Profile for Dr. Michael Heron > Reviews

Content by Dr. Michael Heron
Top Reviewer Ranking: 703

Dr. Michael Heron
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Pinzon Ultrasoft Cotton, Dark Grey, Double Duvet Set with 2 pillowcases
Pinzon Ultrasoft Cotton, Dark Grey, Double Duvet Set with 2 pillowcases

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine for the price, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is much better bedding out there, and with more generous bed set allowances, but for the price you can't really complain. It looks nice, feels nice, and had a sufficient feel of quality to justify having them as a secondary or even primary set of bedding. If you want to treat your house guests nicely, this would be a good way of accomplishing the goal.

SanDisk Connect 64 GB Wireless Media Drive (SDWS1-064G-E57)
SanDisk Connect 64 GB Wireless Media Drive (SDWS1-064G-E57)

4.0 out of 5 stars A breeze to set up and use, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's not really much I can say about this other than it's a joy to use. Two minutes after opening the box, I was streaming a movie from the drive directly to my tablet and then to my phone. It's well presented, solidly built, with reasonable storage and a price-tag that isn't too eye-wateringly high. However, it does require you to go through the provided sandisk app software and seems to have some issues with DRMed files. Those two reasons knock a star off, but otherwise a great device.

Fat Gripz - The Ultimate Arm Builder
Fat Gripz - The Ultimate Arm Builder

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 20 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For something so simple, they work remarkably well. They really do exactly what they claim to do - you can really feel the impact they have on training, However, I'd say they're a bit on the pricey size for what they are - comfortable and effective as they may be, it's still something you'll likely find cheaper elsewhere. I guess in the end it depends on what matters do you - you're obviously getting a good product with this, and perhaps then the extra money is worth it.

Bosch PMD 7 Digital Detector
Bosch PMD 7 Digital Detector

4.0 out of 5 stars Good even for idiots like me, 12 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not the world's greatest at DIY, and to be honest before I got this device I wouldn't even have thought of looking for wires and studs before taking a hammer to the wall[1]. Now that I know it's a thing I need to do, I'll always have this device handy. The colour coded warnings are clear enough for even an idiot like me to understand. My only consideration is that given how specialised the device is, I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay the sticker price for it.

[1] Good luck to date has I guess protected me in the past.

ThermaCare Therapeutic Heat Wraps for Pain Relief - Neck,Shoulder and Wrist -3 Wraps

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so great, 5 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have regular shoulder pains, especially when working for any length of time at a computer[1]. Ibuprofen works reasonably well but I was hoping to be able to cut down on those with something like these. Unfortunately, I can't say I noticed any improvement at all from my experimentation. No matter where they were positioned, they did nothing to relieve my pain.

[1] Which is 90% of my waking time.

Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse
Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars An Almost Perfect Mouse, 1 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Seriously, this is a tremendously good mouse - incredibly responsive, very ergonomic, and with a whole pile of extra features bundled up into one lovely wireless bundle. I'm not the world's biggest fan of wireless mice in general - the constant changing of batteries to my mind is too big a cost for too little a benefit. However, this one knocks my other gaming mice out of the park.

It has one small flaw though, and that's in the positioning of the buttons. There are six of these along the side where the thumb can access - just the right amount, in my view. However, there are moulded, non-responsive bits of plastic at the top and bottom of the buttons and their only role appears to be decorative. When my thumb seeks out a button, it will more often than not hit the moulded plastic rather than the button I want. So far, constant use hasn't trained me out of that behaviour.

Still, a minor gripe of an excellent product.

Lenovo S5000 7-inch Tablet (Silver Grey Metal) - (Quad Core 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, 2x Camera, Android 4.2)
Offered by FairTrade4U

4.0 out of 5 stars Great with a couple of provisos, 1 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I recently bought an Xperia 10" tablet - I've never really looked at the smaller 7" once, working on the basic assumption that 'bigger is better'. I was very surprised then to find myself using this little tablet in preference to my larger, beefier one. Turns out the form factor is much more convenient, and I'm less likely to slip and hit myself in the face with it when browsing in bed . It can be held relatively comfortably in a single hand for long periods of time.

The display is crisp and sharp, and the device is very responsive. The camera on it is a little bit on the poor side, but it's not really something that I really care about. I'm very happy with it as a device.

But

There are a few minor quibbles with it. The first is a strange bespoke android install that doesn't do things the way most devices do - there's no 'apps' tray for example that I can find, meaning everything appears on the main window. There are some other strangenesses too. It's not a big deal by any stretch of the imagination, but an annoying little quirk. The second thing is more substantial in that it doesn't come with an SD card slot. I know that's typical of devices in this price range, but it is a very significant downside to an otherwise great tablet.

As to a recommendation - it's a lovely device, but the question you need to ask yourself is whether it's worth the price given how some other tablets offer greater specs for only a small extra outlay. I certainly don't feel the *need* for any more in the tablet, but your mileage will of course vary.

Sony Xperia Z 10.1 inch Tablet (Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 1.5GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 16GB Storage, WiFi, 2x Camera, Integrated Graphics, Android  4.2)
Sony Xperia Z 10.1 inch Tablet (Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 1.5GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 16GB Storage, WiFi, 2x Camera, Integrated Graphics, Android 4.2)
Offered by AP-Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Jan 2014
I've had this tablet for a couple of months now. I've had an iPad before, but it never really clicked - I couldn't see where it fit in my day to day life. I don't have any other Apple products, so it was always a world unto itself and never gave me much of an opportunity to 'pool resources' across a family of devices. But, we used it quite a lot for, for example, playing media while cooking. So when the iPad looked like it was going to leave our lives, I bought this as a replacement.

It's sleek, light, and attractive in its design - in every way, it outclasses the iPad in these respects. It's also much more responsive than other Android tablets I've used - it doesn't lag or stutter, and the display is crystal clear. I had a small problem early on in that an SD card I used in it ended up corrupted beyond repair, but the new one I put in to replace it hasn't had the slightest issue so I'm not sure if responsibility for that lies with the tablet or the card itself.

Wholeheartedly recommended.

Case Logic Sleeve for 9-10 inch Tablet
Case Logic Sleeve for 9-10 inch Tablet

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 15 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a nicely padded case that is ideal for transporting the smaller-form factor of larger tablets. It doesn't offer much in the way of aesthetics, but it does everything you'd need a case to do. It even has a pocket at the front for holding your little extras like headphones and SD cards. Perfectly functional, worth the money, and while it won't set the world of fire I can't imagine you having any real regrets as a result of buying it.

Case Logic QTS210K Sleeve for iPad/10.1 inch Tablet
Case Logic QTS210K Sleeve for iPad/10.1 inch Tablet

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, 15 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's not much room to spare if you have a 10.1 inch tablet, but I found it could sheathe mine if you don't mind a (very) snug fit. However, while it's well cushioned and protected my tablet from one fall, it's ugly, heavy and not something I think I'd be keen on using as a primary case. The foldable stand is nice, but the snug fit of the case means that if you need to access any of the controls around the rim of the device it becomes an awkward chore.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20