Profile for JR > Reviews

Dark Skies [DVD]
Dark Skies [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keri Russell
Price: 3.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story and build up, underwhelming conclusion, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: Dark Skies [DVD] (DVD)
I was very excited to watch this film but missed it at the cinema, so got the DVD. The story is essentially Paranormal Activity but in place of a demon, it's aliens. The story builds up very nicely and subtly, as expected, and I was genuinely engrossed by it but I felt let down by the ending. It ends in a way which didn't leave me satisfied and it just seemed as though they were going to expand in a post-credits scene, but no. I guess we'll have to see in a sequel. Another minor thing that annoyed me was the CGI on the aliens, I know it's a low-ish budget horror film but they looked terribly unbelievable and for me it ruined the whole suspense.

On the actual DVD, there's a commentary with the director, writers and editor and a few deleted and alternate scenes.

Overall, a nice premise and good build up of a story with a conclusion that left me unsatisfied.

The Hunt (Jagten) [DVD]
The Hunt (Jagten) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mads Mikkelsen
Price: 9.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply cinematic art., 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Hunt (Jagten) [DVD] (DVD)
This film amazed me to the point that I was speechless by the end of it! I was wowed completely by the story and the brilliant Mads Mikkelsen (Casino Royale). The premise (without spoilers) is that Lukas (Mikkelsen) is wrongly accused of assaulting a girl at a nursery and the film follows the unfolding events after that. We essentially watch a mans world fall apart over these wrong accusations. I was entirely gripped by this and you really do feel for this character who has gone from being one of the most popular people to being shunned and abused by everyone. I've never been left in a state of awe at a film before, but it was simply brilliant to the point that words cannot describe. It's one that I would say you have to watch to understand but I'm confident you would feel the same. Definitely buy!

On a side note, this film is in Danish with English subtitles in case not clear

Oz the Great and Powerful (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [Region A & B & C]
Oz the Great and Powerful (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [Region A & B & C]
Dvd ~ James Franco
Price: 10.30

4.0 out of 5 stars A great film for all the family, 4 Aug 2013
Oz the Great and Powerful was highly enjoyable and works as a fairly nice prequel to the events of The Wizard of Oz. With a well known cast, James Franco, Mila Kunis and Rachel Weisz for example, you know you are going to get a good film with good acting. My only critique would be that in some parts it just felt too long and some parts could have easily been skipped but this doesn't detract from the film too much it's still great and one to watch over and over.

Overall, it was always going to divide people but it worked for me and it might just work for you too! Definitely recommend.

Far Cry 3 Classics (Xbox 360)
Far Cry 3 Classics (Xbox 360)
Offered by Fuzion
Price: 15.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Same game different branding, 4 Jun 2013
This is essentially the same game as the 'original' version but just branded a classic, and rightly so. This doesn't, in any way, mean that it includes any extras or is a type of game of the year edition, it is just that the case is different with the words 'classics' written on it. It's down to personal preference whether you like this or not (I know some people would avoid at all costs). As for the game, it's a brilliant RPG and everything you would expect from one, discovering locations, levelling up skills and even finding various objects e.g. 120 Relics, if you want to. Almost from the offset you can go off and explore and hunt or just do what you want. The graphics are the best of what an Xbox 360 can achieve and the story is gripping and memorable compared to other games.

If you're skeptical, give it a chance! I was at first and can't believe what I would have missed out on. All in all a great game and definitely worth the play.

Taken 2 - Limited Edition Steelbook (Blu-ray + UV Copy)
Taken 2 - Limited Edition Steelbook (Blu-ray + UV Copy)
Dvd ~ Liam Neeson
Price: 26.99

4.0 out of 5 stars As a stand alone film it's okay, 28 May 2013
I think this film has received a lot of hate just from people jumping on the bandwagon. It's not bad by any means, it's just not as good or as fresh as the first. If it was to be seen as a stand alone film I think it wouldn't have received half the hate that it has. I agree that parts of the story are far fetched or just silly but it's still an enjoyable watch. As for the blu-ray itself, it comes with a host of extras mainly that of an alternate ending and a couple of documentaries along with deleted scenes and and extended version of the film.

It's not gonna be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's a film that you have to watch yourself and quite ironically you can't base of over people's opinions, as they are always gonna be like marmite in cases like these.

Star Trek: Klingon Fan Collective [DVD]
Star Trek: Klingon Fan Collective [DVD]
Dvd ~ Star Trek
Price: 14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A good basis to compare the star treks with each other, 28 May 2013
I'm writing this as someone who is new to Star Trek and was in debate over which series I should start with and managed to base it of off this box set. Featuring at least one episode from each of the five series, it's a good little set to start of a collection if not wanting to jump into full collections straight away. I found it worth it just to have a copy of the Deep Space Nine episode "Trials and Tribble-ations" to compare with the Original Series "The Trouble with Tribbles" both very funny episodes and very re-watchable. It also provides the pilot episode for Enterprise, "Broken Bow" which gives you a taste of one of, in my opinion, one of the most underrated series of recent time. It provides barely any extras, just text commentaries on some of the episodes, so not worth getting if you already have the whole collections...or it may just be what you want to have all your favourite Klingon episodes in one convenient set.

All in all, a nice set for beginners and a nice set of convenience for those who have already seen the episodes.

The Silence of the Lambs - Limited Edition Steelbook (Blu-ray + DVD) [1991]
The Silence of the Lambs - Limited Edition Steelbook (Blu-ray + DVD) [1991]
Dvd ~ Jodie Foster
Offered by Its_a_Steel
Price: 22.95

5.0 out of 5 stars An undeniable classic, 26 May 2013
The film itself is brilliant with superb acting across the cast, which was reflected in its oscar wins. Having bought the steelbook edition, I was a little upset that the DVD and Blu-ray contained within we're actually recycled from other releases,especially the DVD which I think was from 2001ish. It's not a major deal and I'm certainly not going to retract stars from the review as I don't want to sway the average unfairly. All in all a brilliant film, have recommended to every one I know! It's definitely a classic that has gone down in history and will continue to be remembered in years to come.

Star Trek: Enterprise - The Full Journey [DVD]
Star Trek: Enterprise - The Full Journey [DVD]
Dvd ~ Scott Bakula
Offered by 101Trading
Price: 64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series with lots of extras!, 26 May 2013
Having never seen an episode of any of the various Star Trek series, I wanted to start with what is in the timeline chronologically correct for the trek universe. If, like me, you have never seen any of the other series than you will enjoy it as much as I have, as the problem of recycled story lines won't be an issue ( until you then have to watch the others!). As for extras it is as packed as anyone would expect, deleted scenes for some of the various episodes as expected. As for the packaging, don't necessarily let the cardboard box put you off entirely, in the long term I can see how it might be problematic, but as of now I've found limited scratches which haven't at all affected viewing.

But if you are avoiding because of cardboard then definitely get the slimline individual seasons, don't avoid this great series!

Boardwalk Empire - Season 1-2 Complete [DVD] [2012]
Boardwalk Empire - Season 1-2 Complete [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Steve Buscemi

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series which is too unknown!, 26 May 2013
Having never seen it on tv, I took a gamble at this purchase and am so happy I did! This box set contains the 24 episodes from the first two seasons and a lot of extras on the box such as on set documentaries and character dossiers which change along with the story line and feature on every disc to support this.

The cast and acting is brilliant! The stories are engaging and twisting and provide great character development, you can love one character one minute and loathe him the next and the same the other way round.

A really great series which in my opinion deserves more attention than it is currently receiving!