Profile for Paul > Reviews

Content by Paul
Top Reviewer Ranking: 753
Helpful Votes: 2043

Paul (Pembrokeshire)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-28
Eddingtons Compost Pail, Stainless Steel
Eddingtons Compost Pail, Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars No smell and looks great, 16 Mar 2012
This is similar to the Kitchen Craft Compost Bin, Stainless Steel, 5 Litres compost pail but only in external appearance. This Eddingtons pail has a larger capacity, a better finish and a superior lid construction. As the two are similar in price, and I have now purchased both, I feel that this is definitely the one you should buy for your kitchen waste. If you are someone who cooks everything from scratch and also likes to compost then this is an ideal kitchen companion. I would say that based on it's capacity and cooking for three people every day, this would probably give you three or four days of waste capacity dependent on your veg consumption.

The great feature about the bin, as with other similar compost bins is that it uses a vented lid with a filter system. This allows you to keep waste in it for longer without the smell that would occur if it was not vented.

I'm hopeful that provided I can keep the pail in good condition that I will not suffer with the rust problems that others have mentioned but if I have problems then I will adjust the review accordingly.

For now, it looks nice, provides a point of conversation and does it's job well and for the price you can not say fairer than that.

LCD Screen Cleaning Kit complete with microfibre cloth, anti-static brush and storage bag.
Offered by UK Home & Garden Store Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung LCD now looks like new, 29 Feb 2012
I have tried glass cleaner on my 42" Samsung LCD and I always ended up with the oil slick effect. I think it is fair to say that having a large TV means that when you try and clean it with the wrong product you can not hide bad cleaning results. I finally snapped after trying to clean the screen again with glass cleaner and bought this brilliant cleaning kit.

When I first started to use it I thought was heading into the glass cleaner scenario again but I kept the microfibre cleaning cloth moving and hey presto the screen cleaned up brilliantly. A fantastic product at an equally fantastic price!

Samsung Series 5 3G Chromebook - Titan Silver
Samsung Series 5 3G Chromebook - Titan Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.9 stars nearly perfect (5 Stars after using it more and more!!), 27 Feb 2012
(PLEASE NOTE: I have changed my opinion and now give the Chromebook 5 full stars!)

This is one of those products that is really hard to review because it does what you want but makes you think differently and in doing so makes you question its design. I might be stating the obvious but for those that have not realised, this is the Google Chrome browser with a keyboard attached, wireless n networking and 3G and that is it.

Without a solid internet connection it becomes about as much use as a chocolate teapot!
(Although you can use an app called scratchpad for writing or note taking offline and this can sync with Google docs when you go back online)

I was really torn between this and a tablet and as a gizmo fan I still like the tablet option ahead of this for the simple reason that if you download an app(depending on the app) you can use it off line. This is really the core difference for me. It also makes me wonder why they could not build a version on android and allow storage (standard storage in this device is 16gb which is just a file repository not a drive that you run programmes from) - maybe they will but it's probably not going to happen while the cloud computing model still has legs.

If I like tablets why have I bought this? For me it just came down to practicality; I have an iPhone 4S and therefore I already own a mini tablet which makes my choice slightly easier.

The reasons for my purchase:

I wanted a device that I could edit websites with and 90% of this is carried out online.

I needed to run website admin which is completely internet based.

I need to edit the occasional word document - this is a key area as the sort of editing that we do is (unfortunately) not available through anything other than MS Word and to do this on the Chromebook I used MS Skydrive which allows me to use web based versions of the MS office suite.

I also needed to edit a blog - so a real keyboard is easier to use when you have knock out 500 words.

I wanted easy access to webmail - in particular Gmail.

I needed to access Google Calendar in a way that does not compromise functionality.

A key feature was my requirement to use a Google adwords account - and this at the moment is only functional through a full size browser and I acknowledge that you can view adwords through a smart phone.

I wanted something that would hook up to a wireless network or 3G signal.

I wanted the mobility of a laptop without the poor battery life, slow boot up times and high purchase price.

I did not need app store distractions and even though there is plenty of app content available through the Chrome store, some of which I have already installed, it does not distract me as much as it does on my iPhone. I imagine this will change the more I use the Chromebook but I'm happy with the level of retraint I seem to have at the moment!

What makes this such a great device is the speed, keyboard and battery life.

It powers up in an instant (if you close the cover, it goes to sleep and when you re-open it really is an instant on machine) and the internet connection is snappy but only as good as your provider.

The keyboard is great and has a nice resistance.

The battery life is excellent.

Screen brightness is excellent and resolution is good.

Construction is plastic but of a decent quality.

The mousepad takes a few goes before you start to get used to it and response can be a little erratic but that seems to be more to do with me but I can not be entirely sure! The pad has no buttons and so a right click is a two finger touch and to scroll its a two finger drag. Highlighting is a click and drag. The click action can be a tap or click depending on how you set it up.

To summarise I would buy this if you had to use the internet and edit in manner I need to. If you want a gadget and a smaller form factor then you are probably better off with a tablet and maybe a keyboard dock. Just think carefully about which way you are inclined. After reading this it appears that Google have worked me into a corner and I have to point out that I'm not the search behemoths biggest fan - but acknowledge, that, for now, they run the internet but like Microsoft before them, I look forward to the next stage of the internet evolution that takes away the monopoly element from the Google business model.

The final word, I got my wife a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (WiFi, 16GB, Black) - UK Version and it's a nice piece of kit but after using both I conclude that from a work perspective and everything mentioned above Chromebook suits me more as I "work" on it rather than mess around!

Tinker Bell Triple Pack (Tink, Lost Treasure and Fairy Rescue) [DVD]
Tinker Bell Triple Pack (Tink, Lost Treasure and Fairy Rescue) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mae Whitman

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of wholesome fun, 27 Feb 2012
I thought Disney had become tired, too commercial and lacking over the years but this type of offering is just what an old cynic needs to change his mind. The only complaint that I have is that the fairies have been made to look like "it girls" but if you can get past this then you will be able to watch a really wonderful set of DVD's that are not only lovingly animated but have great morality based story lines. Brilliant.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2012 11:44 AM GMT

I'M Toys 22006 Glutting Giraffe
I'M Toys 22006 Glutting Giraffe
Offered by Kaufhaus321

5.0 out of 5 stars Wooden and joyful, 27 Feb 2012
Our 17 month old daughter loves this. It's a simple toy but but creates a sense of satisfaction for her as she watches the spinners clacking through the rails. We knew she had fantastic hand eye co-ordination before buying this but when this arrived we found out how quick she was too. As the spinners got to the end of the run I would take them off and hold them for her and as quick as I could take them off she was managing to feed them back in whilst screeching with laughter! I'm a big fan of wooden toys and I thoroughly recommend this to any parent that feels the same.

MinoSharp / Shinkansen Water Sharpener set of 2 replacement ceramic wheels for 220 models
Offered by Colanders FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 17 Feb 2012
Having had my original wheels for the best of 18 months, the fine wheel broke and I decided to buy this replacement for the two. It's quite funny how I had become used to the wheels not being as good as new and had not noticed that although my global knives were sharp that they were not as sharp as they could have or should have been. I would therefore suggest that you take a look at how sharp your knives and replace the wheels more often - maybe every year? A great way to sharpen.

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens
Offered by vaioo cast

5.0 out of 5 stars AAAAARGGGGHHHH!!!!, 17 Feb 2012
I love this lens and I also hate it but I love it. It's the kind of lens that can make your head spin. I have taken the best picture of my daughter with it and I have also taken some that were not so great. The problem that you will have is that its a fixed portrait lens and you need a minimum distance from your subject of, in my very humble opinion, 12ft. You can certainly go closer but not much as you will not get enough of your subject into the frame and this is the fundamental issue. If you want a lens that is razor sharp and captures truly stunning face pictures then this is the one (if you have a good flash and set the depth correctly it can blow your mind how good an image you can capture). If you want a full body shot then be prepared to be in a space larger than the average British semi-detached to get your subject in frame. The reason for the title of this review is because there are times when I have tried setting the lens and wanted more than just a face but because of my environment could not get far enough away to capture what I wanted. Not tried it outside yet but I could imagine it proving quite brilliant on action shots. So buy it but be very careful as it might make you go "aaaaargggghhhh"!

I have posted a picture of my daughter at 15 months to show what type of image you can achieve. Whilst this particular image does not show sharpness as I had the speed quite low to catch more of an art shot it still, again in my opinion, provides an idea of the creativity a good lens can offer. (not sure if Amazon will allow it and I will take this text out if they don't)
Comment Comment | Permalink

Ex-Pro OFC HQ RF TV Aerial Coaxial Lead Gold Male Plug To Plug 2m
Ex-Pro OFC HQ RF TV Aerial Coaxial Lead Gold Male Plug To Plug 2m
Offered by Sound Cables

5.0 out of 5 stars GOLD!, 17 Feb 2012
I can't think of any banal jokes about "going for gold" or quoting spandau ballet songs to make this review more interesting of funny therefore I will just say the picture is fantastic, the delivery snappy and the price makes the cable worth its weight in......GOLD! 8-) Excellent!

Panasonic DMR-HW100EBK 320GB Hard Disc Recorder with Twin and HD Tuners (discontinued by manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Distinctly poor, 16 Feb 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This unit tells us what happens to a company that is no longer a leading player in home technology and has lost touch with what the consumer expects. The picture is fine, the sound is fine, the recording and playback are fine but how the menu looks is so far removed from being intuitive as to seem like it was designed at the end of the 90's and all the clever parts like 3d and DLNA added now. The box looks like it too was designed even earlier (the front is actually a giant flap - I have not seen that type of design on technology that I own since the early 90's). It is slow to start up and the always on option for DLNA does not work. The selection of internet apps is inadequate and I do not believe that it will change as this would require adoption by third party providers. I really believe that this is Panasonic's Kodak moment. It is too late, poorly designed and a last desperate attempt to try and keep up with the South Koreans. It's a sad day for Panasonic but shows what happens when you no longer understand the consumer.

Tomy Colour Doodle
Tomy Colour Doodle

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Feb 2012
This review is from: Tomy Colour Doodle (Toy)
Bought for our 1 year old and she loves it. The colours are in predefined areas and you can not control them. I would not endorse leaving your child sit on it as it tends to bow in the middle with a 20lb sat on it which might be why the eraser bar does not quite run as smoothly as it did! It comes with 3 magnetic shapes and a magnetic pen secured by a chord and this proved to be the focus for our child who now at the tender age of 14 months can hold the pen like I hold mine - which I was amazed at! Hours of fun for your little one at a great price.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-28