Profile for Octoberman > Reviews

Octoberman (Hampshire)

Minstrel in the Gallery
Minstrel in the Gallery

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 3 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Minstrel in the Gallery (Audio CD)
When I first bought this album some 35 years ago I thought that side 2 was the best side 2 of any album I'd ever heard. Over the years the side 2 of my album had got a bit worn out so I decided to get it on CD. I'm so pleased I did.

This is probably the most acoustic Tull album, but occasionally Martin Barre is given licence to play a bit as well.

Ian Anderson used to say he took up the flute because he felt he would never make it as a guitarist, and it was more portable as well. I would beg to differ (or I've fallen in to a big trap). The acoustic playing is gorgeous: the plectrum slides across the strings and lands perfectly on the individual notes to be picked out, and follows or counterpoints the melody beautifully (think of "Wond'ring Aloud", "Life's a Long Song").

With a capo on the third fret, he can't do anything wrong.

The Very Best Of Badfinger
The Very Best Of Badfinger
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Some of the best songs ever written, 3 Oct. 2009
Not all these songs are top-notch; however, No Matter What, Day After Day and Without You are of the highest quality. They are three of the best songs ever written. You'll probably know Without You from Harry Nilsson. Day After Day might have "inspired" Joe Jackson to write "Breaking us in two" or maybe not. Proteges of the Beatles, they should have achieved so much more. Sadly, Tom Evans and Pete Ham were not robust enough to survive the rigours of the music business - demonstrating how important it is to have a good lawyer.

In the Land of Grey and Pink
In the Land of Grey and Pink

4.0 out of 5 stars English music nearly at its best, 3 Oct. 2009
This is recommended for anyone with discerning musical taste who might be a little fed up with boring and derivative (American-influenced) 12 bar blues. Caravan come from the European tradition. Their nearest well-known relative would be Camel, with whom Richard Sinclair played bass in the 1970s (although I believe he said his time with Camel was the nadir of his career). This album is full of melody and whimsical (in some cases lower sixth form) lyrics.