Profile for NIKOLA > Reviews

Content by NIKOLA

NIKOLA

Sony Walkman W273 4GB Waterproof MP3 Player for Swimming, Running and other Sports, with Wearable design - White
Offered by Amy`s Schätze

4.0 out of 5 stars In water it does what is says, 7 Feb. 2014
Well, I must say, I don't do any fancy turns in the water or pretend I'm Thorpe. However, I'm no hardly moving granny that does 20 meters and that's it, swim for the day done. I swim around 30 minutes a day and for the most part my head is submerged. I prefer breaststroke.

Yes, you do have to do a bit of figuring out how to adjust this contraption so that it fits well to you. You need to have the player fixed somehow on your head so that the earbuds remain fixed in your ears and water stays out. The black elastic band is meant to, in a way, shorten the cord between the two electric elements, so unless your head is quite large make sure you use it as it does the job well.

My first try was semi successful as I didn't fix the player well. Second try was great actually as I used the elastic band and hence the earbuds remained firmly in my ears.

The buttons on this are quite small but once you get used to them (which won't take long) all is fine and dandy.

Sound quality and volume were very good considering the impact of water and constant movement. If you expect to hear it all as well as in your room, then stay in your room.

Now, I'm not a runner so I haven't tested it in those conditions but my experience, from when using it the very first time after it arrived, is that all the outside sounds go away - you literally hear just the music and nothing else. This was with a reasonable level of volume. This is all fun and good when in water, but if you intend to use this player while running somewhere outdoors where there's traffic and people passing by or coming up behind you, it may not be very safe. But if you like such surprises, you found your player!

Overall, I like this thingy. It made my swims even more enjoyable. I'd recommend it to reasonable people who can manage their expectations. I wouldn't recommend it to Michael Phelps or those hotheads imagining they swim as well as he does.

Cheerio!

1913: The Year before the Storm
1913: The Year before the Storm
by Florian Illies

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad - quite Germanic though..., 6 Feb. 2014
Interesting read before going to sleep. It felt like watching TV series in some way - scenes keep changing fast and you follow certain number of characters who just live in the same time but do not interact. I found it very focused on the German/Austrian/Central European world, although it does talk about other parts of the planet.

For you to enjoy the book well, you need to have a decent knowledge of the big names from those parts of the Continent which I can't say I had (Mann, Kafka and similar we all know, but there were some other mainly German characters for which Wiki was handy).

It's a nice book for when you get 15 or 20 minutes here and there to read a bit - good for reading on the underground or such other commutes.