Profile for ljdaintyho > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Great Gatsby
The Great Gatsby

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 1 July 2014
This review is from: The Great Gatsby (Kindle Edition)
I often struggle with classics. I feel they get over hyped and get dated by the time I read them 100 years after they were written (92 in this case). But I was not one little bit disappointed with this. The prose was very accessible and I got you right into the moment, how I wish I was at those parties! Despite its lofty reputation this is an easy to read book, but it conveys great passion and weaves an intricate story with great pace in a pleasingly small number of pages. Readable in a weekend. Brilliant

The Moro Cookbook
The Moro Cookbook
by Samantha Clark

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay but there is better, 1 July 2014
This review is from: The Moro Cookbook (Paperback)
A bit disappointing, if you buy just one book on middle eastern cooking makesure it is the much better 'Jerusalem'.

1089 and All That: A Journey into Mathematics
1089 and All That: A Journey into Mathematics
by D. J. Acheson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brief, Brilliant, Beautiful, 1 July 2014
A great little book. Publishers really do need to understand less is very often more. The passion for maths drips through the pages, this is in my view essential reading for someone 'thinking' about maths A-Level, if after reading this they haven't caught the bug its probably best not to do it. Full of interesting maths anecdotes, party tricks and the best introduction to calculus I have ever read with a brilliant finale on Euler's Identity (if you don't know what that is read this book to discover the most beautiful relationship in the universe).

Alex's Adventures in Numberland
Alex's Adventures in Numberland
by Alex Bellos

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not stunning, 1 July 2014
This is a good book with many interesting ideas, many have however been written about many times before and are getting a bit over played. There are a few mathematical errors and at times it waffles a bit (I can't help thinking the publisher pushed for more pages than was necessary). The chapters on probability and randomness were the highlights for me, possibly because many other pop writers avoid them. For a brief book with more pace '1089 and All That' is much more riveting and is mathematically sound . For more a more detailed and better account of the history of mathematics Simon Singh's 'Fermat Last Thereom' has yet to be surpassed.

ChiChinLighting 4W GU10 Super Bright LED Light Bulbs - Warm White - 3000k 35W Equivalent
Offered by Chichinlighting

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what they claim to be, 1 July 2014
I bought this as a repeat order for Aurora 4W GU10 Super Bright LED Light Bulbs - Warm White - 3000k 35W . These bulbs maybe okay but they are NOT a replacement for the Aurora Warm White, they are not a Warm White at all. If you are happy with with a colder bluer white they are a very good price.

8 x Connector Cable Adapter For RGB LED SMD Strip Stripe Waterproof
8 x Connector Cable Adapter For RGB LED SMD Strip Stripe Waterproof
Offered by Tcity

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware - are these what you want?, 19 Jan. 2014
There are (at least) two different standards of generic LED RGB strips. I presume these are fine if you have the right LEDs, but Amazon linked this product to the LED I purchased - but they are the wrong sort. I think these fit ones labeled '5050SMD' but do not work with those labeled '3528SMB'. As far as I can tell the 5050 are on 10mm wide strips and the 3528 on 8mm strips. Hope this helps someone avoid my mistake. Incidentally I have both sorts of LED strips and the 5050 are far superior.

Krups Expert GVX231 Burr Coffee Grinder
Krups Expert GVX231 Burr Coffee Grinder
Offered by U Stores

2.0 out of 5 stars Good in bits, but shamefull electronics, 25 July 2012
This is a mechanically well built machine that performs its grinding function pretty well. So it should be a good product? Unfortunately after building a good grinder Krupps decided to surround it with poorly made switches, controls and electronics. Mine stop working properly after a year, basically it worked in short bursts of about half a second at a time. After a brief google search I found this was common enough problem often caused by poor quality switches used to prevent grinder operating when collection container or lid is not properly fitted, the advice being take it apart and by pass offending switches, which I did only to find mine had a more general electronic problem with timing circuit just not working, so I by passed the thyristor on circuit board and mine now works perfectly by operating mains switch on the wall.

If none of what I have said makes sense, or you you couldn't be bothered with making such modifications, or you think you shouldn't have to make such modifications to a simple grinder to get it to work; then don't buy this grinder. Otherwise it's okay but better should be out there somewhere.

101 Indie Classics
101 Indie Classics

2.0 out of 5 stars Classic??? Perhaps I don't understand, 3 July 2011
This review is from: 101 Indie Classics (Audio CD)
Ok it's got lots of songs, and is an opportunity to hear stuff you haven't heard before. But classic, no way, the track choice is odd to say the least, two songs from Morrissey and none from the Smiths; for me the Smiths started the whole indie scene surely they are worth a track or two, the post Smiths Morrissey may have its value, but indie NO, it just doesn't have that fresh edgy feel of the indie I remember. One solitary song each from Oasis (none form Definitely Maybe) and The Stone Roses who each defined the two golden eras of Indie music, surely 'Fools Gold' and 'I am the Resurrection' should be there. As for the rest some of it's good, most is mediocre, some is quite poor and a few sound like they should on romantics or soft pop rock compilations. I loved the indies scene of the 80's, it was fresh, energetic, edgy; this collection just doesn't catch it all. Perhaps I miss understand the whole indie thing and it really is this stuff that seems to come from the afternoon Radio 2 playlist rather than the Hacienda.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2012 3:51 AM GMT

Alone in Berlin (Penguin Modern Classics)
Alone in Berlin (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Hans Fallada

4.0 out of 5 stars Authorative account of lefe in Nazi Berlin, 11 Jun. 2011
It's impossible to imagine life in Nazi Germany, but this novel is probably the most authorative account of day to day life I have come across. I found it a real page turner, which for a book so dark feels like an odd thing to say. The fact that the darkness comes from real history makes it even more chilling. Throughout you feel Fallanda speaks with authority and a real desire to describe the mood of life in Berlin under the Nazi's. The characters are on the whole very believable, they all suffer from very human flaws and lead lives which on the whole are controlled by events outside themselves.

I found some parts of the dialogue a bit forced, this I think is typical of detective stories. The villains (in this case the heroes) and the cops both tend to over explain their actions for the sake of the narrative. No one really talks like that and a think the sense of reality of the book, otherwise so skillfully crafted, is somewhat compromised by this. Fallanda wants to make many points in his story and in doing so introduces a few scenes which put the book beyond suspended disbelief for me. The conclusion of the interview with the first investigator ended in a particularly unbelievable way but you understand why it's there, Fallanda has something he wants to say about how humans can become so thoroughly morally corrupt without their knowing. However these are trivial points in an otherwise tremendously ambitious project. This book goes a long way in explaining the inexplicable, namely how the Nazis could maintain their grip on public mood through the the unrestrained use of systematic fear. More than anything this is book that explores the human condition in one of its darkest hours and manages to draw some very positive conclusions.

I felt the last part of the book dragged a bit, the novel had really done it job by the time of the arrests, Very little was added to the story in the prisons leading up to the inevitable conclusion. However the notes at the end where fascinating, don't be tempted to read them first you get a real understanding of Fallanda and his motives in the afterword which would spoil the novel if you knew them before hand. An essential read,

A People's History of the United States: 1492-Present (Modern Classics)
A People's History of the United States: 1492-Present (Modern Classics)
by Howard Zinn

4.0 out of 5 stars Did not tell me what I thought I wanted to know, 25 April 2011
I consider myself well informed on world events and history, however I had a nagging embarrassment of my lack of 'knowledge' about American history. I grew-up in the Reagan years and have followed events since then, but I didn't really know what a founding father was, the events that triggered the civil and independence wars or what the Gettysburg address was. So I bought this book to inform me of the 'facts', I choose it because it had a left/liberal perspective and I knew a right-wing (winners) book would make me very angry.

Frankly it didn't help, Zinn is barely interested in isolated events and concerns himself with broad movements and long term trends. Now I feel embarrassed I cared about the founding fathers, Zinn is absolutely right to dismiss the historical facts of the leaders, history is made by the balance of class forces. The leaders themselves rarely present the truth in their public conduct the real history is beneath the surface.

Whatever your perspective this is a book worth reading, it is biased (as are all histories), Zinn states that very clearly throughout the text, but you cannot understand American history only from the 'offical' texts. It is unlikely any reader will agree with everything Zinn says (I have some issues regarding the Cold War) but no reader with a heart can deny the inner truth of Zinn's core argument; Amercian is and always has been the champion of the rich and powerful and anything in the way the of the pursuit of profit is pushed aside.

It is a tough read, at times I felt Zinn over laboured the point with anecdotal detail and dates jump backwards and forwards and can leave you a little confused; but overall my understanding of American history is greatly bought in to focus. I felt I knew the facts of the Reagan years, but now I feel I understand how America got there. As for the embarrassing lack of historical factual knowledge I filled those in with Wikipedia which wasn't as interesting but may improve my trivial pursuit performance.

Page: 1 | 2