Profile for Christa Palace > Reviews

All I Want For Christmas [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harley Jane Kozak
Offered by Discs4all

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Christmas spirit, 25 Dec. 2009
Yes, it is cheesy, but it is also very funny and a perfect film for a family Christmas. The little girl is particularly hilarious and the antics are perfect.

Martin Misunderstood
Martin Misunderstood
by Karin Slaughter

4.0 out of 5 stars Fundamentally different from her other books but lots of fun, 25 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Martin Misunderstood (Paperback)
I bought this because I enjoy her other books. This one is very different! It's really quite funny - like "The Office", "Office Space" or "e" but with a criminal twist. If you don't like that kind of thing and you only like the types of books she normally writes - Grant County or similar - don't buy it. However I found it really amusing and delightfully twisted.

Artemis Fowl and the Time Paradox
Artemis Fowl and the Time Paradox
by Eoin Colfer

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of the Artemis books but definitely worth reading!, 16 April 2009
I am a big fan of this series, and have read and re-read each installment with glee. This is not my favourite of the series and I have re-read it less often. However, it is still a fantastic and enjoyable book that I would heartily recommend!

Murder Between the Covers: A Dead-End Job Mystery (Dead-End Job Mysteries)
Murder Between the Covers: A Dead-End Job Mystery (Dead-End Job Mysteries)
by Elaine Viets
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas, weird execution, 10 April 2009
I agree with the previous reviewer - it is hard to empathise with the main character because she is so depressing and bitter. All men are seriously flawed, people with money don't understand, and in both this and her previous book there are some really odd anti-Canadian jibes as well. Perhaps I only notice these as I am Canadian, but she does repeatedly find fault with Canadians in a way that is offensive without being funny (if it was also funny I wouldn't mind at all). I just can't read her books anymore. If it was less bitter I would really like the series and recommend it. It's a real shame as the author is clearly talented and the ideas are good.

Weight Watchers Cook Smart Family Food
Weight Watchers Cook Smart Family Food
by Weight Watchers International

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book if you are on Weight Watchers, 26 Mar. 2009
This book is fantastic - brilliant entrees some for under 5 points! The chicken tikka curry and the sweet potato and sausage salad are life savers. I didn't feel deprived at all and lost weight steadily.

Time Out Florence 6th edition (Time Out Florence & The Best of Tuscany)
Time Out Florence 6th edition (Time Out Florence & The Best of Tuscany)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Florence guidebook, 23 Sept. 2008
Having spent a day in Florence with my mother using Lonely Planet and my dad using Rick Steeves - it was a nightmare! Restaurant recommendations were touristy or rubbish and it was hard to get around. I went and bought Time Out Florence from a bookshop near our hotel because of previous good experiences with Time Out Rome. The recommendations were spot on, and were equally good for a side trip to Pisa (botanical gardens were lovely and the chocolate shop and gelateria recommended on the river were fantastic). I highly recommend this book and encourage you to try as many recommended gelateria as possible - the three we tried were amazing.

Time Out Florence - 5th Edition: & the best of Tuscany: And the Best of Tuscany (Time Out Florence & The Best of Tuscany)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Florence guidebook, 23 Sept. 2008

Time Out Rome - 8th edition
Time Out Rome - 8th edition

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite guidebook series, 21 Sept. 2008
I have been to Rome twice with this guidebook and had a fabulous time on both occasions. The restaurant recommendations are always spot on, as are the hotels. I've been to a number of museums and historical sights with it and been happy. Thanks to it I have some glorious memories of dining at amazing tucked-away places and went to art museums I might not otherwise have gone to. I find the Time Out guides help you avoid the tourist traps, especially when it comes to food!

Murder 101 (Alison Bergeron Mysteries)
Murder 101 (Alison Bergeron Mysteries)
by Maggie Barbieri
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 21 Sept. 2008
I didn't expect much from this but wanted to try a new author. I was pleasantly surprised and have read it several times. The main character is a very believable heroine, her sidekick is hilarious, it's well written, and I look forward to the next one.

Then We Came to the End: A Novel
Then We Came to the End: A Novel
by Joshua Ferris

1.0 out of 5 stars So forgettable I accidentally bought it twice, 21 Sept. 2008
I will read almost anything, but I've repeatedly failed to finish this book. It's hard to care about anyone or anything in it! It's very tedious. Rather amusingly, it's so forgettable that after buying it (on a bookshop's recommendation), not finishing it, and setting it aside for charity, I found I had a second copy in my charity box, also bookmarked about a third of the way through, clearly unfinished.

Page: 1 | 2