Profile for phlkanad > Reviews

Content by phlkanad

phlkanad

Page: 1 | 2
LED HD Projector For Game Consoles, TV, DVD, PC, Laptop, Media Player Home Cinema
Offered by ABIS Outlets
Price: 169.00

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., 20 Jun 2014
I excitedly took the parcel in from the courier and opened it. When I took the projector from the box I felt a sickening rattle of from side to side. Yes a DOA. Never mind AlBIS outlets were great and v. quickly I got a working replacement. Sad to say it did not live up to expectations at all. I had wanted a Projector to show the World cup games on. The quality is just nowhere near that of a business presentation device. The sound is tinny and the image v. poor. The lesson learned is to add the price paid for this to the budget for my next TV purchase and enjoy a 50" HD screen at 500 or so.
Lastly a word about ALBIS Outlets. In summary very good! After understanding the issues with the first unit they have promised to arrange collection for the second foc. Good service from them. Ask for Kerri !

LG 42LN540V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED TV with Freeview HD/Intelligent Sensor/HDMI Connectivity (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product at great price, 20 Jun 2014
I read all of the reviews before buying this TV - normally I'm in John Lewis or wherever looking and looking at TV's galore for ages but I was so convinced by people's ratings I took a punt. V. glad I did. It's excellent! Some may say a bit basic in this day and age (only 2 HDMI's for example) but excellent quality picture on Standard Definition Sky and DVD's/Blu-Ray's look great. Sound OK, actually quite loud. Not as good as with a 5.1 system natch but nevertheless at 314 from Amazon Outlet a great price. Apparently there is a 0.6cm scratch on it somewhere - hence the price - but I can't find it.
Buy one!

AURAGLOW 8w LED B22 Bayonet Light Bulb, Warm White, 60w EQV
AURAGLOW 8w LED B22 Bayonet Light Bulb, Warm White, 60w EQV
Offered by Safield Dist. Ltd
Price: 24.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Send back, 26 Dec 2013
Not enough light, too yellow and certainly not a replacement for a 50W Hallogen. Have bought other makes on line which are better. Not recommended.

12" Thermostatic Mixer Shower Head Fixed Round Modern Chrome Bathroom SH32
12" Thermostatic Mixer Shower Head Fixed Round Modern Chrome Bathroom SH32

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 26 Dec 2013
If I could give this six stars I would. Replaced an inferior shower head from a well known high st store of Bathroom fittings that simply fell apart after less than 2 years. A replacement was going to cost circa 250.00 so I bought this instead. Glad I did. Superior quality, very weighty and comes in a drawer string cloth bag to protect the mirror finish - nice touch. Easy to fit and gives an excellent rain shower effect. PS we have close to 2 bar so that probably helps. All round highly recommended and would but from this company again

Skins A200 Long Men's Compression Tights - Black/Yellow, S
Skins A200 Long Men's Compression Tights - Black/Yellow, S
Price: 44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 5 Dec 2013
Used these as one of three pairs of tights I had for a 90 mile 3 day run across England. These were so good I used them on every day and didn't bother with the others ( and yes I did hum at the end of it!). Superb, really seem to aid muscle compaction, protect the muscle groups and aid recovery. Recommended.

Science in Sport Go Energy Lemon Drink Powder 1600g
Science in Sport Go Energy Lemon Drink Powder 1600g
Price: 17.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a little too sweet., 5 Dec 2013
Used this during a 3 day 90 mile run across England. Does the job but very sweet and after drinking it from a bladder for three days it was enough!

Long Life Lamp Company GU10 5 Watt Super Bright LED with New Chip Technology, Warm White 50w replacements
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product reasonable price, 5 Dec 2013
replaced 4 x 50W halogens in a loft room. Brighter than expected and perhaps a shade too white for a bedroom. Nevertheless delighted and would buy more if I could ( sadly the rest of my spots are MR 16 connections which is a whole other ball game...). Since this purchase I have bought other types and from other suppliers and sent most of them back. Recommended

UK Gear PT-1000 NC Mens Road & Trail Running Shoe - Grey-Chili Pepper-White-Black-Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars Great trail shoes but..., 12 Sep 2013
I've had these for about eight months now. Positives are generally great to run in on any terrain, sure-footed and four wheel drive like. Reasonable weight, non-odourous, breath well and not unattractive. they also feel pretty indestructible. Check out YouTube for the guy that has run 1000 miles in a pair.

One big neg for me - not at all waterproof. not even a little bit. go through a reasonably large puddle - you'll know about it. For the price they definitely need to have some sort of GoreTex type protection.

Good but a work-in-progress. They could be great - at some point.

Winning The Benevolent Cup and Reaching First Base: The adventures of a young Nick Allen in sixties St Albans: 1 (The adventures of Nick Allen)
by Allen Nicklin
Price: 5.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch St Albans Nostalgia!, 9 May 2013
I'll be honest and say that the first few pages are a little hard-going - however a friend did warn me about this and advised me to persevere - and I'm sure glad that I did!
As someone who has grown up in the area and, save for a few years in London, pretty much been around the place for most of my life it is a real joy to find a book like this that really brings back the feel of what life was like growing up in St Albans in the 60's and 70's. I would describe the writing as down-to-earth but that in itself is a breath of fresh air; none of your stylised/cut-and-paste lego-building-blocks type book that we seem to be awash with right now.

My advice - give it a go, especially if you have an association with the St Albans area, either past or present. As you can see I'm not giving any of the storylines away but I guess you can sum it up as a kind of Enid Blyton Famous three with some slightly racier bits.

Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era (Oxford History of the United States)
Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era (Oxford History of the United States)
Price: 5.45

3.0 out of 5 stars so far..., 9 Feb 2013
Well so far I am 300 + pages in and thought I would post my views to date.

1. This might seem pretty obvious but it is written in a way I would describe as "American", i.e. why use a few words where many more will do.

2. It is full of what I term "Statistics" - far too many in fact. It almost as if the author is listing them as if to demonstrate how much research he has undertaken. This is of course admirable, however does not help the read.

3. I thought this was a book about the American Civil war. so by 300+ pages I'd imagined I'd be right in the thick of battle. Err... no. Actually just starting the fisticuffs. A little too heavy on the causes, and too angled on the political causes at that.

On balance I will rest my utlimate verdict until the finish. I am hoping the next 600 pages will change my mind.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2013 11:53 AM BST