Profile for bridgesilver > Reviews

Matt Monro - The Singer's Singer
Matt Monro - The Singer's Singer
Price: 7.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Matt Monro, my guilty pleasure!, 30 May 2013
My dad was a classical/choral music fan, but he always liked Matt Monro and used to hum his songs but lament that he would never sound as good. It sort of rubbed off on me, and of music from this genre he is my favourite. To think this man spent his time driving buses!
Wonderful, soothing tone to his voice. Can sometimes give me goosebumps!

The Definitive Collection
The Definitive Collection
Price: 6.66

5.0 out of 5 stars A voice like smooth honey, 30 May 2013
Love this collection. Some collections include tracks just to make up the album, but I like every track. Sarah Vaughan is my favourite singer from the era, and I listen whilst driving home from work (35 miles), in the early hours. Its a good wind down.

Revolutionary, Patented SLEEP MASTER (tm) Sleep Mask. Worlds most effective light and noise reduction package. Helps with snoring partners , insomnia , shift work , jet lag for truly restful sleep. Prevents disturbed rest ensures peaceful slumber
Offered by sarz92
Price: 26.95

5.0 out of 5 stars If you live in a busy street and have trouble sleeping - try it!, 30 May 2013
I live on the brow of a hill on a busy commuter route in the middle of town, and as I work shifts often struggle to sleep. Traffic starts in earnest from 0600hrs, accelerating up the hill and despite double glazing is still very noisy. I live in a grade 2 listed flat, and have very large windows, which I stupidly bought curtains for without thinking about whether they let in any light! It would be a fortune for me to change these at the moment and I cant afford it.
I have tried various eye masks, ear plugs etc, some of which were quite successful, but when I saw this decided that I had nothing to loose. Cheaper than new curtains.
It arrived very promptly - within days of ordering - and I used it for the first time last night.
The eye mask part keeps all light out, is soft and cooling across my eyes. Once correctly in place, the mask wraps around my head going over my ears, thus enhancing the ear plugs. They do send ear plugs with this item, but I use Macks ear plugs as I hate anything inserted into the ear canal. This mask muffles sound rather than shutting it out completely, which should be good enough for roads not as busy as mine, but with the ear plugs noise was almost non existent.
I often used to lay on my side and put a pillow over my ears to try to cut out the noise, but now this wrap around mask does the job more than adequately. I awoke this morning with the mask still in place and had a wonderful nights sleep!

Dancin' Thru The Dark - Digitally Restored & Remastered [DVD]
Dancin' Thru The Dark - Digitally Restored & Remastered [DVD]
Dvd ~ Claire Hackett
Offered by Home Entertainment Online
Price: 7.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Got it at last!, 23 Mar 2013
I saw this film once on its first release, rented it from a video shop on the recommendation of the owner who predicted that I would like it. Every now and again I remembered it, and kept an eye out in case it came on telly but never did see it.
I love it - the fashion, the culture, a time gone that is brought back for one and a half hours of pure bliss. The great one liners - ".....don't worry mate, banana's aren't safe with her around......" the setting, the way males and females go out and act together in little gangs in the mating ritual.......girls dancing around their handbags whilst the men line the dancefloor ready to pounce when the slow records start. Its all there, the young of today will get a good idea of what their parents got up to.
Buy it, its a classic, and you wont be disappointed.
And my copy is brilliant.

Anatomy and Human Movement Pocketbook, 1e
Anatomy and Human Movement Pocketbook, 1e
by Nigel Palastanga
Price: 24.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential for study, 3 Jan 2013
Used this whilst taking my nurse practitioner qualifications. Essential for academic study, for staff in minor injuries, walk in centres, general practice staff, assistants, nurses and doctors alike. Easily referenced, I still use mine as an aide memoire.

Pantheon
Pantheon
by Sam Bourne
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as some of his other work, 3 Jan 2013
This review is from: Pantheon (Paperback)
I must agree with the other negative comments to a point; it is slow and labourious, and does have a lot of unnecessary 1930's style middle class pondering by the key character which does get tedious. It took me ages to read this; I kept putting it down and then resuming it again, all the time hoping that it would gather pace, but appart from a lame flurry in the closing chapters did not really take off.
Could not quite get to grips with the internal musings of the main character with regard to - amongst other things - his "rage;" the reasons for the 'wonderful' Florence leaving suddenly were not adequately explained and when an attempt was made to explain was not at all convincing; and I found the attempt to write as though this was coming from the mind/point of view of an upstanding, middle class well educated gentleman in the 1930's a bit contrived. He lacked depth and it was difficult to empathise with such a remote and at times unlikeable character. I found myself wishing that he would be arrested, and then deported back to the UK, thus leaving the impossibly 'wonderful' and 'beautiful' Florence to her fate in the US for having the audacity to leave with this small child in the first place. The 'by the way' references to the 'strange' foods - ie pizza's - was rather silly and not really in context.
Everything and everybody was so middle class, rich and posh that I just didnt care in the end what happened to any of them! The only time us mere mortals were mentioned was when the good Dr worked himself into a tiz thinking about those good working class fellows fighting the nazi menace for good old Blighty and the rest of the world. It seems the likes of us working classes should be thoroughly grateful for the deeds of these brave, posh educated gentlemen for involving the Americans in WW2 otherwise we would have all died out due to compulsory sterilisation and eugenics.
I do like Jonathan Freedland's work; and I have liked his other books that I have read, and ultimately I am glad I finished this book because his research is usually thorough, informative and thought provoking. So dont be put off reading this. Read little snippets in a book shop before commiting to buy, or get hold of an old copy and make your own minds up

new white hollie swinging crib with free mattress zip off cover
new white hollie swinging crib with free mattress zip off cover

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and even a bit indulgent....., 3 Jan 2013
The product is good quality, easy to put together, and very pretty. I bought it for my new grandaughter, and it looked so pretty. Unfortunately she was only in it for a couple of months, so an indulgent buy; I coveted one for my own children when they were babies, and could not afford it, so decided to spoil my family. The curtain rod did not arrive initially with the cot and took a couple of weeks to come, so lost 2 weeks without the pretty little drapes (that you buy separately); but the supplier sent the rod without quibble or question, so pleased with purchase overall and good service from the supplier.

Konig Portable CD Player
Konig Portable CD Player

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends what you are going to use this for, 3 Jan 2013
It does depend on what you are going to use this for, but I bought it to use whilst laying in bed either reading, or to help me get to sleep. I have some good self hypnosis cd's that I sometimes use when I go to bed, and leave this on the nightstand, so it works a treat. I often fall asleep during the cd, and wake up some time later, and it has continued to play out and then stopped appropriately. It would be no good to use walking around/jogging etc, as needs to lie flat and keep still; but on saying that if you do tip it inadvertently, it will just stop and re-start playing again. So from my point of view a good little buy.

Baby Girl Bunny Printed Hooded Fleece Sweat Top Multicolour 9/12 MNTHS
Baby Girl Bunny Printed Hooded Fleece Sweat Top Multicolour 9/12 MNTHS

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little jacket, 3 Jan 2013
Very happy with this, looks good,washes well and not expensive. Dont know what else amazon are expecting, they want 20 words before printing this review, but I think the first sentence sums this little jacket up well. So there you go with gold knobbs!

Ecru train 3 pieces bedding set Cot bed (70cm x 140cm)
Ecru train 3 pieces bedding set Cot bed (70cm x 140cm)

5.0 out of 5 stars very pleased, 3 Jan 2013
Bought this for my grandaughter and am very pleased with quality. I was especially looking for a more robust cot bumper, some of them are are very flimsy and nothing more than doubled pieces of material which offer no protection from the bars on the cot. Also wanted something that would keep out the draughts; my daughter and son in law live in an old draughty council house and the bedroom is a bit cold. The pattern is bright without being over bearing, and can be used for a girl or boy, so is economical and not just a faddy buy. Am happy to recommend this to anyone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7