Profile for John W. Irvine > Reviews

Content by John W. Irvine

John W. Irvine (New Zealand)

The Bean Book (Essential Vegetarian Collection Series)
The Bean Book (Essential Vegetarian Collection Series)
by Rose Elliot
Price: 7.69

4.0 out of 5 stars This book was the genesis for my interest in vegetarian cooking, 3 Jan 2007
I see above that some purchasers are unhappy with the book. That is their right. I think one thing needs to be taken into account with vegetarian cooking: it's mostly bland. That's my experience. But the concepts are fine, and the meld of unknown and unfamiliar ingredients is excellent.

Any cook worth their salt can take a recipe that is sound and ponce it up to their personal tastes.

I bought Rose's book 25 years ago during an intense relationship with a vegetarian lady. I was already a pretty fair cook in the meat style, and I saw this as a challenge. Rose's recipes weren't hot/spicy enough for me, but her constructions are superlative. You want chili? Add some. If you are a rigid cookbook cook, the maybe you need The Woman's Weekly cookbook and not this one.

I still have the original paperback book I bought in Australia--used it tonight, in fact-- but the pages have begun to fall out from use. This wee book has been a mainstay on three continents for me, and now I'm forced to purchase a new one.

For you knockers out there I say.... learn to cook.

Cheers, John Irvine
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2013 8:44 AM BST