Profile for Jack daniels > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Outcry: Holocaust Memoirs
Outcry: Holocaust Memoirs

3.0 out of 5 stars Lest we forget, 21 April 2015
A story of survival written in Mannys own words. A little 'artistic licence' here and there, I dont quite believe that you could see your face in a bowl of watery soup. It was later established that although some terrible atrocities occurred, the germans did not make soap from human fat.
It was a miracle that the starving, cloth less, shoeless manny retained a photograph of his mother.
Nevertheless, a rich account of survival amongst the horror of the nazi concentration camps, all such accounts should be read and memorized lest we forget the horror of the holocaust !
Manny Steinberg can be seen giving a verbal account on you tube.

The Silent Sister
The Silent Sister

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars ? ? ?, 13 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Silent Sister (Kindle Edition)
I have given this review 5*s that is so, if like me ,you read the 5* reviews to see how good a book is !
I usually read the 5* reviews and then the 1 & 2* s and know that everything in the middle means that those people thought the book was 'mediocre' !
So now that I have your 5* attention I want to tell you that in the past I have given Diane Chamberlain a very genuine 5* review. I particularly call to mind 'the lighthouse trilogy'. However, on this occasion I have to say that this book is not for me Diane Chamberlains 5* best !
If I was reading this author for the first time I would have to concede that I would probably not be interested enough to go back to her.
The story was so full of improbability that I found my intelligence insulted ! It is difficult to give a detailed reason for this view without also issuing 'spoilers'
The story was interesting and I read to the end, however I felt that the end was rushed and implausible not withstanding the fact that it left a massive 'loose end' which leaves a possible 'next book' I hope not ! Because I did not care enough at the end what the future held for Riley, Danny, Jade or their family !
A 3* book from a 5* author is my verdict. !

Tell No One
Tell No One

5.0 out of 5 stars Tell 'every one ' !, 29 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Tell No One (Kindle Edition)
This is my second Harlan Coben, the first being only a few days ago, and I just could not wait to start another one. So after reading 'The Woods', i went straight to 'tell no one'.
I will leave others to do the synopsis, I will just comment on my reading experience of this book.
I started it at bedtime last night 10 pm, read until I could no longer keep my eyes open, (many hours) and continued as soon as I woke and read until I had finished the book later this morning !
I have been on a rollercoaster of a read.
Tell No One should come with a page turning, clear your diary 'warning' .

Candlemoth
Candlemoth

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripped, 28 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Candlemoth (Kindle Edition)
I heard about this author whilst reviewing another book by Harlan Coben, a fellow reviewer suggested that R.J.Ellory was the better author of the two. So I decided to 'check him out'.
I had given a 5* review to Coben for 'The Woods', I am giving this book 4*s.
I will leave others to give a synopsis of the story, my view is that the book is well written and interesting. I did become 'gripped' by the story of Daniel and his life long friend Nathan ( although life long was only a short time). However there were times when I found the 'history lesson' of the 1960's a bit long winded and wondered where it was all taking me.
I never found myself 'page turning' with bated breath, but always interested enough to keep going.
The climax however, made me realise that I had needed to know the history and climate of 60's America and I hurtled to the end of the book in a 'page turning' frenzy !
I have given only 4*s as I think some readers may feel that they are 'plodding' through, but I can only give assurances that this leads to a satisfying and thought provoking conclusion.
I understand that this is the authors first novel of many, and it would seem from reviews that R.J.Ellory quickly rose through the ranks of excellent crime writer.
I look forward to reading more of this writer.

The Woods
The Woods

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled, 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Woods (Kindle Edition)
I Stayed up all night ! At the end as all the loose ends came together in one satisfyingly big tight knot, I knew instantly that I was not finished with this author !
This was my first Harlan Coben, It had come recommended by a friend. I like my books to 'draw me in' , haunt my dreams, and trouble my waking thoughts.
This book did all those things !
I will leave it to other reviewers to give a synopsis of the story, I am just going to read my next Harlen Coben asap :)

The Night Falling
The Night Falling

5.0 out of 5 stars My heart falling, 10 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Night Falling (Kindle Edition)
The description at the beginning of what it feels like to starve, stayed with me throughout the book. I could not eat without thinking about Ettore and Paola, such was the awareness that the author had invoked in me of the characters.
This is a story of haves and have nots, weaknesses and power. It is about being in a life you think you know, then realising you know nothing about your life or the lives of others at all.
I was drawn into puglia, its heat, its landscape, its harshness. It was hard at first to feel anything for Clare or Pip, they had been invited to share a summer in Italy at the privileged home of the Cardettas. Clares husband Boyd was working for them as an architect and the summer stretched out before them. But, all was not as it seemed and mystery begins to surround the reason for their presence.
Mean while Ettore and his peasant family are starving and desperate in the uncertain political landscape following war. There is a harsh brutality to their lives, It draws you in and makes you care about them.
As everything unfolds there are more questions than answers and I became driven to find out, why did Cardetta have a hold on Boyd, why did Clare and Pip have to be there ?
I knew the characters, the land, felt the heat, the hunger, smelt the dust such was the authors descriptions. Then I fell in love with Ettore, his divided loyalties as Clare falls in love with him and all seems impossibly. I could not answer the questions until the author revealed them which meant for a riveting read !
My only regret was the opening passage starts with AFTER and I wish I had only read after actually after and not before ! There was always a little knowledge in the back of my mind that Clare had an after !
I gave this book 5* because I felt loved, hungry, brutalized, curious, and changed by the descriptions, the characters and the story .

The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me
The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Dear Lucy Robinson thank you, 13 July 2014
Thank you Lucy Robinson for the roller coaster 'romantic' story of the lovely, crazy Sally and hunky, lovely Julian (I fell madly in love with him myself). Love, anger, family bonds (or lack of them), it is all here page after page turning page ! I have to say that I am so not a 'chick lit' reader this was 'chick lit' with 'balls' I loved it from beginning to end. If someone does not make this into a film that will be a , sad, tear jerker then a great opportunity will have been missed. :-)

Reflection
Reflection

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another page turner, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Reflection (Kindle Edition)
I was sat by a noisy pool, holiday makers having fun with the sun shining whilst reading this book.
I thought I had guessed the story early on, how wrong could I have been ! As I became more and more engrossed in the life of Rachel, the secrets of Helen and the towns people of Reflection, I had to leave the pool, the noise and the sunshine. I went back to my hotel room and sat in quiet isolation, there I literally became one of the townsfolk. I spent the next several hours agonising about what I would do if I was Rachel, what if I had been the parent of one of the children or one of the emotionally and physically wounded child victims ? As a reader I lived and breathed every emotion that the characters portrayed. I have read a lot of Diane Chamberlain, and undoubtedly for me this was one of the best !

Necessary Lies
Necessary Lies

5.0 out of 5 stars Not lies, but a sad American truth !, 29 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Necessary Lies (Kindle Edition)
I had to stop reading this book just about two thirds through it. This was because I stopped to google eugenics in America because I could not believe that the 'lies' were based on a 'truth' ! Diane Chamberlain not only tells the dramatic story of Ivy Hart and her family, but as the reader becomes more and more intrigued, the true story of appalling breaches of human rights becomes apparent. It is a terrible tragedy that there were thousands of Ivys, Mary Ellas and Litas. For that reason I thoroughly recommend this book as another example of the brilliant story telling by this author, and also as a history lesson of terrible american atrocities.

Her Mother's Shadow (The Keeper of the Light Trilogy, Book 3)
Her Mother's Shadow (The Keeper of the Light Trilogy, Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars This trilogy ! The 'read' of a lifetime !, 27 Jun. 2014
Book 1 The keeper of the light.
Book 2 Kiss river
Book 3 Her mothers shadow

The trilogy starts and ends with Annie O'Neill The reader learns the impact that 'Saint Annie' has on the community of kiss river. Annie is ordinary and extraordinary, she is a saint and a sinner. However the 'constant' in these page turning, breathtaking novels is the Kiss River lighthouse. The light house has stood since the 18 hundreds, silently observing the lives, the loves, the deaths of the generations of families. The lighthouse has braved the elements, been on the edge of destruction, there have been fights to save it, it has been loved and hated. Some parts are destroyed, some parts lovingly rescued, but just like all the families involved it still stands. It stands, testament to the strengths that lie within it, broken and battered but ultimately loved. Just like the memories of Annie, Mary Poor, Elizabeth and Lacey. The books MUST be read in order to fully appreciate them, although each book has its own stand alone story. COMPELLING !

Page: 1 | 2