Profile for Simon > Reviews

Landscape Photography Workshop, The
Landscape Photography Workshop, The
by Ross Hoddinott

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Introduction or Review, 20 Aug 2011
I perhaps need to start by saying that I know both authors and have been on several of their 'live' workshops (thoroughly enjoyed and well worth while) so perhaps this isn't the most impartial review but please read on, this is still a book that needs your serious consideration. The book is very well written and the advice is they give encompasses every aspect of Landscape Photography in a clearly accessible manner with a realistic view of how the vast majority of us take photographs. They discuss both the artistic and technical sides of photography, and the fact that this is a recent book shows in some of the equipment they discuss and some of the current trends in landscape photography that they review. The book is very well illustrated with Ross and Mark's work and the well reproduced images are carefully chosen to emphasise the points they are making. Although I have been taking photographs for several years and so am no longer a beginner I still found plenty to interest me and some timely reminders of ideas and information that I had forgotten. Workshops are an excellent idea but if you can't find the time or the money then this is well worth your attention.

SYMA 3 Channel Micro Chinook Radio Control Helicopter
SYMA 3 Channel Micro Chinook Radio Control Helicopter
Offered by FamilyMall (8-23 shipping days)

1.0 out of 5 stars When it works its fun., 24 Jun 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
There are lots of favourable reviews about this model so I thought I ought to let buyers know that its not all good news. You ought to know that the helicopter comes with tiny screws that have to be tightened in order to fix the rotors. I had to return the first helicopter as one of the screws had no effect, it turned without tightening. The second helicopter was fun for a while but in less than a week it developed a problem. The communication between the helicopter and the remote would cut out. Either the helicopter would not take off or, if it was in flight, it would crash! On a lesser point, neither of mine were actually three band. The remote contains a three way switch to select the band, but the helicopters didn't, they were set permanently to A. Not a problem unless you want more than one of these but still not an accurate description.

Stylin' with CSS: A Designer's Guide (Voices That Matter)
Stylin' with CSS: A Designer's Guide (Voices That Matter)
by Charles Wyke-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for Beginners, 18 May 2006
I have just produced my first website. I have relatively good IT skills but had never done any website mark-up and CSS was a just a collection of letters I had seen occassionally on websites. I learnt some XHTML from online tutorials and kept coming across the usefulness of CSS and decided I needed to know more. Consequently I bought this book - one of the best decisions I could have made.

The explanations are clear and the layout and use of colour mean that the whole thing is easy to follow. The book starts very simply and gradually gets more complex at a rate that I found easy to cope with. There is a gentle sense of humour throughout that also helps and an understanding on the author's part of which ideas need the most explanation. The last chapter takes the reader through the creation of a fairly complex webpage from start to finish using the ideas from the previous chapters and was a really useful way to round off the book. There is also online help in the form of many of the files you need to follow and try out for yourself what is being done.

Overall, if you have a working knowledge of XHTML and want to start on CSS then I would definitely recommend this to you. Now I'm off to gaze at my website in awe - maybe I should get out more....