ARRAY(0xb3b38d98)

Profile for Daniel Carver > Reviews

Content by Daniel Carver

Daniel Carver "Music Obsessive" (UK)

Sony CDXGT610U.EUR In-car head unit
Sony CDXGT610U.EUR In-car head unit

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony Not Pony, 7 May 2008
I've had this stereo now for a couple of months and it makes driving even more of a pleasure. I went for the full works and had the stereo connected to the steering wheel controls. as well as buying the Sony adaptor (on Amazon for 10). As a result, my i-pod sits snugly in my glove compartment and I can now control my playlists etc from the head unit. This though, is why the product doesn't receive the full five stars. Without the adaptor, you're a bit stuffed - the unit creates its own playlists which you can't amend. Plus you can't access your existing playlists. The clever bggers at Sony made the CDXGT610 compatible with Sony Stage rather than the far more common i-tunes.

I can't recommend enough buying the adaptor - easy to install and makes your music far more manageable. One small gripe - If you turn the car off the unit goes back to the beginning of an album/ playlist (or whatever you're listening to) rather than continuing play from where you left off - it's an annoyance, but not the end of the world.

Learn Yourself
Learn Yourself
Offered by slcmusic
Price: 17.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Catches A Feeling, 28 Feb 2008
This review is from: Learn Yourself (Audio CD)
My opinion of this album has been slightly skewed, as I bought the album at a Beautiful Girls gig in Byron Bay, Australia....maybe it was the sun, maybe it was the booze, maybe it was the funked-up Bob Marley covers they were playing, but I was hooked...
Now I'm back on the reality treadmill in London, this album loses some of it's magic. Don't get me wrong, it's still very good, but it can't possibly recreate THAT night. I would recommend it for the chilled out, funky, sun-drenched vibe that it's got - I think it's best described as a better alternative to Jack Johnson!

Live on Brighton Beach
Live on Brighton Beach
Offered by Giant Entertainment
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Give The Po' Man A break, 5 Feb 2008
This review is from: Live on Brighton Beach (Audio CD)
It seems that Fatboy is taking a pasting again. Perhaps the context of this mix has been lost on some reviewers. It's live! (albeit edited in places because of the length of the set..). Some of the mixes DO rattle and aren't perfect, but this provides a refreshing change from the Pro-Tools perfected mixes being produced in studios and tagged with a DJ's name, purely because he/ she chose the tracks and the programming.

I love Norm's 'devil may care' approach. He happily crosses genres, mixing house into techno, breaks into progessive, etc etc etc... He doesn't try and take you 'on a journey'. Oh - it's a fabulous cliche and should be reserved only for the likes of Sasha & Digweed, who really do take you on a journey, but again use Pro-Tools to do so! I also love that Fatboy Norm is one of the few DJs left who uses a pair of Technics. Therefore his live sets are bound to include a couple of loose mixes, but this only adds to the authenticity! He's a party DJ through and through, who knows how to whip up a crowd that don't care that you shouldn't mix Trance into Soul or whatever, but do care that a DJ gets them wiggling. It's a special skill to make a blend of anthems sound fresh and new and Slimboy Fatnorm succeeds at that again here.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Classic!, 29 Jan 2008
This watch is fantastic. Mine has gone through numerous scrapes & knocks as I wear it every day and yet it's in the same condition as when I bought it. It frequently receives comments of admiration from other watch enthusiasts, yet it's not what I'd consider to be too 'bling' or ostentatious - on the contrary, it looks equally good with a casual shirt as it does with a suit.

My only slight grievance is that the time needs updating relatively frequently because of its kinetic motor - but this doesn't really take any of the pleasure away from owning one.