Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "www.booksaboutdisney.com"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Village Idiots Ebay Club: Daft People Buy Daft Things (A Humorous Swipe at Life Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars The best bit is the cover, 15 Mar. 2014
Sorry, but this book sums up all the bad things about self-publishing. It's billed as 'laugh out loud' but for me it was painfully un-funny. I made it to the very end without a single smile, but that didn't take long because it's a very short book. One of the worst fashions of self-publishing is putting excerpts from your other work to pad the book out. This in itself is annoying, but when it takes up almost half the book as it does here, it's terrible.

There's no story - just a series of vignettes about the people you see on the cover. The spelling, grammar and formatting or very poor too.

I'm sorry - I'm sure Mr Bray had a lot of laughs while writing this book but sadly none of them transfer to the reader.

The Old Man and the Sea
The Old Man and the Sea

1.0 out of 5 stars Product Description spoils entire book!, 29 April 2013
I was going to purchase this for my Kindle but then I read the Amazon product description. It describes what happens throughout the novel and explains the conclusion in detail, even quoting the very last line of the book.

There's no point in buying it now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2015 11:53 AM GMT

Disney Epic Mickey 2 - The Power of Two (Wii)
Disney Epic Mickey 2 - The Power of Two (Wii)
Offered by Game Trade Online

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the original, 28 Nov. 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
My family loved the original Epic Mickey on the Wii. It was one of those rare games that was pitched perfectly as family fun. Even though it was only single player we had hours of entertainment shouting at the screen ('paint that!', 'watch out for that bad guy') as one of us controlled Mickey Mouse and the others offered encouragement. The level of difficulty was right too, aimed at challenging casual gamers without being so simple as to be boring.

This new sequel follows much of the original's ideas but adds a second player - and you really do need a second player, the A.I. controlled single player assistant is rubbish. Having two players is fine but the game suffers from being much more difficult than it's predecessor. Both players have to be adept at the actions required so, "mum, give me a hand with this one" won't cut it. That would be quite acceptable if it were being played by a couple of fourteen year old boys, but are they really the ones who a game featuring Mickey Mouse is aimed at? Young children and non-gamer adults will give up in frustration.

We had weeks of fun with the original Epic Mickey. Epic Mickey 2 is back in its box after just a couple of nights.

Disneywar: The Battle for the Magic Kingdom
Disneywar: The Battle for the Magic Kingdom
by James B. Stewart

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating look into a very un-typical boardroom, 23 Oct. 2012
There's little fun to be found in this book. To start with it's pretty hefty, with my hardback version coming in at almost six hundred pages. It's also quite serious, being a business study of one of the darkest periods in Disney's corporate history.

If the above hasn't put you off and you can get hold of this volume at a reasonable price then you're in for a treat. It's a fascinating account of Roy E. Disney's attempts to oust Michael Eisner from the company's boardroom in the early years of the 21st century.

Pulitzer prize-winner Stewart had access to both camps and gives a glorious account of a company in danger of destroying itself from the inside out... and coming through the battle scarred but arguably stronger than ever. He paints a balanced picture of Eisner as micro-managing control freak who wanted to run the company as his personal empire and didn't mind who he upset on the way - but got some amazing results too. And Roy Disney comes across as a man living in giants' shadows, trying to clear up a mess that he knew he was largely responsible for creating.

It would be a great read if it were about any large company. The fact that so many of the major players - both real and fictional - are known to us makes it all the sweeter.

WILD WALKING (Going Wild)
WILD WALKING (Going Wild)

2.0 out of 5 stars Short on ideas, big on grainy photos, 2 Oct. 2012
This book is a great idea, and I really wanted to enjoy it - but sadly I can't say that I did. I should have read in the advert where it says 'print length - 65 pages'. So it's very short. That's OK though, short books can be great. Unfortunately much of this book is taken up with large photos. I'm sure that they look great on an iPad or such, but on Amazon's Kindle (the format that it was sold for here)they come out as grainy, black and white, and indistinct. As most of them don't really add much to the narrative - they're 'scene setting' pictures, not technical diagrams or the like - then they're quite unnecessary. Yet if they were removed then there really wouldn't be much book left.

There ARE some great ideas in here for things to do on family walks, but only about enough for one well-written blog. The authors state that "This is Going Wild's first e-book, following on from our successful series of books published by Frances Lincoln. We are still learning about the formatting, but wanted to get this simple version out in time for families to use over the long summer holidays".

That being the case, I'd suggest readers wait until a better version is available.

LEGO Batman 2 - Limited Lex Luthor Toy Edition (Wii)
LEGO Batman 2 - Limited Lex Luthor Toy Edition (Wii)
Offered by Trade-N-Go Gaming

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on the first one, 16 July 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
The original Lego Batman is one of our family's favourite Wii games. It was fun, there were lots of missions that you could play as either a hero or villain, and it was firmly aimed at the casual gamer.

This new version, while being much bigger in scope, is none of the above. The many missions have been replaced by just a few longer ones and you can't play in 'villain mode' any more. It's much MUCH tougher too, meaning that after we'd completed these few level we (by no means hard-core gamers) spent most of our time in free-play mode saying 'Where am I?', 'What am I supposed to be doing?' and worst of all 'Why won't he fly where I want him to???'

This is still a decent game, OK for a few plays, but it won't give us the weeks of fun that Lego Batman (1) and most of the other Wii Lego games have done.

A Discovery of Witches: (All Souls 1)
A Discovery of Witches: (All Souls 1)
by Deborah Harkness

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull Dull Dull (etc), 29 Jun. 2012
I can't remember the last time I hated a book so much. Nothing happens. Nothing. That can be acceptible if the writing and characters are strong enough to carry it but they're not. The cast are weak and the writing is very bland.

It's a huge doorstop and - the thing that really p'd me off - it doesn't really come to a satisfying end, just a 'continued in book two'.

Not for me, sorry.

Saving Rachel (Donovan Creed series Book 3)
Saving Rachel (Donovan Creed series Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange fun, 29 Jun. 2012
This is the first Donovan Creek book I've read and will probably be the last. That's not to say that it's bad - far from it. The twisted storyline has more kinks in it than something very kinky indeed and the characters are distinct individuals. It's just that it all seemed like a neat 1970's TV cop show where everything is strange and you have no idea where things are going but don't worry, dear reader, because you know that everything will turn out nice and neat before the third set of adverts.

Some love John Locke's work; some hate it. Me? I love the IDEA of them and are pleased that he's doing what he does but I just thought that there was something missing...

The 30 Minute Workweek (How To Create Wealth Book 6)
The 30 Minute Workweek (How To Create Wealth Book 6)

2.0 out of 5 stars "get rich quick".... honest, 4 Feb. 2012
This book is really short and includes lots of background on the author, sections of why you shouldn't listen to any guru offering a get rich quck scheme etc. The actual content takes up less than half the book. Also it very annoyingly switches font every few paragraphs.However these problems could be forgiven if the content was worthwhile.

Basically his way to earn big bucks in less than 30 mins a week is to sign up to a website that I'd never heard of but falls under a catagory that was described by 'Better Business Bureua' as "one of the top ten scams of 2011".

I'm sure that some people could get rich following his advice, but schemes that appear just a step away from pyramid selling are not for me.

A Partridge in a Pear Tree (short story) (Twelve Days of Winter: Crime at Christmas, Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice story, nice idea, poor product., 10 Dec. 2011
The idea of 12 short stories is a good one and if they're all as interesting and well written as this short one then all power to Macbride's elbow. Unfirtunately I'm really put off when over half of the product I've bought is a series of adverts for other books. Not good Mr Macbride. You've missed a great trick here.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3