Profile for Paul Shrimpling > Reviews

Content by Paul Shrimpling

Paul Shrimpling (Derbyshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Dominion
Dominion

4.0 out of 5 stars a marvellous ripping yarn, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dominion (Kindle Edition)
Great story. Fab characters. And paints a brilliant picture of the british class system in a ripping fictional yarn. Real page turner

A Friend Of A Friend
A Friend Of A Friend

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a grower!, 15 Sep 2010
This review is from: A Friend Of A Friend (Audio CD)
I can understand some of the other reviews suggesting this album is underwhelming - it starts that way then seems to get stronger and stronger with each listen. I played a few tracks this morning after seeing the band last night in Leeds (with Old Crow Medicine Show too!)and can't help but hear the soul, the genius and talent. I love it now. If you have enjoyed any of the Gillian Welch albums this is a worthwhile treat to add to your collection.

Do More Great Work: Stop the Busywork Start the Work That Matters
Do More Great Work: Stop the Busywork Start the Work That Matters
by Michael Bungay Stanier

5.0 out of 5 stars simple yet brilliant insight, 4 Aug 2010
Michael has written an insightful little book. I'm regularly quoting his little gems around the concept of great, good and bad work. It makes sense to everyone I share it with!

I've sent several copies to customers too - to positively rave reviews and thank yous.

Thank you Michael for the inspiration and the insight.

Paul

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
by Stieg Larsson

5.0 out of 5 stars un-put-downable crime thriller, 4 Mar 2010
I have now rabidly consumed all three books in this series and I'm sad they're finished. Wonderful writing, great characters and a pace to the story to take your breath away. I read a lot. Business books. Biographies and some novels too. This trilogy has been the most enjoyable read in recent years.

Exceptional Selling: How the Best Connect and Win in High Stakes Sales
Exceptional Selling: How the Best Connect and Win in High Stakes Sales
by Jeff Thull

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone in high-value sales, 26 Jan 2010
"Anyone in high value, b2b selling needs to read and re-read this book. discover, diagnose, design and deliver sound like the usual formulaic selling suggestions. They are but with a huge difference. I am constantly banging on about improving the quality of the conversation between accountants and their clients - this book tools you up with the ways and means of doing just that.

Rarely has a book given me so many BFO's (blinding flashes of the obvious). It's even better on the second reading.

I work with accountants but i see no reason why this book should not be essential reading for everyone in a professional service setting. Awesome."

ENCORE EFFECT
ENCORE EFFECT
by Mark Sanborn

4.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably good read, 8 April 2009
This review is from: ENCORE EFFECT (Hardcover)
I have sent a copy of this book to lots of my customers. It challenges the way we approach the work we do, suggesting that we could and should raise the bar. It also provides insights on how to do just that.

Practical it is. Well written too. If you want to raise your game it is definitely worth reading and acting on the advice.

Want to be remarkbable - Mark Sanborn can help you.

The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable (J-B Lencioni Series)
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable (J-B Lencioni Series)
by Patrick Lencioni

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, practical and inspirational leadership guidance, 8 Feb 2008
Rather than describe how effective this book consider this: I have shared the book with several of my customers and every one of them has thanked me profusely. Many of them they are using the message/story to inspire change within their own teams and seeing results.

It really is that good.

Transnormal Skiperoo
Transnormal Skiperoo

5.0 out of 5 stars just gets better, 18 Oct 2007
This review is from: Transnormal Skiperoo (Audio CD)
A glorious album. How on earth do you combine laid back electro country with a real groove to it? Jim White does it brilliantly well and yet does not warrant any sort of classification really. I can't tell you how much we enjoy his scathing wit and the sheer musicality of what Jim creates. I can't believe he isn't more popular (but quietly relieved that he isn't). Go and see him if you can and get this album. He's unique.

The Irresistible Offer: How to Sell Your Product or Service in 3 Seconds or Less
by Mark Joyner

5.0 out of 5 stars looks simple, almost too simple, but it works, 23 July 2007
I perhaps read one marketing book a month, occasionally two. And have done so for the last ten years or so. I also apply what I learn to see if it works and this works. And it works brilliantly well.

I've folded it into all my presentations on marketing and selling because it captures all that needs to be said to cut through the clutter of daily life.

I can't recommend it highly enough for its practicality, simplicity and effectiveness.

If there's a perfect partner for Joyners work it's Doug Hall's 'jump start your business brain'.

Empowerment Takes More Than a Minute
Empowerment Takes More Than a Minute
by Ken Blanchard

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the best from your team - it works, 18 Sep 2005
This book and it's follow up how-to guide continue to prove that they're founded on great principles. I've recently read a biography of Admiral Nelson and realise that empowerment is not an american import! During good times or more challenging times the info in this book provide a source of inspiration, a guide and how-to suggestions. When coupled with sensitive and determined decision making it could help transform most organisations - this depends on the ability of the leader as always, however this little tome can impact on your leadership style significantly. Well worth a read, and a re-read and testing whether stuff works - it has for me, repeatedly.

Page: 1 | 2