Profile for Tim D. > Reviews

Content by Tim D.

Tim D.

Beginning Google Maps API 3 (Expert's Voice in Web Development)
Beginning Google Maps API 3 (Expert's Voice in Web Development)
by Gabriel Svennerberg

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book for beginners, 22 Jun. 2014
I bought this book because I was converting from Google's v.2 API to v.3. As such it's just about enough, but I could have used something more advanced. However, the title says 'Beginning...' and it lives up to that. I'd certainly recommend it for anyone new to Google Maps.

ASUS Google Nexus 7 7-inch Tablet (2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC)
ASUS Google Nexus 7 7-inch Tablet (2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC)
Offered by Connected247

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent 7-inch tablet, 22 Jun. 2014
This is an excellent device. I'm really pleased that I decided to go for the smaller format. Does everything I need and lots more.

InventCase Asus Nexus 7 FHD Tablet (2nd Generation - 7-Inch) 2013 Smart Multi-Functional 3-Fold Hard Back Case Cover with Sleep Wake Function - Black
Offered by Sunny Savers Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 22 Jun. 2014
A simple and effective case which does a good job of protecting my tablet. Can't ask for much more than that at the price.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 - 3 User - 1 Year (PC) [Download]
Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 - 3 User - 1 Year (PC) [Download]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, some installation issues, 22 Jun. 2014
I bought this product because it was the 'Winner' in a review of security systems in PCPro magazine. It seems to be doing a good job (you only know about security systems when they fail, of course).

I was irritated by the installation process for my three devices. Having downloaded the program once (and copied it across to the other two devices) I found that during installation an update had to be downloaded EACH TIME. For someone on a slow and capped connection this is extremely annoying. Apart from that there were no other installation problems.

PortaPow Specialised Fast Charging Micro USB Cable for Blackberry, Xperia, HTC One, Google Nexus, Other Fast Charging Devices

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't fit my Galaxy Ace phone, 16 May 2014
It fits my Nexus 7 and works fine. It doesn't fit what appears to be an identical socket on my Galaxy Ace phone (though it might if I forced it, which I'm reluctant to do). I'm puzzled by this. Are there two slightly different standards for this connector ?

Responsive Web Design with Html5 and Css3
Responsive Web Design with Html5 and Css3
by Ben Frain

4.0 out of 5 stars Starts well but suffers from lack of colour, 21 Dec. 2013
I found the first part of this book very useful and informative. Later chapters which deal more with small changes to the layout suffered badly from lack of colour in the illustrations. It is often very difficult to see the effect of the changes described.
I have downloaded the code but am currently struggling to make it work on my local server. This may be my fault, not the book's, but a bit of help in the introductory text would have been useful.

Build Your Own Wicked Wordpress Themes
Build Your Own Wicked Wordpress Themes
by Alan Cole

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for general principles of WordPress design, 1 Jun. 2013
The book is good as far as it goes. I'd hoped for deeper understanding of the way the various WordPress menus work together, perhaps working from the default themes supplied rather than from a (simpler ?) one which I now need to go and download.

Panasonic Breadpan Kit
Panasonic Breadpan Kit
Offered by cherrypickelectronics

5.0 out of 5 stars New pan rejuvenates bread-maker, 1 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Panasonic Breadpan Kit
Our bread-maker is some eight years old now, and we've replaced the paddle previously. We'd reached the point where it was difficult to get the loaves out, so a new pan was indicated. It has transformed our bread-making, the loaves now slide out without banging the hop pan on the work-top. Yes, we're delighted.

DELL 860-10161 - UltraSharp U2412M 24 INCH LED monitor Black
DELL 860-10161 - UltraSharp U2412M 24 INCH LED monitor Black
Offered by PCBuyIT Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Monitor meets every expectation, 15 Sept. 2012
I'd been using a 19" CRT monitor for years, on the grounds that if it ain't broke don't fix it. But I finally realised it wasn't new glasses I needed. but a new monitor. The old one was no longer sharp. This Dell monitor is superb, and the extra width (and height, it's 16:10 against the more usual 16:9) make it much easier to have several overlapping windows open at the same time. It was a doddle to set up, and it worked straight out of the box (don't be put off by the large notice which says full resolution can only be obtained by running the supplied CD). I would have liked more specific information about the connectors available, the list of what customers bought with this monitor was misleading (lots of Display Port leads, apparently). In the event the supplied DVI cable works fine.

Smashing CSS: Professional Techniques for Modern Layout (Smashing Magazine Book Series)
by Eric Meyer

4.0 out of 5 stars Smashing CSS book, 21 May 2011
This is an excellent book, bringing together many of the latest tricks in CSS. It's not specifically a 'CSS3 Primer', but contains examples of how to do stuff in CSS2.1 as well as CSS3. Well written and easy to read.