Profile for noaidessakka > Reviews

Crock-Pot 1.8L Saute Rice Cooker Black
Crock-Pot 1.8L Saute Rice Cooker Black
Offered by Electrical Emporium

2.0 out of 5 stars Instructions are wrong, otherwise great, 25 Feb. 2015
2 stars for the instructions that are just plain wrong, 4 stars for the item once you've sorted that out. One star deducted because of the massive steam vent, could easily be smaller.
This was bought to replace our previous rice cooker which lasted 15 years and was used daily. First time I used the new one I followed the instructions and the water evaporated and the rice stuck to the bottom and wasn't cooked. Luckily I switched it off before it burnt. The instructions require you to use less water than you'd use if you were cooking rice in a pan with a heavy lid and no steam vent. Try it with double the amount of water to rice (ie 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water) and you'll be OK.

Ethel Traditional Rendezvous Glove Medium
Ethel Traditional Rendezvous Glove Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars Not good for heavy duty gardening, 8 May 2014
4 stars because they don't make my hands sweat unlike the latex ones, but are warm in the winter and are reasonably thorn proof (don't expect to be able to pick up berberis and roses with them) while also being thin enough for handling tiny plants.

As a professional gardener I didn't really expect these to last long, for those who only garden occasionally/at weekends they're probably perfect, and of course they look pretty too which seems to be important. I wore them 5 days a week for 3 months and the right hand one has gone in to holes.

RHS Latin for Gardeners: Over 3,000 Plant Names Explained and Explored
RHS Latin for Gardeners: Over 3,000 Plant Names Explained and Explored
by The Royal Horticultural Society

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but could be better, 22 Oct. 2012
This is a nice looking book, perhaps more of a coffee-table type book, but also quite informative.

IMO a better book both for range of plants given and descriptions is Allen Coombes' A-Z of Plant Names (make sure you get the 2012 edition with up to date name changes),
A to Z of Plant Names, The
which however doesn't have the pretty pictures that the RHS book has. It's also smaller and more portable, should you wish to carry it round with you for whatever reason.

Garland Super7 Electric Heated Windowsill Propagator G51
Garland Super7 Electric Heated Windowsill Propagator G51
Offered by Garden Selections

3.0 out of 5 stars Garland Super 7 propagator, 5 Feb. 2012
I got this after having purchased a small Sankey 38 cm Premier Growarm 100 propagator, because it's possible to buy additional trays to fit so you can have several lots of seedlings at once. Both propagators are simple unregulated ones, without a thermostat, and only add about 8 degrees to room temperature rather than keeping the soil temperatures constant. This means that if room temperature fluctuates so does the temperature in the propagator.

The Super 7 fits nicely on a windowsill, each seed tray comes with its own lid with an adjustable vent in the top. All in all it looks very nice.

However the Super 7 is not as good as the Sankey because the lids only fit over the individual trays, rather than over the base tray with the heating element in it which means that a large proportion of the heat is escaping. There's a noticeable difference in soil temperature between the Sankey and the Super 7. The Sankey germinates seeds in a week on an unheated windowsill in February, it will be interesting to see if the Super 7 can do the same thing.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2016 10:27 AM GMT

SkyWatcher Explorer-130/900 EQ2 Telescope
SkyWatcher Explorer-130/900 EQ2 Telescope
Offered by Picsio

5.0 out of 5 stars First telescope, 19 Jan. 2012
Firstly this is the first telescope I have ever used.

I had no problems setting it up from the instructions, apart from the fact that the heads of some of the screws were too big for the tools provided.

It didn't need collimating, but a collimator is a good thing to purchase because once it goes out of collimation, which is when the mirrors go out of alignment you can't use it until they are realigned.

The red dot finder is very useful, and aligned without any trouble. You don't need to look down the eyepiece to align the scope, as you should be looking through the red dot finder and using the cables. Once the red dot finder is on the object you're looking at, then you look down the eyepiece. If you then can't see the object through the eyepiece you need to align the red dot finder first.

Polar aligning is easy and definitely worth doing, if you alter the way the telescope sits on the mount as another reviewer claims to have done because he couldn't use the cables when looking down the eyepiece, you won't be able to just point the telescope at things you can't see visually based on the RA and DEC dials and then put on a higher powered eyepiece to see them (This will make sense when you see the mount)

It's lightweight and when taken to pieces travels easily in a car and can be set up again quickly - leave the cables on the mount and don't forget to pack your counterweight. When I did astronomy a few years ago I wanted (and still do) a Meade LX90, they don't travel so easily and are a lot heavier.

I was given my telescope as a present, it didn't come from Amazon and it didn't come with the Barlow. I've subsequently purchased a Celestron Barlow which is meant to be better quality than the one supplied. The two eyepieces (x10 and x25) are good enough to show you Jupiter and its moons as a bright dot and 3 smaller ones. You won't see any more detail on planets without the Barlow, but you can see the craters on the Moon.

All in all I am very pleased with it, definitely value for money at the price.

York Vinyl Fitbell Kit in a Case - 10 kg
York Vinyl Fitbell Kit in a Case - 10 kg

4.0 out of 5 stars Good weights, did their job, 4 Jan. 2012
I got these for rehabilitation purposes because I have cerebral palsy. They come in a nice box for easy storage, unlike some other reviewers I had no problems with a lasting smell from the vinyl - the box smells when you first open it, but by the following day the smell had gone. I still use them for yoga, but they did their job quicker than expected, I no longer need them and am now looking to purchase some heavier weights.

4 stars because unless you get them perfectly lined up in the box the lid doesn't shut properly.

Altec Lansing IMT320 InMotion Compact Portable Universal Dock for iPod / iPhone 3G 3GS 4

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Nano 6Gen, 31 Dec. 2011
Bought for my daughter to use with her iPod Nano 6Gen. It works fine, with both her Nano 6 and my iPod Touch, charges the Nano too when it's plugged into the mains (you may find reviews on the web saying this dock doesn't charge the Nano 6, but it's not the case) and the sound quality is great, but and it is a big but....

the dock comes with two interchangeable slip in plugs, a 2 pin European one and a 3 pin UK one. The UK one is badly made so that the top pin is slightly the wrong shape and so the plug won't fit into any wall socket in the house, and only into one of our various extension lead sockets. Luckily we have this socket otherwise the dock would be going back. I guess seeing that nobody else has mentioned this problem we're just unlucky so I've given the product 4 stars because it's otherwise ideal.

The dock was intended to be used in my daughter's bedroom plugged into the mains but the fact it can be used with batteries and travels easily is an added bonus. We haven't tried it with batteries yet so can't comment on battery life.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2012 4:05 PM BST

Karrimor Women's Mount Mid L Weathertite Hiking Shoe
Karrimor Women's Mount Mid L Weathertite Hiking Shoe

3.0 out of 5 stars Karrimor boots, 7 Jan. 2011
I ordered a pair of these for my daughter. Based on the reviews on Amazon we got a size smaller than she usually wears, which turned out to be too small for her. Because of the great deal I'm getting her another pair in her usual size, and keeping the smaller ones myself.

The fit isn't perfect, I have to say if I came across these at full price in a shop I wouldn't buy them. They're just enough too small for me to know that a larger size would be too big, and they're too wide. I wear walking boots as my daily footwear which means they last 6 months to a year and have never come across this problem before.

Soup for Every Day: 365 of Our Favourite Recipes (New Covent Garden Soup Company)
by New Covent Garden Soup Company

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, shame about the book production, 29 Dec. 2010
I got this book for Xmas and so far we've made 4 soups from it. Every single one was fantastic.

The book gets only 4 stars because the production of the book is dreadful
- the indexing is hopeless, although possibly all NCGFC recipe books are the same.
For example, Creamy Baked Garlic and Onion Soup, will be found under C for creamy, not G for garlic, or O for onion (or B for baked for that matter). Jerusalem artichokes are under J for Jerusalem, and not A for artichoke. It's fine once you know this, but doesn't make finding recipes that easy.
- one of the turkey soups doesn't list turkey in the ingredients, but tells you to add the turkey near the end.
- and, a minor quibble compared with the two above, but for a book which is claiming to give you seasonal recipes, it seems peculiar to list fresh blackberries as an ingredient for a December soup.

I was hoping it might have included the recipe for their Thai Chicken, but it doesn't. That's not a bad thing, but don't expect to be able to make every soup that NCGFC sell.

5 stars for the recipes, 3 stars for the production of the book.

Dry Stone Walling: A Practical Handbook
Dry Stone Walling: A Practical Handbook
by Alan Brooks
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 26 Nov. 2010
A great book, plenty of detail on every aspect of building drystone walls, ranging from simple rebuilding a section of collapsed wall to building more complicated structures like pillars, arches and domes and with clear diagrams too.

I'm not a pro waller and I'd disagree with the previous reviewer who says it's too technical for a layperson. There may be bits you don't need, but even if you're only building a small wall in your garden, presumably you want the foundations to be good, and the wall to stay up.

Page: 1 | 2