ARRAY(0xaabab48c)

RosaL

The Voyage of the Beagle
The Voyage of the Beagle

5.0 out of 5 stars In the beginning..., 4 Nov 2012
This book is the story of the long journey made by Darwin that gives him the data for the Origin of Species. One of the joys of this book is that Darwin is a wonderful writer. It is amazing to think that he went on the trip as a gentleman companion for the captain who was a biblical/literal christian and who wanted someone to talk to who was of the same social class/education. I would fully recommend this book as it is the precursor to one of the greatest books of all time.

The Bones Of Odin (Matt Drake 1)
The Bones Of Odin (Matt Drake 1)
Price: 0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars No!, 3 Oct 2012
I did so try to like this, but some of the characters were so cliched I wanted to scream. It may be my age but I just cannot get used to 'product placement' in novels, it grates. I felt the author was trying to be Matthew Reilly (all of whose books I have read and enjoyed) but to me it did just not work. Sorry!

Highlander London 2012 Emblem Logo Waist Bag Accessories - Blue
Highlander London 2012 Emblem Logo Waist Bag Accessories - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, one that fits!, 3 Oct 2012
I am so pleased I purchased this. It fits far more confortably than any I have bought before, has more room and looks better as well.

Inside Job [DVD] [2011]
Inside Job [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Matt Damon
Price: 7.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended Viewing!, 3 Oct 2012
This review is from: Inside Job [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Only caught the second half of this when it was shown on TV recently, so purchased this so I could watch the whole thing. If you want an explanation of what has beset the world these last four years - this is an eye-opener. It tells how the investment banks decided they did not have enough money and wanted to make more on the backs of those who could only dream of the salaries the bankers were already earning. Products were devised that completely baffled those in charge and yet, because of the importance of the banks to the world they were bailed out by the taxpayer who would have to win a lottery rollover to be near a banker's salary/bonus. One character who pops up in the documentary assisting the banks is now the chief financial advisor to Mitt Romney!! You couldn't make it up...

A Message from the Falklands
A Message from the Falklands
by David Tinker

4.0 out of 5 stars A Memory, 28 Jun 2012
I first read this book when it was originally published and then loaned it to a 'friend' who neglected to give it back - I no longer lend books!! It is a compilation of letters and poems of Lt David Tinker RN put together by his father following his son's death during the Falklands' War. It was a book that moved me deeply and I feel compares well with those writings we know from World War I. It is a loving tribute to a son taken from his family at the appallingly early age of 25. I never thought I would be able to replace my copy but it now sits again on my bookshelves.

Darwin's Armada: Four Voyagers to the Southern Oceans and Their Battle for the Theory of Evolution
by Iain McCalman
Price: 8.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Darwin's Bulldogs, 28 Jun 2012
First of all this book arrived early in pristine condition. It starts with Darwin's funeral and goes on to explain the work of Darwin and three of his pall-bearers:- Thomas Huxley, Joseph Hooker and Alfred Russell Wallace. Wallace and Darwin came to the theory of evolution at about the same time (although others had already started to go down that road); Huxley and Hooker were friends of Darwin and encouraged him to publish and defended his work subsequently. I learned so much from this book, in particular the efforts of Darwin and Huxley to get due recognition for Wallace. I cannot recommend this book about four giants of the scientific world enough.

Diaries Volume Three: Power and Responsibility (The Alastair Campbell Diaries)
Diaries Volume Three: Power and Responsibility (The Alastair Campbell Diaries)
by Alastair Campbell
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Government, 28 May 2012
The third volume of AC's diaries are as hypnotic as the previous two. I am one of those, probably rare, people who are addicted to politics and AC's diaries show that government is not easy because government (and opposition) is carried out by human beings with all their foibles. I admire AC for not shying away from putting in the diaries the strain (an understatement) the job puts on him and his family. The diary ends on September 11, 2001 - the day the world changed. I found myself logging on to Amazon to find out when the last volume was to be published - January 2013 - in the meantime, I am now reading Chris Mullin's diaries!!

Silent Mercy (Alexandra Cooper)
Silent Mercy (Alexandra Cooper)
by Linda Fairstein
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent novel, 8 Jan 2012
The latest by Linda Fairstein exceeded her usual high standard. In this book she chose to write about a very current topic and I felt she left her readers in no doubt as to where she stood on this argument. I have read every one of her Alexandra Cooper novels but this was probably, in my mind, the best.