Profile for Savannah > Reviews

The Gargoyle
The Gargoyle
by Andrew Davidson

3.0 out of 5 stars A quirky book that failed to impress me, 2 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Gargoyle (Paperback)
It's a risk reading a review and thinking that a high score is a guarantee for success, but that was what I did with this book. I really thought it would blow me away but when I finished it I thought "was that it!". I liked the story. In it's basic form it's unusual, quirky and sweet. I liked the small stories within in the story, and the fact that it's up to the reader to decide what is real and what is not. However the characters never grew on me, the book was lengthy and I thought the ending was quite disappointing.

The Gift of Rain
The Gift of Rain
by Tan Twan Eng

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional and heartbreaking read, 29 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Gift of Rain (Paperback)
A wonderful and heartbreaking story, which is beautifully written. I love that initially you meet the main character in his old days, where after many years he finally find peace by sharing his unbearable memories with someone who will not judge his choices in life. It is a story of surviving the cruelties of war, of integrity, of the need to belong, of family bonds and of duties. However most of all it is a love story, which to the very end will test our main characters loyalty. A love story which both repelled and captivated me, and in the end left me undecided. Please pick up this book and read it, it is a book experience not to be missed!

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars From displeased to moved, 24 May 2010
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
I went through three phases with this book. At first when I started reading I found it very strange and couldn't really get my head around the style of writing. However after 50 pages I went into a content state of mind, I was entertained but not to the extend where I felt I couldn't let the book down. The last 50 pages surprised me though, it was tearful reading, and to be honest I had not expected to feel this moved. This is why the book has received 4 stars and not 3.

Yes Man
Yes Man
by Danny Wallace
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars If you can stick through the first 200 pages you'll be fine, 21 Feb 2010
This review is from: Yes Man (Paperback)
The book starts out really well, with me smiling and laughing regularly on the first 10-20 pages. However it soon stops and then I have go through almost 200 pages of rather dull and trivial descriptions of what Danny does to stick to his "Yes Manifesto". However at page 198 "The Challenger" arrives and gives the book a twist and finally a sense of suspense, which lifts the overall rating of the book from two to three stars. There are some really funny and interesting situations Danny gets himself in because of his yes project, but mostly its just silly and a waste of time. I would not recommend this book to my friends.

The Host
The Host
by Stephenie Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Stephanie does it again, 20 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Host (Hardcover)
It's been a year since reading The Twilight Saga and now was the time to grab another Stephanie Meyer book, and I was not disappointed. I guess it comes down to the style of writing, which I absolutely love. She has a way of describing people, places and emotions that is so engaging that you you cannot help falling in love with the characters. Be prepared to have your heart torn between two characters in this book as well. Thumbs up for the way she manages to handle one person with two souls. In the beginning it was a bit confusing but as soon as I got to know the two stories and personalities a bit more it was very well written. If you loved the other books, you will definately love this one as well. Enjoy!

Purple Hibiscus (P.S.)
Purple Hibiscus (P.S.)
by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars First 100 pages are dull - after that a decent read, 28 Oct 2009
This review is from: Purple Hibiscus (P.S.) (Paperback)
I had nearly given up on this book as I felt really bored reading the first 100 pages. Nothing really happened and the story didn't really interest me. But I had read the good reviews so I kept on reading. After about 100 pages the story took a turn and an interesting development in the characters started to unfold, which took the book to the next level. It actually started to build up a "no-return" dilemma which resulted in a surprising ending. However I felt a bit annoyed with all of the African words tossed around in the text, which is never once explained, and I never felt that I really understood any of the characters as there was always something unsaid, which I think was a shame. The book is a decent read, but I would not buy it as a present for anyone.

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
by Malcolm Gladwell
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not a page-turner, 10 Oct 2009
My expectations were high having read the tipping point a few years ago, which I very much enjoyed. However this book from Malcolm Gladwell was a bit disappointing. Everytime I picked it up I read about 10-15 pages and then I felt a bit bored. Some passages was better than others but in all it seemed like the subject was to narrow for a whole book and I felt that the supporting real life examples sometimes dragged on forever.

The White Tiger
The White Tiger
by Aravind Adiga

2.0 out of 5 stars It's okay! Nothing more, nothing less, 7 Jun 2009
This review is from: The White Tiger (Paperback)
Maybe my expectations were to high after having read the reviews and having people recommending it as an excellent read. However I do not share their enthusiasm. I think it's an okay book, nothing more, nothing less. I found the story lengthy and it never managed to engage me. On top of that it portrays India as a country full of greed, hate, poverty, corruption, pollution and lack of quality of life. I'm sure it's just one side of the story, but it can be a rather depressing read. Use it to kill time in an airport, or spend some more time searching for that excellent book experience that we are all constantly craving for :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2009 11:17 AM BST

The Forgotten Garden
The Forgotten Garden
by Kate Morton

4.0 out of 5 stars Three books in one, 20 April 2009
This review is from: The Forgotten Garden (Paperback)
"Memory is a cruel mistress with whom we all must learn to dance" - this sentence pretty much sums it all up. This book is about the importance of knowing ones past in order to shape ones future. It's a brilliant read, which I very much enjoyed. The book covers the same story from three different time perspectives. It slowly reveals the big picture, jumping from one passage to the next just when you're about to uncover important details, leaving you as a reader longing for more of everything at the same time. I love the beautiful little fairytales, which you encounter during the read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2011 3:42 PM BST

The Gift
The Gift
by Cecelia Ahern

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read - entertaining story, 16 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Gift (Hardcover)
This book is a nice, short, sweet story about appreciating the important aspect of life - time! It's nothing revolutionary, but it's entertaining and enjoyable. It has a supernatural twist, which you do not expect and therefore do not really know how to relate to.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3