Profile for Light-Man > Reviews

Content by Light-Man

Light-Man (Dublin)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
iBasso DX50 24/192 HiFi Audiophile Digital Audio Player with Lossless support & Wolfson DAC

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent product, 1 July 2015
A decent product but has major competition from Fiio X3ii and Hidizs AP100

AudioQuest Hard Mini 3.5mm Jack to 2 x RCA Adaptor
AudioQuest Hard Mini 3.5mm Jack to 2 x RCA Adaptor
Offered by AudioVisual Online

5.0 out of 5 stars A good product, 1 July 2015
A good product, works as intended and does not degrade the sound.

FiiO X5 MP3 Player & DAC
FiiO X5 MP3 Player & DAC

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 10 April 2015
NOTE: NEW X5ii MODEL OUT JUNE 2015 for same price!!!!

I would describe the X5 as analytical and to me it has an in your face sound and that you either love or hate - so much so that I found myself getting irritated. I found I had to have the volume up high to get a satisfing full bodied sound, which is not good for ones hearing. (using Yamaha HPH 200 cans)

I have sinced moved on to the Hidizs AP100 and I would decribe the AP100 as musical and well balanced with good dynamics and has a non tiring sound with great soundstage, it does very well with all types of music. I have mine about 2 months with some serious burn in time and it keeps on improving. My opinion is that the AP100 is way better and I was relieved to pass on my X5.

But I accept that the X5 will have a synergy with certain IEM's but I dont have any decent ones.

PS Dont forget the New Fiio X3ii out now and new X5ii out mid June 2015.

Cayin C5 Portable HiFi Headphone Amplifier
Cayin C5 Portable HiFi Headphone Amplifier
Offered by EA Audio

4.0 out of 5 stars Good amp but prefer Fiio E12A, 23 Mar. 2015
Good amp but I prefer the Fiio E12A, this is a very powerful amp and I only ever had it turned up to volume level 4 on low gain.

I believe it is not as neutral as the E12A as it adds some of its own character to the sound. I found the volume dial was more difficult to find when in your pocket compared to the 12A (due to its end cap enclosure) and overall I was a little disappointed.

Hidizs AP 100 High End Hi RES professional Audio Music Player
Hidizs AP 100 High End Hi RES professional Audio Music Player
Offered by Claratone Deutschland

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Player, 18 Mar. 2015
Great Player, really good sound. I have had Fiio X1, X3 and X5, Ibasso DX50 and 90, Audioquest dragonfly 1.2 and Cambridge Dac Magic Xs and I find this the best of the lot.

It has a non fatiguing musical sound with a great sound stage and depth and a strong built in amp.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2015 4:02 PM BST

iBasso DX90 High Performance 8GB Digital Audio Player with Dual ES9018K2M DAC Design
Offered by Hihi Electronic

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but there is strong Competition from Hidizs AP100, 26 Feb. 2015
3.5 Stars. Good but a little reserved for me and needs at least 400 hours run in time as suggested by Ibasso to loosen up and sound its best.

The sound can be a touch dry and clinical and the replaceable battery is known not to be as reliable as it should be and only lasts about 4 hours before recharging.

I found the touch screen to be a bit of a pain on several occasions and need to be carefully cleaned (when it acted up), it also froze on me a number of times.

I was perhaps unlucky??? where mine stopped playing after about 500 hours and I returned it to Amazon who refunded me promptly without any hassle.

I found the much cheaper DX50 to be almost as good and has a warmer mid-range but its amp section was a bit weaker.

The amp section of the DX90 is not as good or a powerful as I expected and the addition of the Fiio E12A shows it up.

Overall I think it is a little overpriced (I paid £350) and with new major competition from the much cheaper Hidizs AP100 which I think is at least as good and to me more musical. For those on a budget the Fiio X1 which is a musical star for its price (when run in 200 hours + and with good suitable phones)

Profigold 3m High Performance Portable Audio Interconnect 3.5 mm to 2x RCA 24K Hard Gold Connections

4.0 out of 5 stars A good inexpensive cable, 26 Feb. 2015
A good inexpensive cable, I found it better than its more expensive sibling also the QED J2P and the Audioquest cheaper models. My only gripe was that it was very difficult to plug the phono plugs into the amp for the first time as the plugs were too tight.

FiiO E12A Mont Blanc IEM Special Edition, Portable Headphone Amplifier
FiiO E12A Mont Blanc IEM Special Edition, Portable Headphone Amplifier
Offered by Advanced MP3 Players

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Amp, 26 Feb. 2015
4.5 Stars. Very good but it needs at least 200 hours run in time to sound near its best. I found it played it a little too safe and tries a little too hard not to offend. I thought the overall sound in particular the mid-range could do with a touch more body. Overall an excellent product and I prefer it to the Cayin C5 amp.

Fiio X1 Portable High Resolution Lossless Music Player
Fiio X1 Portable High Resolution Lossless Music Player
Offered by Advanced MP3 Players

5.0 out of 5 stars What a bargain!, 26 Feb. 2015
the X1 is an absolute bargain but it need about 200 hours run in time to sound its best.

Yamaha HPH-200 Headphones - White
Yamaha HPH-200 Headphones - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Them, 29 Oct. 2014
I really like these, I agree with all the good reviews and that is why I bought them.

They are very light, very well made and sound great without too much bass emphasis.

Only slight negatives, they leak a lot of sound as expected as they are open backed but this aspect benefits the sound, they could also be a little more comfortable but you could say that about most.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6