Profile for Simon > Reviews

Content by Simon

Simon (Beckenham, United Kingdom)

SodaStream Spare Gas Cylinder, 60l
SodaStream Spare Gas Cylinder, 60l

1.0 out of 5 stars Total rubbish!, 23 May 2016
Absolutely useless! I've had to order 2 more spare cylinders as, having invested in the SodaStream, it seems crazy not to keep going. The original gas cylinder lasted about 3 months with almost daily use. The refill lasted 4 days!!!!!! Ridiculous. I hope Amazon pick this up and do something to compensate us. At almost £16 a time, it's cheaper to buy bottled fizzy water.

Pondlife: A Swimmer's Journal
Pondlife: A Swimmer's Journal

1.0 out of 5 stars Ramblings of an old man, 24 May 2013
I've been a fan of Alvarez but this! My diary is more interesting than his! I kept turning the pages waiting for something, indeed anything, to happen. And nothing did.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2013 8:33 PM BST

Sweet Tooth
Sweet Tooth

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Sweet Tooth (Kindle Edition)
I'm a big fan of Ian McEwan. I started with his short stories way back in the 1970s (if you've not read them, make sure you do because they're brilliant) and read all his novels and loved every one. My very favourite of his is 'Saturday' followed by 'Atonement'. Sweet Tooth doesn't break into my top 3 of McEwan novels but it's still a great read. It's a bit of a cheeky book as McEwan returns to one of his great skills - short story writing - and successfully weaves a number of short stories into the main plot. I've always been fascinating by the 'Monty Hall Problem' (if you don't know what it is, Google it) and clearly McEwan is fascinated by the mathematics of this and how it defies all logic. Great book but nothing less than I expect from this terrific writer.

Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 1)
Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not hooked at all, 27 April 2013
This was a book I thought I ought to read. Everyone I know seems to say "have you read Hilary Mantel?" I had 4 x 2hr train journeys in a week so I decided to give Wolf Hall a crack. I didn't finish it in 8hrs but I got well into it. I decided at the end of the last of these train journeys that this book definitely wasn't written for me and it was with a sense of relief that I said to myself that this was a book I wasn't going to finish. Apart from being incomprehensible (every other character seems to be called Thomas), it's written in a strange tense that I didn't get on with. I'm sure Hilary Mantel won't give a hoot that I think she's an over-hyped writer; and doubtless I'm wrong as millions of people clearly thinks she's the best.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual but brilliant!, 27 April 2013
Definitely the best book I've read in a long time. From the very start you get taken along Harold's amazing journey. Knowing the Kingsbridge area as I do added something but that's not vital to the enjoyment of the book. The characters are totally convincing. The story moves along briskly. At times it's genuinely funny; at others it brings a definite tear to the eye. Loved it.

The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1 (Don Tillman Series)
The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1 (Don Tillman Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh yes!, 27 April 2013
One of the best books I've read this year (and I read a lot). We've all heard the expression that someone's said to be 'on the spectrum' but this is really an insight to what life might be like if you are on the spectrum (my wife tells me I'm on the spectrum so I suppose I ought to know!). This book is very funny and very touching. Highly recommended.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl

4.0 out of 5 stars Great plot but not much more, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
A really gripping plot, totally unpredictable twists & turns. The downsides for me - (a) it's very American; and (b) I found the ending a bit of an anti-climax.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2013 2:58 PM BST

The Child's Child
The Child's Child

4.0 out of 5 stars A book within a book, 27 April 2013
This review is from: The Child's Child (Kindle Edition)
I'm a fan of Barbara Vine; much prefer Ruth Rendall writing in this guise. This was an interesting plot, a book within a book, and it held my interest all the way through. Not quite a 5-star book but definitely a good read.

Ashes 2011: England's Record-Breaking Series Victory
Ashes 2011: England's Record-Breaking Series Victory

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 27 April 2013
This book did nothing for me and I'm a passionate cricket lover. Sorry, not a book I'd recommend to anyone.

Pompeii
Pompeii

5.0 out of 5 stars It has the lot!, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Pompeii (Kindle Edition)
I read Pompeii 10yrs ago and enjoyed it then. Since then I've been to Pompeii & Herculaneum (about 5yrs ago) and very recently been to the Pompeii & Herculaneum exhibition at the British Museum. So, reminded of the area, I decided to re-read Robert Harris' Pompeii. Oh wow! It has everything. Extremely tense, a bit of love interest, convincing characters and if you want to experience what it must have been like to be in the midst of Vesuvius' eruption, then this book takes you right there. Frightening! Brilliant book.