Profile for Savannah > Reviews

Shantaram
Shantaram
by Gregory David Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but way to long, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Shantaram (Paperback)
I have very mixed feelings about this book, as approx 30% of it was very good and a real page turner. However the remaining part was really boring and I sometimes caught myself skimming pages, which is never a good sign. There was some very interesting perspectives on Indian mafia life, and society in general, although it's hard to know which is fiction and which is actually real. I would not read this book again and I'm not sure I would recommend it.

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games
by Suzanne Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars What a ride!, 2 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
Even though this is a teenage novel and it sort of falls in the same category as The Twilight Saga, I found it extremely entertaining. This futuristic world the author has build as a setting for this book is very interesting and makes you think that this could actually be a possible future world! It's inspired by the reality shows of today and make it just a little bit more extreme, probably to portray the thin line between where we are today and where we could go in the future. However also to portray what happens to people when they are placed in an unreal world and challenged to their limit. The main character is really cool and smart and you immediately feel sympathy for her and the mission she's on, which makes the more thrilling to follow her through all of the hurt and pain during the Hunger Games. I'm definitely on for the sequel.

Sarah's Key
Sarah's Key
by Tatiana De Rosnay

5.0 out of 5 stars A story from the heart, 1 Aug 2012
This review is from: Sarah's Key (Paperback)
Sometimes the burden of the past is to much to bear, to atrocious to talk about but to important to forget. This is a beautiful yet tragic story about how the past, long forgotten, suddenly interferes with the present, forcing the narrator to relate to the horrors of holocaust. I really enjoyed the way the book switches between the two narrators, telling both sides of the story. You get to know the two characters, what they think and feel and the dilemmas they are constantly facing. So when in the middle of the book one of the stories are left behind, it really becomes a page turner. I read the rest at almost one sitting, no noticing the hours go by and ended it with tears in my eyes, wanting more.

Shiver
Shiver
by Maggie Stiefvater

4.0 out of 5 stars Twilight Saga ambience, 12 April 2012
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
It's been some years now since I read The Twilight Saga (TS) and I was ready for another shot of a super natural love story, which is why I picked up "Shiver". You will not be disappointed if that is what you are expecting because it's very similar to the writing and ambience of TS. However I did feel that Shiver had a bit more of a teenage thing clinging to the storytelling....or maybe I'm just getting to old for these type of books :) The characters are likeable and the story is good, so all in all an enjoyable read. I am yet undecided wether to read the sequels.

The Sense of an Ending
The Sense of an Ending
by Julian Barnes

2.0 out of 5 stars 50/50, 23 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Sense of an Ending (Hardcover)
The book is short, but the first half still bored me so much that I was about to leave it in the pile of "not worth spending one more minute on". But half way through the book it shifts and a mystery and a little bit of suspense kicks in. However all of the characters either bored me or irritated me. The only character you really got to know was the narrator, which lived a sad and insignificant life and had no real story to tell. I would not recommend this book.

Three Cups Of Tea
Three Cups Of Tea
by Greg Mortenson

4.0 out of 5 stars An enlightening read, 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: Three Cups Of Tea (Paperback)
I am a wiser and more knowledgable person after reading this book, and I like that. I like that I get to experience another Pakistan and Afghanistan than the one portrayed by the media, and I love the fact that there's someone like Greg in this world. I wish there were more like him. It is a great story about a man falling in love with a people that he sets out on a lifelong mission to help them in any way he can. The story is interesting and involving. However I do feel that there are way to many names, towns and places, which annoyed me a bit sometime. A mapping of the area and the people would have been very helpful.

Freedom
Freedom
by Jonathan Franzen

4.0 out of 5 stars Your history shapes your future, 19 Jun 2011
This review is from: Freedom (Paperback)
What we have in our backpacks influence the people we will become when we grow up and grow old. Sometimes these memories are a burden and weigh us down, making us unable to form the path that we really wish to follow in this life. This family tale is about just that. The narrator changes from each chapter which is very cool, because you get to see the story from different point of views. Although I do not sympathize with any of the characters I still found them all fascinating in their own kind of way and I felt sorry for the loss and for all of the disappointments and frustration they suffer. This is not a romantic story of the life you wish you had but a realistic portrait of a middle-class american family in present time. Entertaining and thoughtful!

The Wilderness
The Wilderness
by Samantha Harvey

3.0 out of 5 stars Just as confusing as the main character must feel, 14 May 2011
This review is from: The Wilderness (Paperback)
The story is not particularly interesting, nothing much happens and the everyday life of the main character is rather dull. However what makes it a little bit interesting is the insight you get to the frustrated mind of an Alzheimer patient. The book is often a bit confusing, jumping in time and place, but then that must be how it feels to live with this terrible disease. I did not feel like my time was wasted reading this, but I still would not recommend it as a "Must Read"

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay....but only okay, 4 April 2011
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
The introduction to this book made me look forward to reading it. I thought the story sounded wonderful and in fairness it is a great story, it's just not told in a very interesting way. I had a hard time with this book in the beginning, it took me several weeks just to get through the first 50 pages, and actually I was a bit bored with it until probably half way through. When the two people stop writing letters and start interacting it got a bit more interesting. However I was never touched or moved by the characters, often I just felt a little bit irritated with them, because they kept making stupid choices. It has a sad ending, but I did not feel sad reading it, and normally I would be in tears by a sad story. Anyway, it's okay for the poolside on a hot summer holiday, or if you pick it up for free at a youth hostel somewhere in the world.

The Angel's Game
The Angel's Game
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

4.0 out of 5 stars A slow start with a dramatic ending, 23 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Angel's Game (Paperback)
It took me a while to get through The Angel's Game. I wasn't bored but I wasn't overly entertained either. Every night I would read 10-20 pages and then I felt I had had enough. I think the book starts out well introducing the main characters and their relationship, but the main part of the book is just slow and the story never reaches the same suspense level as The Shadow of the Wind. However the final approx. 60 pages is a pleasant surprise. The pace is fast and all of the loose ends are bound together nicely, lifting the rating of the novel from three to four stars. I love the fact that you don't not get all of your questions answered but need to draw your own conclusion, is it just a mind game or is it supernatural...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3