Profile for D. Mckelvie > Reviews

Liquid Chalk - 250ml
Liquid Chalk - 250ml
Offered by glamour007

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin (bottle), 21 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Liquid Chalk - 250ml (Misc.)
Easy and convenient to use. Reduces chaffing on heavy lifts and reduces sweat, therefore giving a more secure and comfortable grip. Can't fault it really.

Fat Gripz The Ultimate Arm Builder Grip
Fat Gripz The Ultimate Arm Builder Grip

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 15 Feb. 2014
Excellent product. Well made and durable. Performs exactly as they claim. My view is that these are also incredible value for money. Compare the cost of these to what you would pay for a thick bar (which most gyms don't even have) and you'll see that the cost/value benefit of fatgripz is exceptional. After using these once a week for only a few weeks doing timed holds, I've already noticed a difference in my grip stamina. This is especially noticeable on dead lifts, which I do completely raw. My double overhand grip is is now quickly approaching that of my staggered grip. 5 stars all round.

MRI BLACK POWDER ULTRA 40 SERVINGS BLUE RASPBERRY - PRE-WORKOUT ENERGY
MRI BLACK POWDER ULTRA 40 SERVINGS BLUE RASPBERRY - PRE-WORKOUT ENERGY
Offered by Atlantic Trading from USA

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but be warned, 30 Mar. 2013
Good energy and pumps. There is a warning in the side off the tub for residents of California saying that the product contains carcinogenic ingredients. I assume the Californians have a similar physiology to the rest of us ... So be warned.

NEW BRAWN BOOK 1 (Stuart Mcrobert's New Brawn)
NEW BRAWN BOOK 1 (Stuart Mcrobert's New Brawn)
by Stuart McRobert

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply awesome, 30 Mar. 2013
If you're like me and want to put on some serious muscle and have perhaps struggled with the modern "wisdom" promoted in the current bodybuilding magazines, then this is the book for you. Buy it now without a second thought. It will turn out to be one of the best investments you've made, with the returns paid in muscle mass.

The book is incredibly detailed and thorough. What I really like about it is that it is complete; it takes you from the origins and history of the routine all the way up to a modern application and covers in depth the technique, diet, schedule options and set/rep schemes to put the programme into practice in a way that works for you.

Following the programme as advised will get incredibly tough. After a few weeks on the programme you will be approaching your limit of muscular strength and endurance and the workouts with leave you exhausted for days. It's critical to follow the diet and recuperation advice and do not get back into the gym until you are absolutely ready. This is not for the faint-hearted. Even just 4-5 exercises per routine, twice a week, can be extremely efficient at building muscle if the advice in this book is properly applied.

I've personally followed routines advocated my Stuart McRobert for about 4 years. They have proven very effective for me and helped me add over 10kg of body weight. Within those years I've included 20 rep squat programmes too, but I can see now, after reading this book, that I was missing some key details that would have given me even better results.

The beautiful simplicity of the approach is very refreshing, it made me think of Ockham's razor; why go for a more complicated approach if there is a simpler one that is more efficient and effective? Simple doesn't mean easy. Get ready for some serious hard work. Buy this book. Forget everything you ever read about the routines and minutiae of modern pro body builders and prepare yourself to build some serious old school beef.

Dipping Black Leather with Heavy Duty Steel Chains [Misc.]
Dipping Black Leather with Heavy Duty Steel Chains [Misc.]

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome bit of kit, 2 April 2010
You won't go wrong with this. If you're like me and love doing dips but have got to the point where you can do so many of them that they are not much of a challenge any more then this is the perfect thing to keep you dip session interesting and progressive. The construction is really tough and durable and the belt is easy to use. I've been using it for some weeks now and it still keeps me exited about chest and triceps day. So far I've used up to 25 kg of additional weight and the belt seemed to hold it easy, I imagine the belt could hold 40 kg without too many problems but it's going to take me some months to work up to that :).

Saints Row 2 (PS3)
Saints Row 2 (PS3)
Offered by Turbotrance

4.0 out of 5 stars Alternate reality GTA ... without the graphics, 24 Oct. 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Saints Row 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
GTA IV grew a concience and drew the player into questions of morality, justice, retribution and revenge etc. At the same time Rockstar crafted a very realistic world which probably took away a lot of the mindless fun that used to be a GTA trademark, i.e. destroying everything in your path and seeing how long it took the cops to take you down. Saints Row 2 decided on a different route and has retained the moral immunity enjoyed in GTA 3 & VC, which serves to free up the gameplay and provide more fun, thrills and laughs than GTA4.

The similarities between GTA and Saints Row are obvious; almost every element of the game has been lifted in some way from the GTA franchise. However, it is all blended together in a way that gives it a sense of originality.

The only let down to the game is the graphics; when I first started playing I thought I was on a PS2, but after a while my eyes adjusted and it didn't bother me so much.

All in all Saints Row 2 is a great game that offers a lot of fun, action and laughs. If it sorted some glitches out and improved the graphics then it could possibly take the crown currently worn by GTA4.

Systematic Chaos
Systematic Chaos

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome - not a bad track on the album!, 1 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Systematic Chaos (Audio CD)
Over the years various people have said I should check out Dream Theater but for some reason I never got around to it. So before getting this album I had only heard a few of their earlier tracks once or twice. I say this as there are a lot of reviews that give this album a low rating, and they seem to be based on the fact that this is somewhat of a departure in quality from their previous work. I honestly can't comment on that, and so I, objectively, review this album as a stand alone work of music.

The music is masterfully crafted and expertly executed. The structures and riffs are such that it may take a while to really get into the music for those who aren't used to music of this complexity; it took me a good two or three listens before the album really grew on me. That said, it never felt like hard work to listen to, despite the unusual time signatures, syncopation, tempo changes and key changes; it all blends naturally and these devices genuinely emphasise the passion of the music rather than being thrown in for the sake of it. All of the tracks combine together to make a whole; repeating themes and motifs are threaded through the music making the album a unified whole.

There are parts where influences from other bands are very obvious. For me this isn't necessarily a bad thing as Dream Theater mix all these influences and create something unique and, in my opinion, beyond the abilities of the influencers.

I have to give this album 5 stars for the expert musicianship demonstrated, along with the intelligently structured songs and consistent quality of the music throughout. If the previous works of Dream Theater are better than this then Amazon need to add more stars to their rating system.

Ascendancy
Ascendancy
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars The Way Metal ought to be, 31 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Ascendancy (Audio CD)
If this isn't metal then I don't know what is. The level of musicianship is excellent, everything is really tight and precise and it's heavier than a very heavy thing in an atmosphere a lot denser than our own. Of particular note is the twin guitar work, which gives a complimentary lift to the riffs that pound through the entire album.
There are a lot of death vocals on this album, which I think often suit the mood of the music. However there are many more melodic passages, which at times are reminiscent of Metallica. Actually, there were times when listening to the album when I thought 'this is Metallica the way they should be'. That said I think the album misses the accolade of 'greatness' reserved for the likes of Metallica (current material excluded) as, despite the material being strong, there is nothing classic or epic there, which is why I've awarded 4 stars and not 5.
I think these guys will go on to achieve greatness in the future as they are still young and seem to be developing quickly. I guess we'll see what we'll see!

The Gracie Way: An Illustrated History of the World's Greatest Martial Arts Family (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Series)
by Kid Peligro

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 7 Jan. 2005
This book is an incredible and personal look into the individual lives of the most prominant members of the Gracie family. The accounts are respectfully written and foster a great admiration for the discipline, dedication and courage that each of the men featured in the book has displayed.
Although the accounts are in a way biographical I think each of the characters featured in the book could fill a volume twice the thickness of this book. So it is in no way a comprehensive biography of any of them. Rather it focusses on the inspiring stories of their struggles, dedication and triumphs.
If you want to read entralling accounts of their matches (official and otherwise), streetfights and other shinanigans then you can't go wrong with this. If you love jiu jitsu you will read this again and again.

Mastering Jujitsu (Mastering Martial Arts Series)
Mastering Jujitsu (Mastering Martial Arts Series)
by Renzo Gracie

4.0 out of 5 stars A great Jujitsu book with a MMA focus, 7 Jan. 2005
The first part of this book takes a comprehensive look at the development and proliferation of Jujitsu throughout various Japenese eras then through to Brazil and so on. This section is informative whilst still managing to retain the reader's interest.
The book then goes into discussing the three phases of combat and strategies and techniques for each one.
The main ground positions are then looked at and some techniques and combinations are presented from the top and bottom in each position.
I think that just about anyone involved in any of the grappling arts could benefit in some way from this book. It has great techniques and training ideas. The only complaint would be that there are no gi techniques, however, these are covered in depth in Renzo's other book written with Royler. That said, most of the techniques shown are directly transferable to gi work.

Page: 1 | 2