Profile for GraysLad > Reviews

The Man in the Picture: A Ghost Story
The Man in the Picture: A Ghost Story
by Robert Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Good . . . But, 31 Oct 2012
This is a very well written piece. Susan Hill creates a good atmosphere - two men sitting by the fire as the hail patters against the windows - perhaps a little obvious but in keeping with the story.
The Venice scenes are very good - eerie and atmospheric.
BUT.
The appearance of the fiance at the end was a bit clumsy - and I thought I was reading a Victorian ghost story and was thrown by the sudden mention of a mobile phone.
My overall impression was that the plot was a little amateurish and needed working on - but there was no denying the quality of the writing.

Skulk
Skulk

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreary !, 14 April 2012
This review is from: Skulk (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Jim Moray for a while - I'm supposed to be going to see him in a few weeks - and so I was looking forward to his new cd.
What a let down !
The opening track is completely uninspiring - the last track barely listenable.
His cover of "Big Love" is good. "Horkstow Grange" sort-of works - but forget the rest.

It's been returned for a refund.

Biggest let down of 2012 !

Novella
Novella

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 3 Oct 2011
This review is from: Novella (Audio CD)
I love Annie Haslam's voice - "Northern Lights" is one of my favourite songs -but - and I'm not being nasty - they are old works and they sound dated. And heavy. And I sent it back and got my money back. Sorry.

Mary Ann in Autumn (Tales of the City)
Mary Ann in Autumn (Tales of the City)
by Armistead Maupin

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on form, 3 Oct 2011
The "Tales of the City" are one of those series of books which seem to follow you through life - sounds a bit corney but it's true. I was introduced to them way over twenty years ago by a friend at Uni and for me as a young gay man at the time they reached out to me. I've read them all about three times over the years - they hold lots of memories.
When "Michael Tolliver Lives" was published I was massively disappointed - none of it worked and so I approached the prospect of yet another "Tales" novel with trepidation. I needn't have worried. This is a return to form.
I loved all of it. I don't want to give anything away to anyone who hasn't read it but the link with the very first novel is very clever and slightly eerie.
I actually guessed some of it but even so I would recommend this novel without reservation. One of my Books of 2011.