Profile for Ms. E. J. White > Reviews

Content by Ms. E. J. White

Ms. E. J. White "Gisbournia" (England UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Bacon & Butter: The Ultimate Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
Bacon & Butter: The Ultimate Ketogenic Diet Cookbook

4.0 out of 5 stars Some very tasty recipies here, but also some quite ..., 7 April 2015
Some very tasty recipies here, but also some quite high-carb ones which defeats the object of the exercise. Plus, the portion sizes are quite small for the allowance of carbs - which would undermine the whole effort. Carb cutting should not mean rigid and small portion control - keep it free-flowing.

Ceramic Cream Lidded Butter Dish With Black Butter Script Wording
Ceramic Cream Lidded Butter Dish With Black Butter Script Wording
Offered by SelectiveGoods

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and chunky and feels good to use, 7 April 2015
A swift delivery, securely packed, and a gorgeous retro/country kitchen style butter dish. Nice and chunky and feels good to use.

Touch Of Ginger Urban Survival Range Glove Box Essentials Kit
Touch Of Ginger Urban Survival Range Glove Box Essentials Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars a useful and unusual gift for the friend or relative that ..., 7 April 2015
Given as a present for my nephew to pop in his car, a useful and unusual gift for the friend or relative that loves to motor.

Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
by Richard Castle

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, very entertaining - especially Page 103..., 15 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Heat Wave (Nikki Heat) (Paperback)
I greatly enjoy the Castle TV series, and so couldn't resist trying out the book - especially as I'd watched it being produced and discussed during the TV episodes. I wasn't disappointed - this reads like an extended version of Castle, and all the characters are instantly and authentically recognisable, as is the dialogue.

I had to remind myself on several occasions that this was the fiction, and the TV show was the reality... oops, actually the TV show is fiction too.. drat, it's all so plausable!

Whoever wrote the Castle books is very brave to forego the publicity in favour of the promotion/tie-in gag of having 'real' Castle books on the market. I am assuming it's really written by one of the screenwriters, so seamlessly does it echo the on-screen action and characterisation.

Although, would it have been quite the same 'smash-hit' book had it been just a stand-alone story? I;'d certainly have read it and enjoyed it, but the tie-in gives it a delicious piquancy that exerted full Rick Castle/Jamieson Rook charm over this reader!

Dancing With the Virgins
Dancing With the Virgins
by Stephen Booth

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it's definately starting to grow on me., 7 July 2009
I realy enjoyed the first book, and the second has only cemented my liking for this new (to me) police procedural series.

The landscaping is a character in it's own right, and we're treated to wonderful rich descriptions.

The two main protagonists are slowly developing even more, and the mystery almost seemed second-fiddle to the human dramas being played out.

But mystery there was, as tense as you like and with a varied cast of suspects that ended in a huge shock. Well, almost. I had a suspicion - probably exactly when the author wanted me to!!

Enjoyable, and definately on to the next in the series for me!

The Butcher Of Smithfield: 3: Chaloner's Third Exploit in Restoration London (Exploits of Thomas Chaloner)
by Susanna Gregory

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking! Absolutely Cracking good!, 19 Jun. 2009
This book is truly excellent - everything an historical murder mystery should be, and more.

I like Thomas Challoner even better than her medieval chappie (which is still a firm favourite of mine). But this period is fascinating, rumbustious and so impeccably researched it's a total delight to read.

...and I say this as something of an amateur expert on mid 17thC social & military history! Nothing seems out of place, and everything fits so seamlessly into the story.

It's a great ride, the pace is perfect, from fast-action sequences to more philosophical and social rambles. I love the detail. I love the way we really get a feel for Challoners life. I even felt hungry on his behalf at one point!! (although not for rat stew! Argh!)

Very twisty plot as ever, a touch of the Shardlake style here - and that's intended as a compliment. Indeed, I think those two are my top favourite history-mystery authors at the moment- and fabulous as a brain-teaser.

The earlier two books are reccomended to be read first, but not absoluitely neccessary as the story is very stand-alone, thankfully. Now I can't wait to get hold of her fourth book in this series!

Skin Privilege: (Grant County series 6)
Skin Privilege: (Grant County series 6)
by Karin Slaughter

1.0 out of 5 stars Egotistical author spoils the series..., 13 Jun. 2009
...and I'm absolutely apalled at the selfish way the Karin Slaughter has ended this novel.

Fact is, Ms Slaughter, unless you write for sheer pleasure and not for profit, then the public who buy the books have just as much vested interest in the characters as you do. You owe them some consistency.

Now, if you'd taken your decision at some point a dozen novels down the line then maybe fair enough. But this.. is too soon. As an ending it was unecessary and frankly badly written, slapdash and without any real creative flair.

I was looking forwards to reading all the rest of the books. Especially seeing how the Tryptych characters linked in, but frankly I won't bother now.

I'm sure there will be plenty who'll continue to buy your books, but I won't be one of them. I don't want to waste the time investing in being interested in any of the characters any more, as I don't trust the author to write with integrity.

Shame. A really promising series utterly blitzed.

Black Dog
Black Dog
by Stephen Booth

4.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous discovery! Hooray!, 13 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Black Dog (Paperback)
This came as a surprise, after thinking that the classic Brit Police Procedural was all written out. I do have other favourites but whilst I was waiting for the authors to get writing the next in their various series, I decided to take the plunge on an unknown.

Well, unknown to me, at any rate. I have now finished it in one afternioon, completely unable to put it down (despite promising myself, just one more chapter then I'll do some chores..)

Loved the characters, Ben is totally sympathetic and intriguing, not a saint, enough flaws to be likeable, enough empathy and integrity to be respected. Great start and revelation of his personal circumstances, and he's a definite favourite even now.

Not so keen on Dianne (maybe not meant to be?) not a sympathetic character, even though we are possibly supposed to understand her overly-egged classic 'unfortunate' background (all that happening to one person and she still survives in today's police force??). So no, I look forward to seeing her disappointed in books to come!!

The story was delightfully wrought, though, and really brought to life the locale and the loneliness and the close ties between such communities. Impossible not to be drawn in and kept rolling along with the action.

Although.. according to a review by the Sunday Telepgraph, reporter Susanna Yager trumpets "...and the unguessable solution to the crime comes as a real surprise." Well, no, not that much of a surprise, actually. We were pointed in the right direction very distinctly. And I'm usually a bit rubbish at guessing whodunnit.

But this is the first book in the series, so maybe the author just didn't want to be acused of breaking the code of the Golden Age of Detectives.

I shall definately be getting the next book in the series, and hopefully the cops will discover whodunnit before I do!!

The Templar, the Queen and Her Lover (Knights Templar Mysteries (Headline))
The Templar, the Queen and Her Lover (Knights Templar Mysteries (Headline))
by Michael Jecks

4.0 out of 5 stars Another historical masterpiece!, 26 May 2009
As I flicked through the first few pages/chapters and speed-read a little (bad habit of mine!) I did wonder at first if I was going to like this as much as the others.

There seemed so many threads, so many extra characters, I was wondering (a) if we'd get to see much of Baldwin and Simon and (b) if I'd be interested in and be able to keep track of all the different alleyways and side-stories and back-stories of the book.

I needn't have worried, as they all converged nicely alongside and yes, our heroes were in a good prominence (although, I do have to say, maybe not *quite* as much as in the books set in Devon..)

A pacey tale, with all the glorious details of early 14thC life set out with such loving knowledge, it was a pleasure to read, as ever. Everything ties up well and credibly, and there's always room for a few surprises and twists at the end. Quality!

Paris in it's early years was interesting, although I shared our hero's desire to get back to good old Blighty as soon as possible!

Not Dead Enough
Not Dead Enough
by Peter James

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting better all the time.., 26 May 2009
This review is from: Not Dead Enough (Paperback)
...and I have to admit I'm pretty hooked on the series now.

Okay, so some of it is a re-take on a very old theme, but - oddly enough - that doesn't matter when all's said and done.

It does grip, you DO wonder what's going on and - for pssibly the first time since I started reading this series - I started to give a damn about the book's peripheral characters -i.e. heroes/villians/victims.

Definately a solid success, and looking forward to more.

Page: 1 | 2