Profile for Jimboreg > Reviews

Content by Jimboreg

Jimboreg "eve" (london)

LaCie 9000492EK D2 Thunderbolt 2, 3 TB, 7200 RPM
LaCie 9000492EK D2 Thunderbolt 2, 3 TB, 7200 RPM

3.0 out of 5 stars Great over USB 3.0 - but possible Thunderbolt issues?, 23 Jun. 2015
I have three of these drives (all 3TB models). As usual with LaCie, the drives are expensive but well made. Obviously these are not SSD drive - the seller / Amazon really should fix that erroneous heading!

I'm currently using one as a work drive connected to a new MacPro.

Good Points:

Over USB 3.0, speed tests indicate about 190MB/sec Read and Write. Great speed. Appears reliable over USB 3.0

Neat design, good build quality

Bad Points:

Performance over Thunderbolt is flakey - at least on the drives that I purchased. I have had many copy errors, even had the drive disappear off the desktop during a copy. Scary stuff if you're a professional...

No proper on/off switch

Large, intrusive "activity light"

Occasional pauses when waking from inactivity

Vax Window Vacuum Cleaner
Vax Window Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by Electrical Emporium

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad Points, 5 Jun. 2015
I've had a Karcher WV50 for a number of years, and used it extensively. People used to give me VERY strange looks ... but now they are commonplace. When I saw this Vax machine, I thought it had potential as an upgrade to my aging Karcher. I've now tested the Vax thoroughly.

Good Points

• Built-in spray cleaner
• Pivoting Head for awkward angles
• Cheaper than Karcher equivalents
• Replaceable wiper blade (this feature is essential in a window vac)

Bad Points
• Vacuum suction is not as powerful as my old Karcher WV50
• On/Off switch is difficult to access on the job
• Wiper head is too fat - obscures view and limits manoeuuvring in awkward areas
• Pivot head is too "tight" - it's sometimes tricky to get it to pivot when needed, and there's an annoying initial stickiness before it starts pivoting

This product has the feeling of some good design ideas, badly engineered. It's OK, but I will be looking for another Karcher to replace my aging model. If you don;t have a window vac at all, it's worth having - but otherwise, get a Karcher.

Note - what window vacs won't do

In my experience, window vacs are GREAT. I can clean windows, tiles, mirrors and litchen surfaces in a fraction of the time using traditional methods. However, I don't expect to see perfectly streak free surfaces. There are always a few streaks (especially if blade isn't new or totally clean), and a few droplets that can't be reached around edges.

Having said that, I rate my window vac as being as indispensable as my hoover.

The North
The North
by John Bulmer

5.0 out of 5 stars John Bulmer, 19 April 2014
This review is from: The North (Hardcover)
After having discovered some of John's photography online, I waited eagerly for the release of this book. It didn't disappoint. I've taken to describing him as my favourite photographer, without exception. Whenever I need a arty gift for friends and family, I reach for another copy of this seminal book.

I grew up in the North at the tail end of John's career, and I find his photos incredibly evocative of our lives back then - or at least how we have come to remember them. To those "grim up North" clichés - you've missed the point. All around us once proud cities were having their hearts ripped out - but look at the people's faces - full of joy and humour despite the architectural desolation. Beauty and humour can dwell in the most adverse conditions.

Thankyou John, I hope you find the credit you deserve.