Profile for S. GODFREY > Reviews

Content by S. GODFREY

S. GODFREY "Stuart" (Risca, South Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
An Accidental Musician: The Autobiography of Judy Dyble
An Accidental Musician: The Autobiography of Judy Dyble
by Dave Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and very enjoyable.., 9 Jun. 2016
Judy Dyble writes in simple, direct terms of her lifelong involvement in some of the most influential music to grace the folk/rock/pop/prog/poetry world...reading the book feels like chatting with an old and trusted friend. She is unpretentious, honest and very endearing...I found it fascinating and heartwarming, definitely one of the best music related autobiographies I have read.

Vintage V400 12-String Acoustic Guitar
Vintage V400 12-String Acoustic Guitar
Offered by Rimmers Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Quality for the Price, 11 Jan. 2014
My first twelve-string and it certainly has lived up to all my expectations - as easy to play as my old six-string, with a fast and easy action and best of all, a gorgeous resonant tone which makes this guitar a joy to play. It feels like a quality instrument - it even smells like one - at this price it is quite amazing! I would recommend this guitar to anyone thinking of trying out a twelve-string, I love it.

Fender HN120243 Strings for Guitar
Fender HN120243 Strings for Guitar

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine Quality Strings - Good Value, 14 Sept. 2013
For me, these are simply the best acoustic guitar strings I have tried. They sound true and bright from the moment they are fitted, they have lovely tone and they are not prone to breaking. I'm sticking with these.

Into The Blue [VHS] [1997]
Into The Blue [VHS] [1997]
VHS

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, terrible adaptation of a fine book, 2 Sept. 2013
Oh dear....John Thaw looked as if he hated being in this film as much as I disliked watching it..I had enjoyed the book but this film adaptation bore scant resemblance to Robert Goddard's finely paced novel. The plot was scrambled into a shambles and not only Thaw but the entire cast seemed to wish they were somewhere else - and who can blame them? Stick with the book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2014 4:31 PM GMT

Live At The Fillmore 1968
Live At The Fillmore 1968

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pure Undiluted Delight....., 19 Jun. 2013
At last....Robin Williamson and Mike Heron, just the two brilliantly gifted young musicians who comprised the Incredible String Band way back in 1968, and who remained the beating heart of that most unique band throughout its various line-up changes...caught during possibly their finest of many fine live performances. Having grown out of the Scottish folk scene, through Swinging London to become the darlings of the hippy underground,to America they went and carried (almost) all before them...nobody had EVER heard anything like this incredible music before! The fearless duo weave their way with magical ease through some astonishing pieces here, proving that such mysterious concoctions as "A Very Cellular Song" were not simply studio creations but could be brought literally to life in concert. Superbly played versions of highlights from "5,000 Spirits", "The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter" and even "Wee Tam & The Big Huge" spring out from the speakers in pristine clarity thanks to this superb re-master....such a joy!

Gospel Figures in Art (Guide to Imagery)
Gospel Figures in Art (Guide to Imagery)
by Stefano Zuffi

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Very Informative, 9 April 2013
This book is a real delight..for a paperback it is extremely robust, well finished and pleasing to the touch. The vast number of illustrations are beautifully reproduced, with key points about Biblical imagery unobtrusively added around the illustrations. A very useful reference source for students of Western art and/or Christianity, and a simple delight to look at and enjoy.

EELO COLOUR EREADER - 4GB EBOOK READER - ADOBE DRM - BLACK
EELO COLOUR EREADER - 4GB EBOOK READER - ADOBE DRM - BLACK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value e-reader, 27 Feb. 2013
I'm very pleased with this e-reader; not being in the least bit technical all I wanted was something easy to use: this little machine is very straightforward, the controls are pretty obvious even to me and I was able to download epub books straight away. I still love my "real" books but this is a very convenient way to store books and enjoy reading - the machine is very light and relatively compact. Playing music and videos (again, simple to download) is a very enjoyable bonus. Excellent gadget and good service from the supplier.

Swaddling Songs
Swaddling Songs

5.0 out of 5 stars One "lost classic" which deserves its reputation, 18 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Swaddling Songs (Audio CD)
Like most people, I'm wary when someone says "Listen to this, you'll love it", but I am grateful to the friend who, knowing my fondness for Incredible String Band/Fairport/Steeleye etc loaned me a copy of "Swaddling Songs". After the first track I had to collect my eyebrows from the ceiling and my jaw from the floor. Forgive the hyperbole, suffice to say before the second track had finished I was online placing an order for my own copy of this terrific album. Its a stunner. It seems amazing to me that an album of such evident quality was largely ignored when it came out in 1972, especially as the aforementioned folk-rock groups were doing such big business back then. The music is tight, with Rush-like precision and drama in many of the instrumental passages. Baroque, folk, mystical and just plain wierd flourishes abound (all of which is fine by me), but the real eye-opener is the quality of the vocals. These two girls sing with individual brilliance and frequently breathtaking harmonies. Among the more gentle, reflective tracks "Reverend Sisters" and "Silver Song" are standouts, while "Dan the Wing", "Buy or Beware" and especially "Boulders on my Grave" are wild uptempo pieces delivered with great flair. The wole album is hugely entertaining, and yes, I do recommend it to anyone with an interest in classic folk-rock.

Night Lilies
Night Lilies
Offered by positivenoise

4.0 out of 5 stars Never Give a Sword to a Man who Can't Dance....., 18 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Night Lilies (Audio CD)
I don't know if Jackie Leven can dance or not, but certainly the man can sing, and he's a fine songsmith too. He is a quality contemporary singer-songwriter with strong Celtic roots which frequently colour his imagery and the texture of his songs. Earlier albums have won critical acclaim but have maybe been just too idiosyncratic for general public consumption. With "Night Lillies" he has retained his artistic integrity while producing a collection of highly accessible, even radio-friendly songs with memorable hooks and a big, beefy sound to back up his powerful singing. He happens to be a superb and inventive guitarist too. My initial favourites were the title track, "Empty in Soho Square", "Alvis Green" and "Universal Blue" (all irresistible even on first hearing) but the whole album is great. If all was fair in this world, this album would win Jackie Leven universal appreciation and vast riches. Check this one out, enjoy it, and then explore the somewhat darker "Fairytales for Hard Men".

Time (The Revelator)
Time (The Revelator)
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars The Heart & Soul of Gillian Welch, 9 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Time (The Revelator) (Audio CD)
A friend introduced me to Gillian's music a few weeks ago when he loaned me a copy of "Hell Among the Yearlings". I've been slowly falling in love with her work ever since and Time (The Revelator) is the one that clinches it for me - five stars all the way! This has all the courage, intensity and true grit of the first two CDs with little of the naivety. It's a looser, more relaxed feel (almost drowsy at times) but also a fully realised musical vision which works as a whole piece rather than a collection of songs, although just about every song would be a standout on any singer-songwiter collection. Today, my personal favourite is "Elvis Presley Blues", simply the finest and most moving song about the young Elvis I have ever heard. "Just a country boy, he combed his hair, put on a shirt that his mother made, and he went on the air..." Tomorrow, who knows - perhaps the openly sentimental "Dear Someone" or the defiant "My First Lover". The guitar playing and vocal harmonies are immaculate throughout the album. "I Want to Sing That Rock and Roll" is a tantalising glimpse of Gillian and David live, and the closing epic "I Dream a Highway" is just breathtaking. A classic.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3