open a dictionary and so I have underlined the words I don't know and will look them up later and maybe I will learn something . But I am very sure that most of them were totally unnecessary and I wonder who he was trying to prove himself to.

Anyway I warmed to him as the book went on and I felt that he was being incredibly open and honest about things from his perspective. It was also an insight into upper class lifestyle. Unfortunately or fortunately the Profumo family will never see this story die. Valerie appeared to be the most complex character whereas Jack Profumo himself was almost too simple and uncomplicated to be the central character. I really enjoyed reading the book and had a lot of sympathy for the author who seems to have learned quite well how to live with his name. I wonder what his views were on the latest Lloyd Webber show Stephen Ward the musical...I think it closed early!

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey
by E L James
Price: 3.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Torture....no I mean real Torture!, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey (Paperback)
I have just got round to doing this review a year late! I had seen Rachel Johnson on the TV criticising the book and I thought she was being snobby about it and so I bought the all three books in a cheap deal! believing that millions of women must be right I could not finish the first one as it was so utterly boring. The writing is really terrible....didn't she have an editor? I tried to finish the book by making corrections in pencil and changing phrases that she uses over and over again but I still could not finish it. Both of my daughters could not finish it, one of the worse novels ever. By the time I got to just over half way I was really suffocating and I had to stop. Who are these people who loved it? I must agree that some of the reviews on here are priceless and I may come back to read them any time I need a laugh...and EL James really is laughing all the way to the bank!

White on Black: Images of Africa and Blacks in Western Popular Culture
White on Black: Images of Africa and Blacks in Western Popular Culture
by Jan Nederveen Pieterse
Price: 17.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterful Piece of Research, 23 April 2014
Believe it or not I bought this book in 1992, when it came out and dipped into now and again but I recently decided to read the whole thing, and the amount of research and scholarly knowledge that when into it is quite staggering. I have found so many new sources of information from it and it is really a very big area for further research. Nederveen Pieterse is also a very good writer, especially as he is Dutch but his command of English is first class. It is quite academic but also very readable, although I guessed that with such an abundance of views and ideas he would have trouble finding conclusions in the last chapter and as a result the final chapter was totally mind boggling. Highly recommended.

Last Tango in Halifax - Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Last Tango in Halifax - Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anne Reid
Price: 16.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Tango in Halifax, 14 April 2014
Fast moving , great acting and dialogue, the first three episodes were really fabulous , I hope the others maintain the same level.

At Her Majesty's Request: An African Princess in Victorian England
At Her Majesty's Request: An African Princess in Victorian England
by W.D. Myers

5.0 out of 5 stars An African princess in Victorian England, 14 April 2014
The book arrived in perfect order and looked brand new! The story is really amazing, I knew a bit about the story before but I now have a much fuller picture of what happened to her.

Brick Lane
Brick Lane
by Monica Ali
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a monumental debut novel...but still significant, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: Brick Lane (Paperback)
Finally got round to reading this. The book is a bit too long and I had to skip over the letters from her sister....too much hard work trying to read them, consequently I never really understood much about her sister's character and plight. Also the love story just did not ring true. It is an important story and will have resonance with anyone who knows Tower Hamlets, is from the Asian community or is an immigrant in the UK. The story is a familiar one, the problem of not realising hopes and ambitions, many immigrants , not just Asians will be able to identify with the characters. I still feel that we need to know more about Asian women machinists both in the UK and the sub continent who are being terribly exploited.

I can see why it was shortlisted for the Booker and I can also see why it didn't win! Yes, it was too long but I did like the ending which was positive and is the real reason why people want to come to Britain, council housing and benefits are not the reasons.

I learnt some new stuff too which I will follow up, apparently Britain tried to destroy cloth manufacturing in India to stop it competing with British cloth, also now I know that the genie in the lamp comes from the Indian continent!

Palmerston and Africa: Rio Nunez Affair, Competition, Diplomacy and Justice
Palmerston and Africa: Rio Nunez Affair, Competition, Diplomacy and Justice
by Jasper Ridley
Price: 59.45

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tour de Force, 11 July 2012
I purchased this book to assist with some research I was involved in and I was blown away, not just by the depth of analysis and investigation but also by the bold and superlative writing style. A very unique work.

Property
Property
by Valerie Martin
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Believable, 11 July 2012
This review is from: Property (Paperback)
I didn't quite understand the opening of the book but as it was deeply repulsive and sadistic and involved children I felt I did not want to know more. The book shows how slavery in America corrupted and dehumanised all the parties involved. Some reviewers have said that they did not like any of the characters, but since when was a good book about liking the characters? There was no pretty ending which was a good thing as it left the reader with the cold raw reality of what Africans suffered under American slavery.

Whitney Houston 1963-2012 We Will Always Love You
Whitney Houston 1963-2012 We Will Always Love You
by James Robert Parish
Price: 6.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive but........., 28 April 2012
I am surprised to be the first reviewer considering the uproar surrounding her death. This book is comprehensive but really the author has just laid his hands on every single article or interview about Whitney and repeated the contents. Her early family background was interesting but the author failed to get any new information from the inner circle who really knew her. One thing that emerged was that her mother, an unfulfilled gospel singer, was really living vicariously through her daughter and this may have been behind some of her difficulties. Also Whitney's public persona was not her real self so she must have had to live with the strain of always putting on a public face. She also came over as someone who did not have much intellectual capacity and was not middle class but had to act as though she did. We really need to have a much better biography of the late great and one and only Whitney Houston that reveals who she really was.

Coram Boy
Coram Boy
by Jamila Gavin
Price: 7.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 24 Mar 2012
This review is from: Coram Boy (Paperback)
I bought this book in 2006, as I find the subject matter very interesting, and I have just read it. It is a very sad and moving story, some of which I found shocking, but it is story that needs to be told . The author did a very good job and deserved the book award as she brings so many different elements into the story....great historical fiction . I was surprised that it was a children's book, I would not give it to anybody under 13. (P.S How would the two teenagers in the book not know they were having sex? "Eyes Rolling").

Page: 1 | 2 | 3