Profile for J. A. Allen > Reviews

Content by J. A. Allen

J. A. Allen "J-M A" (England, UK)

Jacob's Room
Jacob's Room

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful novel, but missing inset songs, poems and quotations, 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Jacob's Room (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely love this novel, it's magical. Unfortunately the kindle edition being sold here is missing inset quotes/songs/poems from the characters so sometimes you might get

"""
"Ah," sighed Clara, who stood beside Jacob, half-way through.

sang Elsbeth Siddons.
"""
(Chapter 7, Loc 1037)

without ever discovering what she sang. It's a little sad, but not unforgivable (especially considering it's a free edition). I would use it to discover whether you like it and then investigate to see if any of the paid-for-but-cheap editions for Kindle are actually complete.

Integral Mobile Card Reader 9-in-1
Integral Mobile Card Reader 9-in-1

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy, cheap and functional. But you get what you pay for., 25 May 2007
Truthfully it is hard to justify such a high score, as this is an item that does what it says on the tin, and nothing more. But that's all it's supposed to do, and it does it well.

No drivers required, XP just takes a couple of seconds to work out how to handle the device once plugged in and away you go. I've tested it with 2 different SD cards (16MB and 512MB) and they work with no problems, as does the 512MB MicroSD (trans-flash) card that I use with it.

The build seems solid, but too light for my liking, it feels as though more care could have been put into the build, but the build quality doesn't rattle and everything is secure. The material's shortfalls are justified by the price.

There are two potential problems that I see with this device, both are easily avoided with the most minute amount of care. The first is there is no indication as to which way up the cards should be inserted. You should find that they only go in one way, so don't force them too hard. It is fairly easy to find out by experiment how they fit in, but don't break your card in the process.

The potential problem I found is while it is connected to my PC. Now this may just be a problem with my not-quite-so-perfect PC or my incredibly old USB extension splitter thing that I used to connect it (which takes and external power supply). But I found that the device got very hot when using my MicroSD card in it, and it hadn't been left in for that long. Granted I had trasferred lots to it in a short space of time, but it still worried me a bit, you don't want your memory cards melting in there. So just a word of advice: copy you files, disconnect the device immediately, and only reconnect when you want to transfer files back. Don't work on files straight off the device.

Pity to concentrate on the fallbacks of what is essentially a very functional, versatile, portable and cheap device.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2008 12:23 PM BST