Profile for Mr. Mg Johnson > Reviews

Content by Mr. Mg Johnson

Mr. Mg Johnson (Essex, United Kingdom)

Thomas Paine Reader (Classics)
Thomas Paine Reader (Classics)
by Thomas Paine

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 18 Sep 2014
Contains the key texts produced by Paine in a very reasonably-priced single volume. Reading with interest and pleasure every day.

Blade of Kings [DVD]
Blade of Kings [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jackie Chan

1.0 out of 5 stars 90 minutes of your life you'll never get back, 18 Sep 2014
This review is from: Blade of Kings [DVD] (DVD)
A script apparently written by 12-year olds, purile humour, a plot that seems made-up on the spot, special effects used gratuitously as if to keep up with what Hollywood offers just to show that Hong Kong can; why was this junk made? The blurb on the back made it sound like a grand epic with breathtaking panoramic scenery and although the plot didn't sound original it would not matter. These were just downright lies. The costumes looked like 'wardrobe' ran them up on a sewing machine for next to nothing and the - oh you get the idea. I lived in Hong Kong for many years. My children have Chinese heritage. I wanted to show them their first Jackie Chan film. so I thought I'd try this one. My wife and I watched it first as it contains 'mild sexual references'. It actually contains purile, giggly jokes about sex. And it boils down to two goody, goody young men resisting the advances of the ('naughty, naughty') sexually liberated females in the film. It shows how sexually repressed and immature the director and producer must be. I literally fell asleep from boredom watching this. My wife - Hong Kong born and bred - said: "I can't believe people in Hong Kong have enjoyed this." She then hit me with a cushion for wasting our money on it!

Paul [DVD]
Paul [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly entertaining film that should be better known, 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: Paul [DVD] (DVD)
What a surprise this movie is! I had never heard of it. Picked up in a supermarket sale bin (crazy!), I bought it for my wife, who enjoyed 'Shaun of the Dead' by the same two British stars. We watched it last night and I enjoyed one of the best film nights for years! Why is this film so little known? Could it be the title - 'Paul'? It gives so little away that people don't know what to expect, perhaps?

There are lots of laughs throughout the film. It's essentially a comedy road movie, set in the US, on a sci-fi theme. Packed full of lovely observational comedy and visual fun, I really loved it. You know that feeling when you watch a movie and the next day, small moments return to your memory and you smile? That's what this movie does. I want to watch it again. It's worth owning rather than renting therefore.

There's a lovely moment too, at the end, when a major Hollywood actress with stunning sci-fi credentials makes an appearance.I won't spoil it. But we were so glad to see her on screen again. Lovely, lovely movie.

Liberty's Furniture 1875 -1915: The Birth of Modern Interior Design
Liberty's Furniture 1875 -1915: The Birth of Modern Interior Design
by Daryl Bennett

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to Liberty Furniture, 17 Sep 2013
I am new to Liberty furniture, though not to antique furniture in general, so was fascinated to see this area treated with seriousness for the first time. Daryl Bennett describes Liberty the man, the store, the ethos and how and where Liberty sat within the Arts and Crafts movement. The book is lavishly illustrated with some wonderful examples that I now covet - that's the downfall of such a book if it can be described as such! There is also a great section on how to identify Liberty furniture bearing in mind that it was emulated by craftsmen at the time. I recommend it.

English & Irish Delftware: 1570-1840
English & Irish Delftware: 1570-1840
by Aileen Dawson

5.0 out of 5 stars A scholarly, beautiful reference book on the subject, 24 Sep 2010
Every page features one of The British Museum's collection of Delftware in a large image with accompanying text. The collection has a particular slant, largely towards the political pieces (hence the cover), and so this makes it even more interesting. A delightful book.

Living With Early Oak: Seventeenth - Century English Furniture
Living With Early Oak: Seventeenth - Century English Furniture
by John Fiske

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful overview of the furniture and historical context, 15 Feb 2010
'Living With Early Oak' offers both a wonderful introduction to early English oak furniture and an opportunity to deepen our appreciation. The section on tables and seating is especially insightful, offering descriptions of social etiquette of the period and how a design of chair or table evolved in line with social norms so that we can 'read' the furniture far more closely.

And then from this historical perspective, Fiske and Freeman talk to the reader directly on how to judge the quality of a piece, how much to pay for it, how to care for it, and how to view these beautiful, collectible objects as potential investments.

As the previous reviewer points out, however, the only down side is the fact that all photographs are black and white. Having said that, if you love early English oak furniture you will love this book.

The Usborne Internet-linked Children's Encyclopedia
The Usborne Internet-linked Children's Encyclopedia
by Felicity Brookes

5.0 out of 5 stars Every toddler should have it, 3 Oct 2009
My four-year old daughter loves this encyclopedia...and so do we. She has lots of fiction but we wanted to introduce the idea of books as a place to learn about the world around us and this book is ideal. It has topics that can enthrall younger children immediately, such as what happens when we chew and swallow food (a great cross-section diagram of the human thorax brings it to life) to how toilets and taps work (we removed the lid of the cistern after reading it and she watched the toilet being flushed with amazement as our 'lesson' came to life before her eyes!). And for when they get older, there are abstract ideas such as plant cells, human reproduction as well as history and other cultures around the world. There are so many books within this book. Can I award it six stars?