Profile for Paul > Reviews

Content by Paul
Top Reviewer Ranking: 816

Paul (Pembrokeshire)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Pampers Sensitive Refill Pack Giga 12 x Packs of 56 (672 Wipes)
Pampers Sensitive Refill Pack Giga 12 x Packs of 56 (672 Wipes)
Offered by Groceries R US

5.0 out of 5 stars THERE'S WIPES THEN THERE"S PAMPERS WIPES, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have been using pampers wipes for the last 3 1/2 years, or in parental terms, since the birth of our daughter. We have used other wipes out of necessity during this period (run out of pampers or could not buy pampers or forgot to pack the pampers), and have always found that the other brands just do not provide the cleaning capability of Pampers.

Pampers get the job done, even those really bad jobs where it's nappy carnage (admittedly, in this extreme situation up to six or eight sheets have been used!).
No allergy issues, no greasiness and no weird smells. The strength of the wipes is its greatest, erm, strength! They just seem to be really resilient.

We are a long way past nappies but still use the wipes for face, hands and the toilet and the cleaning action remains impeccable.

Sage by Heston Blumenthal the Smart Toast, 4 Slice, 1900 Watt
Sage by Heston Blumenthal the Smart Toast, 4 Slice, 1900 Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST TOASTER WE HAVE OWNED, 17 April 2014
Here's why:
Toasts well and consistently even.
Quick look function that raises the toast to see how it's doing without interrupting the overall timing.
Little bit more function if your toast needs...a little bit more.
An LED light indicator that measures the time left.
Automatic rise and drop - no more pushing down repeatedly.
Fantastic brushed finish which is easy to clean and provides a cool wall.

I know from reading elsewhere that this is a brand from Breville and some people take umbrage with this but if a manufacturer decides to offer a premium product via another channel and it delivers then surely thats shrewd and should be applauded with the subsequent improvements filtering through to all elements of the business?

The only downside is the price and this will ultimately be how the toaster is measured. I'm hoping for 5 years of use for my money - watch this space!

BT Home Hub 4R N600 Dual Band Wireless ADSL Modem Router
BT Home Hub 4R N600 Dual Band Wireless ADSL Modem Router

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST BT MODEM ROUTER YET?, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have always been a BT Broadband customer because I felt that the rural areas I have lived in have been best served by their infrastructure. There have been other providers but none that were proven to be any better. The only downside I have found to using BT apart from, delays in installation, indian call centres finding it difficult to manage and control the responses from Openreach and subsequent deployment or priority scheduling is that the modem routers tended to be nothing to write home about and were built with an engineered habit of kicking device off the network.

This latest offering seems to be finally addressing this issue and also coverage seems to have been remedied. However it's still early days, and if it starts failing then I will update the review accordingly.

When it comes to how or why this unit is better than its predecessors then I'm sure there will be plenty of tech reviews to explain what is going on under the hood. For me, these days, I just simply do not have the time or inclination to play around with router settings. I just want to take it out of the box and for it to work - and it does.

Mabel and the Sock Pirates -  Childrens Picture Book
Mabel and the Sock Pirates - Childrens Picture Book

5.0 out of 5 stars You will love it and your kids will love it more!, 7 Mar. 2014
Elwyn Tate is name you will need to remember and for good reason - his books are fun to read, and contain lovely illustrations that your children will adore. This story tells how Mabel the cat saves the day by scaring off the sock pirates, and Elwyn Tate once again shows how a kindle book for children should look and read.

The only way I can really explain how good Elwyn Tate is at writing these books is to say this; our 3 and 1/2 year old daughter loves Julia Donaldson books (all of them!) and her next favourite set of books are by Elwyn Tate and at a meagre 98 pence for this title you can not and will not go wrong.

Looper
Looper
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily one the best time travel sci-fi movies to date, 7 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Looper (Amazon Video)
I'm not going to tell you about the story. I'm going to tell you that the cast put in great performances, Willis/Gordon-Levitt are really on the money with G-L providing a great version of the younger Willis, and for the record is there anything that Emily Blunt can't get act? Filming and sound are fantastic.

Above all the premise is clever and intriguing with a nice spin on what happens if you could time travel and how this would change your future life.

The question is will you enjoy it? If you like Sci-fi, but don't require a film to have a $100 million dollar budget, and eye straining visual but instead enjoy something that gets the grey matter going a little, and a decent story then do yourself a favour and get this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2014 12:56 PM GMT

Tefal OptiGrill Health Grill GC701D40 (Stainless Steel) with Automatic Thickness and Temperature Measurement - 2000 W, Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BUT NOT QUITE BRILLIANT (a personal preference review), 25 Feb. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Tefal OptiGrill comes with a big boast that owning one is like having your own private chef in the kitchen. As much as I like it and have enjoyed cooking with it I found that the option for steak was not adequate for my personal taste. All the meat used was from my local farmer come butcher, is exceptional and always cooks brilliantly.

I'm from the Ramsey school of steak cooking (I have been cooking it the same way for 7 years) and like to get a flat frying pan ferociously hot, season the steak with some oil, salt, pepper then cook it for 2 mins each side (or thereabouts depending on thickness). This way you get a lovely caramalised outer bark, giving a wonderful flavour to go with the medium to rare succulent inside. Perfect (for me and the people that I cook for).

I tried to perform a similar method with the Tefal but even though it apparently pumps out 2000w, I failed to achieve the outer bark that I like so much. The upside the meat was juicy and well cooked. I also cooked some mushrooms on the grill after the steak and they were great! If you are happy with a steak that looks like the one in the pictures I have added then you will be pleased with the results.

I tried bacon and went for the crispy option - the result was really good. Chicken was also really good and still moist, and I think this is where the machine really shines in its ability to lock in the juices thereby keeping the meat succulent.

If I had any suggestions for improvement they would be to provide an option for flat cooking plates and also the option of setting the Optigrill to cook to your preference and then switch off (the setting is choose your meat and then listen for the bleeps and watch the colour of the light to choose how your meat is cooked)

I clipped one star off for my personal preference for how a steak is cooked but I know there will be plenty of people that will enjoy steak the way an Optigrill cooks.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2016 9:44 AM GMT

Max Factor Whipped Creme Foundation - 55 Beige
Max Factor Whipped Creme Foundation - 55 Beige
Offered by Innox Trading

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, 20 Feb. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Expected more was the verdict when I asked my wife to try this foundation. After seeing adverts for Max Factor, I too was of the opinion that this would be a good product for the price but the coverage was patchy and just didn't have any depth. I'm not a makeup expert but looking at this compared to the clinique foundation my wife usually uses, and it was obvious that in this instance paying more gets you better. However, for the price we agreed that if you take time then it can provide a result that might be suitable for someone in their teens or early twenties. Try before you buy.

Max Factor Whipped Creme Foundation - 45 Warm Almond
Max Factor Whipped Creme Foundation - 45 Warm Almond
Offered by Simifashion

3.0 out of 5 stars Its ok, 20 Feb. 2014

Eset NOD32 Antivirus (2014)/PC/3 user/1 year/Eco-friendly packaging
Eset NOD32 Antivirus (2014)/PC/3 user/1 year/Eco-friendly packaging

5.0 out of 5 stars HARD TO BEAT & HARD TO FAULT, 20 Feb. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is a bewildering selection of antivirus products on the market and the vast majority do a fairly decent job but seem to place a heavy load on system resources. Eset have seemingly avoided this trap and I have not noticed any slow down. In fact the only time I notice it is when it is updating or alerting. I have been using antivirus from different providers since 1997, and I really believe this is the best system I have used. Recommended.

Dettol Surface Cleanser with Lime and Mint 750 ml (Pack of 3)
Dettol Surface Cleanser with Lime and Mint 750 ml (Pack of 3)
Offered by Sapphire Fashions Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars NOTHING ELSE COMES CLOSE, 5 Dec. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are a number of ways to look at surface cleaners and from my perspective (without being able to use a black light to measure effectiveness) I can say that Dettol Surface cleanser is a great product. The scent is subtle but the cleaning action is quite easily the best I have seen. Is it able clean everything? No. I had to clean a particularly grubby oven glass door in a rental property and whilst I managed to clean it a bit only caustic soda could do the job. Obviously, this is an extreme but worth mentioning example. For the usual jobs around the house this is a great product even to the point of cleaning glass. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20