Profile for Laurence Staig > Reviews

Shapeshifter
Shapeshifter
by Laurence Staig

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the scariest ghost novels ever?, 14 Sep 2014
This review is from: Shapeshifter (Paperback)
OK - I confess this is a selfie review, but I am very proud of this novel. I tried to write the scariest story I could in an M R James tribute. Many people have told me I succeeded. Horror writer Ramsey Campbell gave it a glowing review. It was going to be filmed by Lawrence Gordon Clark but sadly the project folded with the impact of the UK recession. After some years of literary silence I am shortly about to publish a new collection of short stories so have decided I might give myself a shameful promo. You can still get copies of this book for little money - though I note there are a few collectable editions out there! A reader told me she could not read this book at night under any circumstances. Good, I say!

NELSON
NELSON
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific - must buy for Conte fans, 25 Jun 2011
This review is from: NELSON (Audio CD)
Not his best CD but 4 stars nevertheless + it grows on you and theres a few songs that you can't get out of your head - the song Clown is outstanding

Everyday Health My Calorie Counter: Complete Nutritional Information on More Than 9,000 Popular Brands, Fast-Food Chains, and Restaurant Menus
by Jennifer Sucov

1.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to navigate!, 25 Jun 2011
A simple index would have helped - also not really useful for a UK customer - gave up trying to use it and its only a book!

Easdale: Film Music (The Red Shoes/ Battle Of The River Plate/ Kew Gardens)
Easdale: Film Music (The Red Shoes/ Battle Of The River Plate/ Kew Gardens)

5.0 out of 5 stars Music from Gone to Earth - a masterpiece now restored, 19 Jun 2011
A fantastic recording with suites from Easdale's Gone to Earth (aka The Wild Heart). A masterpiece of film scoring and have been waiting for a proper recording of this to be released since I first saw the film as a child. Easdale was a genius and this is a wonderful tribute. CD of the year in the world of film music with music from Black Narcissus and others too - don't hesitate - BUY IT
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2013 2:19 AM BST

Barry is a Nice Name
Barry is a Nice Name
by David Catchpole

5.0 out of 5 stars Roller coaster read and revealing of the 60's, 23 Feb 2011
This review is from: Barry is a Nice Name (Paperback)
Highly reccomend this un-put-downable book about life in South London in the 50's and 60's; about the blues boom in the UK (Peter Green, John Mayall, Eric Clapton et al) and its impact on young musicians, keen to form their own bands. And a social history of one of the last of the great but dog-eared British Grammer Schools - the Strand, situated in Brixton - South London. Almost certainly to be a major feature film, probably featuring Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp, but who they will play can be anybody's guess. A must-read.

I Could Be Anyone
I Could Be Anyone
by Matthew Scurfield

5.0 out of 5 stars A great social account of life in the 60's, 20 Sep 2010
This review is from: I Could Be Anyone (Paperback)
In some ways as with many autobiographies, a book you can dip in and out of - but when you put it down to consider what you have just read, you'll return very quickly to read on. Beautifully written roller coaster account of an actor's life, a man who I remember from his time with Steven Berkoff's Physical theatre company the London Theatre group playing 'Dad' in the play 'East.' From a number of co-incidences our paths had intertwined over the years: I knew some of the author (Matt Scurfield's) family in the early 1980's, and in the 70's knew Steven Berkoff too - but that's another story. If you are interested in discovering what life was like for young people in the swinging sixties, then this is a great read, but there is much more. Moving and compelling and highly reccomended.

Thomson Top Up TV - 160GB Freeview Digital TV Recorder
Thomson Top Up TV - 160GB Freeview Digital TV Recorder

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish, 9 Feb 2010
Constantly mis-records, has a nervous breakdown and freezes. Avoid - i am amazed the product still exists. One star is far too high a score. about to bin mine - I haven't even the nerve to donate it to charity.

Long Time Comin
Long Time Comin

1.0 out of 5 stars What have they done to this great album?!!!!, 28 Jan 2008
This review is from: Long Time Comin (Audio CD)
What have they done to this fantastic record? It is supposed to be remastered - the sound is compressed to the point of being unlistenable. Even my old english sheepdog put her head under her cushion and wailed. Proof that CD's dont always deliver. I was so disappointed and now hunting out the original LP instead - sorry great music - dreadful CD version.

Into The Blues
Into The Blues

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album for years, 3 Sep 2007
This review is from: Into The Blues (Audio CD)
Afraid this is going to just be short as I'm short on time but had to pass on the reccomendation. It's a terrific album, maybe the best she has ever done (OK maybe not quite but close) and I've been playing it for months. Highly reccomended another like this please!

Invasion of the Wire Ones (LONGMAN BOOK PROJECT)
Invasion of the Wire Ones (LONGMAN BOOK PROJECT)
by Laurence Staig

5.0 out of 5 stars Invasion of the Wire Ones, 2 May 2007
The synopsis displayed by Amazon is not written by the author and is completely incorrect. This book is about the INvasion of Earth by an alien race of Coat Hangers! It is funny and a spoof on B Movies and people's obsession with Aliens and the paranormal as well as the UK Education system. I should know - I wrote it! It has just sold over 20,000 copies this year (in Ghana - really!).

From the "real" Author Laurence Staig