Profile for Mark > Reviews

Mark

The Enigma of Capital: And the Crises of Capitalism
The Enigma of Capital: And the Crises of Capitalism
by David Harvey

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously thought provoking and potentially revolutionary.., 5 Jan. 2011
In the modern world one would be forgiven for asking the question of where true human and social values are going. What is the aim of this rat race most of us are caught up in. The better job, the bigger house, faster car and more attractive bank balance... or in worst case simple survival to keep up. All at what cost?

Is the global or capitalist system sustainable? A simple question not asked often enough. Is survival of the fittest to apply only to the people who are better connected, more educated or to those who understand how the financial markets work. If so I personally believe we are in for a bleak future.

This book addressed many of the thoughts I had but could not verbalise or structure in my head. It answered questions which were beyond my humble comprehension and helped me see new angles to aspects of our developing world today.

While not providing all of the answers it certainly would raise many valid questions and help to formulate a debate on whether there is a better more coordinated way to collectively manage the world we live in.

Surely boom and bust to the detriment of many working class and the benefit of the rich can not be something we condole indefinitely into the future.

The answer will eventually lie in the collective power of the people. Ideally through a democratic vote. However, first people need to be educated re an alternative and unite to make a difference.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2011 12:53 PM BST