Profile for Victoria Mead > Reviews

Content by Victoria Mead

Victoria Mead "Claremead" (Cold Norton,England)

It Happened to Nancy: The True Story of a Teenager (Confident Collector)
It Happened to Nancy: The True Story of a Teenager (Confident Collector)
by Beatrice Sparks
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 4.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsory Reading, 7 Dec 2006
I just finished reading this and have kept it for my daughter. She is 8 but I will give it to her to read in a few years. I think this should be compulsory reading for ALL teenagers. Honest, sometimes funny but mostly heart wrenching, this is an honest account of feelings and AIDS. How easy it happens, how teenagers think they know best but don't, how it affects your life, others and other peoples perceptions of you. Could NOT put it down, BRILLIANT.

Becoming Anna: The Autobiography of a Sixteen-year-old
Becoming Anna: The Autobiography of a Sixteen-year-old
by Anna J Michener
Price: 10.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and heartfelt., 9 Aug 2006
My heart really went out to this young woman. I truly don't understand how this can go on in what we laughingly refer to as a civilised society. Never mind how parents can be like that to their children, how can the authorities! We are told that children in need are listned to, poppycock! This child was let down by everyone. how bad must things be to want to be mad?to beat your head on a urine soaked floor until you smash your nose, all this done without the aid of alcohol and drugs but borne out of an enourmous need to be heard and taken notice of. Anna as she now calls herself recalls events in an honest way and is extremely fair. I'm glad this young woman had a new start and a new family and is an inspirational read to anyone who feels hard done by. Believe me, compared to Anna,you're not.

Ghost Girl: The true story of a child in desperate peril - and a teacher who saved her
by Torey Hayden
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Horror in Real Life, 9 Aug 2006
My god!!! I read this book in 2 days. Torey Hayden deserves all cudos going for working with and helping Jadie. This reads like a real life horror and what this little girl reveals could never be made up. A true patience and understanding from Hayden comes through in this book, and whilst at times I felt physically sick reading it I can only imagine how she must have felt hearing these revelations from a young child.Hayden also goes into a lot of explanations about possible outcomes at the end of this book and this makes very interesting and informative reading. It is harrowing, gut wrenching, unbelievable(in the shocked sense) and shocking. DO NOT be put off by this, this book is a truly FIRST CLASS read and leaves you realising that just as thare are bad guys there are an awful lot of good guys too. Hayden is one of these.

Kathy's Story: A Childhood Hell Inside the Magdalen Laundries
Kathy's Story: A Childhood Hell Inside the Magdalen Laundries
by Kathy O'Beirne

5.0 out of 5 stars This must be about the dark ages!!!, 10 July 2006
Having just read this book in 2 days I could not believe that this sort of torture and abuse was happening on our doorsteps. This is something I imagined would have happened in the dark ages and not a few years ago. We are suposed to live in a civilised society yet Kathys treatment by her father, the nuns and the priests was barbaric, how those people think they are carrying out gods work is beyond me, I hope they enjoy hell!!! Kathy knew some happiness in her life and her fight for happiness is clear as are all her battles through life. One strong woman and a iron willed young girl. You won't put this down but t WILL make you think.

Because I Remember Terror, Father, I Remember You (Associated Writing Programs Award for Creative Nonfiction)
by Sue William Silverman
Price: 16.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and compelling, 10 July 2006
I have read lots of books on this theme but Sue Silvermans account of her chidhood really made me understand the hold that abusers have over their subjects and why it isn't easy to escape them. She writes from the heart with an honesty and clarity that is to be sdmired, and her strength of charachter glows through. A book that you will find hard to put down.