Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
OMOTON Kindle Paperwhite Case Cover -- The Thinnest and Lightest PU Leather Smart Cover for All-New Kindle Paperwhite (Fits All versions: 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 All-new 300 PPI Versions), Navy Blue
Offered by OMOTON UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality case, reasonable price, 12 May 2016
In the interests of full disclosure, first let me tell you that I paid full price for this product, and I am not in any way receiving any reward for writing this review!

The product fits my Kindle Paperwhite very well, having been custom-designed for it. Mostly, the Kindle recognises when the case is opened; there has only been one occasion out of 50 or so for which this has not happened. This avoids having to press the button on the bottom of the Kindle before you swipe the screen to return to the book you last had open when you last used it.

It feels nice to the touch and it seems robust. It would certainly protect the screen if the Kindle was put in a bag along with some other stuff, which is what I mainly wanted it for.

An independent review site listed this as one of the best cases you can get for the Kindle. It isn't the cheapest by any means; to a certain extent, I believe you get what you pay for with items like this. Having said that, it's also quite a bit cheaper than some. I think it occupies the "sweet spot" that gives you quality for a reasonable price.

UNHO AV/DVD/PS3 Mount Racks With Shelves Tempered Glass Stand for DVD/Blu-Ray Players/Games Consoles/Satellite TV Box/Cable Box/Freeview Box/Tivo Box/Speaker
Offered by B-Fashion

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for a projector, 22 April 2016
The unit is easy enough to fit; the included fixings are suitable for plasterboard drylining. The screws are a bit tight going in.

As other reviews have indicated, the shelves can rotate laterally slightly when knocked. This could be solved by packing the bit that attaches to the wall. It is unfortunate that this is necessary; if the unit was designed slightly differently, it wouldn't be an issue. The problem is caused by the wall plug being proud of the wall when knocked in. It won't be an issue if you're screwing directly into studs.

The wire guides are virtually useless. They keep coming out of the holes in the surrounding trim.

It is easy to get the bit that attaches to the wall level; the bottom hole is a slot, so you can rotate the device until it is vertically level and then tighten the lower screw.

I am using it to hold a projector on the upper shelf and a load of remotes on the lower shelf. It's good enough for that purpose when packed so that the shelves do not move, or if the shelves are not knocked. If they are, the vibrations die out fairly quickly, so it isn't really a problem as such. One of the reasons I went for this design is that the shelf height is adjustable which I needed to get the projector at the right height so that I didn't have any digital keystone correction required; that is, it's in the optimum position for best possible picture quality.

One reviewer was worried about the screws potentially coming out because of the rotation of the shelves. I don't think that's a concern; in my opinion the screws are unlikely to work their way loose.

It's a shame that the design doesn't have a way to hide the wires as many do, but that isn't a big problem for me; I will put something else in place to do that.

On the whole, I'm happy with the purchase despite its shortcomings.

VonHaus 78-Inch Self Locking Manual Projector Screen - White
VonHaus 78-Inch Self Locking Manual Projector Screen - White
Offered by DOMU UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, cheap screen. I mounted it on my ceiling..., 28 Mar. 2016
Cheap and does the job. Note that I've only had it for a few days at the time of writing so I can't comment about its longevity.

I mounted this to my ceiling. You're probably asking, how? The fixings are at either end of the screen and are not adjustable, and unless you're very lucky and your joists are in the right place, you won't be able to fix this screen to your intended position; you can't just fix it to ceiling plasterboard because it's too heavy. The answer I came up with was to pick up a nice-looking (second fix) piece of 44x94x2400 mm redwood PSE pine to fix to the ceiling joists and then fix it to that. I chamfered the edges that were not attached to the ceiling with a router to make it look better, although this is not essential. Then I mounted the screen to the wood. You could get away with a little less depth on the wood (the 94 mm could be reduced) but I wouldn't go any lower on the height because you can only use two screws to fix the screen to a ceiling and you need to use screws of a decent depth for security. You could trim the wood to size but I left it at 2400 mm so that if I need to change the screen in future, I don't need to buy and fit another piece of wood. To locate my joists, I used some small magnets to find the screws that hold the plasterboard to the joists; something else that can be researched on Youtube.

I did have an issue with closing the screen at first, but that comes down to technique. I did some research, and there is a Youtube video that explains the knack of how to do it. You basically need to apply a "flick of the wrist" when you want the screen to retract, and when you do that, it retracts reliably. I felt that the instruction sheet could have explained this.

The screen is of course not completely flat. It's good enough for my purposes. Most of the curl is at the edges which of course are black, and hence do not reflect much of the light that impacts upon them. The curvature of the screen goes completely unnoticed when watching typical video material.

There was a slight chemical odour when opening the screen for the first time, but it is not strong, and it already seems to be passing. The instructions state that it will dissipate within 48 hours if left open.

The product was delivered within 48 hours from the seller, far quicker than expected!

Panasonic ES-ST25 3-Blade Electric Shaver Wet/Dry for Men
Panasonic ES-ST25 3-Blade Electric Shaver Wet/Dry for Men
Offered by The Tech Savvy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent close shave and good for long growth, 26 Mar. 2016
I do not always shave every day; sometimes I leave it for a few days, and there are then long hairs for the shaver to trim. This shaver does better than any other shaver I have had for getting rid of a few days' growth quickly. Occasionally I can tell it's going into its faster power mode to get rid of a stronger clump of hair.

It also gives a very close shave; the closest I am likely to have because I do not get on with razor and cream. (My skin comes out in a rash if I use those.)

It's very easy to clean; I just open the head and run the blades and the head under the tap for a short time. You can't do that with all shavers!

I've tried rotary shavers and they haven't been as good as this; also this is as good as any other foil shaver I have tried. I'm very satisfied.

CSL - 12.5m Ultra HD 4k HDMI cable (High Speed) with Ethernet | ARC and CEC | multiple shielding (triple shielding) | Deep Color | fully HDCP compliant / HD Ready / 3D TV / 1080p - 2160p 30 Hz / 4K / Audio Return Channel
Offered by CSL-Computer

5.0 out of 5 stars No need to pay more; this does the job, 26 Mar. 2016
Excellent price and it works fine for connection from my PS4 to my projector!

Philips DIY Hair Clipper QC5570/13 with 180 Degree Rotation for Easy Reach
Philips DIY Hair Clipper QC5570/13 with 180 Degree Rotation for Easy Reach

3.0 out of 5 stars It sort of does the job..., 18 Feb. 2016
Many people have outlined why the product is good. There are some things that make it not so good, however.

The first is that the cutting length is adjusted by twisting a large knob on the device. That's fine as far as it goes, but often I have started cutting my hair at 5mm or 7mm length only to find at the "end" of the cut that the cutting length has shifted to 3mm. I am not pressing particularly hard with it.

The second gripe is that the device uses a non-standard charging plug. If something goes wrong with your charger, an aftermarket charger would be difficult to find. This happened to me with an earlier version of this.

The fact that you can rotate the cutting head is a gimmick. I have cut my own hair with standard trimmers many times before owning this one. I rarely even bother to rotate the cutting head.

I won't say it's a bad product; far from it; but I think I would save some money and go for a cheaper trimmer in the future, which would likely work just as well. (In fact, have had cheaper trimmers in the past and they have worked just as well. This seemed like it would be better, but not really.)

10 x 501 Amber (WY5W) 12v 5W W2,1x9,5D
10 x 501 Amber (WY5W) 12v 5W W2,1x9,5D
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - does the job, 7 Feb. 2016
Last year my Corolla had an advisory for its side repeaters that they were too pale in colour. I bought these near this year's MOT and there was no such advisory. I have no idea what I'm going to do with the other 8 yet but I'm sure that was a good saving compared to getting these from a bricks and mortar retailer!

Plantronics GameCom 788 USB PC/Gaming Headset
Plantronics GameCom 788 USB PC/Gaming Headset

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice sound, comfortable, and good microphone (for a headset), 1 Dec. 2015
I compared the sound output of these to that of a pair of Sony MDR-V6 studio monitors that I have which are my favourite pair of headphones (but of course they are not a headset; they do not have a microphone).

I couldn't honestly tell much difference between them.

With respect to the voice recording capabilities, I did some research. It's quite easy with Youtube. I found that people using the microphone sounded natural; that's not the case with many other headsets at all. It seems that the only other cans that come with a decent quality mic are the Sennheiser range such as the Game Zero, but they cost a lot more than these. I confirmed that my pair record my voice well with Audacity; there seems to be a bit of background noise but that can be easily gated; you have about 40dB of headroom for your voice. I also have a Blue Yeti; of course, I sound better through that, but that's an expensive microphone that requires a lot of desk space and also picks up more room noise!

I have previously had a different headset from Plantronics that were not "gaming". They had lower quality sound; probably about the same quality microphone; but they were the type that rest on my ears rather than over. I couldn't wear them for longer than an hour or so. These are fully circumaural and I have no problem wearing these for an extended period.

I'm not convinced by the 7.1 virtual dolby capability at all, but I didn't buy the headphones for that.

If you want a pair, check the price of the version that includes the game codes whether you want the game downloads or not. At the time of writing, it's cheaper to buy these cans with the games than without!

tado Smart Thermostat
tado Smart Thermostat

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems like a good product which should save me money, 6 Sept. 2015
There are two versions of this product on Amazon at the time of writing. I went for this one because it was slightly cheaper than the other version. What I got was a box with German on the front of it, but inside, the manual was multilingual, and I did not have to translate any German instructions at all.

For my specific system, I decided to install the system myself. I had a wired thermostat in the hall operating from mains voltage from a programmer in the kitchen. I made the decision that I do not need to control the hot water, just the space heating, so I did not go for the expansion unit. As a result, I simply had to isolate the boiler; remove the existing thermostat from the hall; and wire in the new thermostat. There were only three wires involved.

Of course, I also had to attach the bridge unit to my router.

None of this caused any problem; the only slight problem was that I wanted to install the system on Saturday but my bespoke instructions for my set-up were not available at the time. I had an email from Tado at around 10:00 on Monday with the instructions. I activated the system when I got home from work on that day.

So far, the thermostat seems to work well as long as the internet connection stays up. On one day, the internet connection had gone down at around 04:00. When I got up, which was after the time at which the system should have switched to day mode, it had not done so. In these situations, it is possible to control the temperature manually, so you essentially get a fall-back to a normal thermostat operating mode.

The system seems pretty good at noticing when my wife and I are no longer at home and adjusting to away mode on those times.

I believe the product will save me money. I have a small house (2 up 2 down) with good insulation (1999 build) so I'm expecting the system to take about three or four years to pay for itself, but where can you get an investment that pays 25% gross? It just makes sense to go for a product like this. With a larger house, the payback period would be shorter, and it would also be shorter if your insulation is not good.

The system seems very good at achieving the target temperature and shutting the boiler down at the right time.

I would give the product 9/10 stars if I could; of course, I can't. I wouldn't say it's worth five stars but it's worth a solid four stars.

AMGGLOBAL® Dual USB Mains Charger for Apple and Samsung Devices - 2000mAh Dual / 2 Port Cable Hub for Power Charging Devices & Accessories On UK 3 Pin Plug Mains Adapter for Samsung Galaxy / Tab / HTC / Nexus / Xperia / Hudl Apple iPhone 4 / 4s / 5 / 5c / 5s / 6 / 6 Plus /6s / 6s Plus - iPad 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / Air / Mini - Mobile Phone / iPod / MP3 & 4 Player
Offered by AMG Global

5.0 out of 5 stars Powers a Raspberry PI B+, 21 Mar. 2015
I am using this to power a Raspberry PI model B+ with an old, power-hungry WiFi USB adaptor plugged directly into it. I am plugged into the Samsung port.

Measuring the voltage at the PCB input I have found 5.07V. This is well within the USB voltage tolerance of 5.00 +/- 0.25V.

So, it worked for me!