Profile for F. Cassidy > Reviews

Brian O'Driscoll: In BOD We Trust
Brian O'Driscoll: In BOD We Trust
by Marcus Stead

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written and researched, 22 Jan. 2010
This is a poorly written book, with a vast amount of glaring factual errors. It is also stitched together in a rather unusual way especially the last chapter or two. Anyway after finishing this book, I was left with the impression that the author knew O'Driscoll only as well as me. He seemed to write about what he had heard in the media right the way through the book. I would have been much more interested in a book that gave us a little more insight into Brian O'Driscoll.

Breaking The Chain: Drugs and Cycling - The True Story
Breaking The Chain: Drugs and Cycling - The True Story
by Willy Voet

4.0 out of 5 stars Shocking account of how bad things are, 27 Jun. 2008
This book provides a shocking account of Willy Voets experience in his many years in professional cycling. For someone that has no idea about cycling, I'm sure the contents of the book would be almost inmpossible to believe. For those that follow cycling (like myself) it's still a shock.
The book isn't all that well written, its written in a very informal tone, with the occasional use of bad grammer, but it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the book.
I think there are better books out there which give a more detailled acount of life in the proessional peleton, but for the price of it, I'd recommend this book to anyone.

From Lance to Landis: Inside the American Doping Controversy at the Tour de France
by David Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and researched book, 27 Jun. 2008
This is a good read. Walsh obviously spent a long time researching his material for the book, which is presented in a very professional manner. Not once in the book does Walsh make an unfounded allegation, everything is backed up with evidence.

Being a keen amatuer cyclist, I am well aware of what goes on in the professional peleton and it upsets me to hear people defend Lance Armstorng or any other cyclist for that matter who has tested positive. This for me is the root of the problems in cycling, nobody wants to knows, everyone is happy to turn a blind eye. People like Greg Lemond, Paul Kimmage and David Walsh should be listened to by all, the work they have done has often landed them in hot water and on the receiving end of much critism, but someone has to try and turn the tide.

This book is not all anti-Lance, for me it's more a story beginning with where cycling really began going south almost 20 years ago and where it has come since then. It describes how the best in the game abused the trust of their supporters and exposes the dirty truth of what cycling has become.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone curious about what really goes on in the professional peleton.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2012 11:31 PM BST